Loudoun Co. school board meeting on critical race theory/trans policy turns chaotic, 2 ppl arrested
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:03:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Loudoun Co. school board meeting on critical race theory/trans policy turns chaotic, 2 ppl arrested
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Loudoun Co. school board meeting on critical race theory/trans policy turns chaotic, 2 ppl arrested  (Read 1073 times)
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2021, 10:44:57 AM »

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/northern-virginia/loudoun-school-board-transgender-student-policy-race-equity/2708185/

One man was arrested, another man was ticketed for trespassing and a third person was hurt at a chaotic public meeting Tuesday on equity issues in Loudoun County Public Schools.

Parents fired up about a proposed policy on the treatment of transgender students — as well as how schools should teach about race — held up signs, chanted and sang the national anthem at the Loudoun County School Board meeting.

Security at the Northern Virginia meeting was high after board members received death threats, as they did earlier this spring. State troopers assisted county sheriff’s deputies.

The school board unanimously voted to shut down the public comment portion of the meeting after repeatedly issuing warnings about decorum and disruptions.

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 10:47:44 AM »

Once again, critical race theory is not a real thing that is actually being taught in schools.  Can anyone point to a single school in the country where critical race theory is being taught?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 10:53:37 AM »

Once again, critical race theory is not a real thing that is actually being taught in schools.  Can anyone point to a single school in the country where critical race theory is being taught?

They just don’t want actual history taught because it America look bad like the Tulsa Race Massacre and the Tuskegee Syphilis Study. Teaching those is “un-American” I guess.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 10:55:13 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2021, 07:04:47 PM by lfromnj »

Once again, critical race theory is not a real thing that is actually being taught in schools.  Can anyone point to a single school in the country where critical race theory is being taught?
https://news.yahoo.com/amazon-donated-hundreds-copies-ibram-144550798.html
In a follow-up email, the Arlington diversity officer requested 550 copies of Stamped with accompanying study guides “to really make this investment impactful.”
A few dozen miles away
Kendi is CRT, or whatever the definition is. Amazon may have donated the books but the school has decided to create a curriculum out of Kendi and they originally requested the books.

On the actual note though, these parents are very cringe and some of the offenders should be punished very harshly.

I admit myself I first saw this issue as pure red meat for a GOP base but after seeing the whining by DEI firms after Trump's executive order I realized it actually did have a decent effect.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2021/05/03/critical-race-theory-backlash/
Loudoun spokesman Wayde Byard confirmed the video was authentic, from a college-level English class that teaches students to “explore literature through applying a variety of literary theories.” The teacher was explaining how critical race theory works, Byard said, as one of several theories studied including structuralism, deconstructionism and feminism.

Funnily enough they literally admitted to it that they do teach the concept . Describing like this isn't that bad, although the lesson was absurd.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 10:56:14 AM »

So is Loudon county the new meme county Atlas looks at?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 10:56:42 AM »

Parents demanding what they think is best for their kids has been happening at school board meetings for a long time.  
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 11:07:36 AM »

This episode and these courageous parents give me a glimmer of hope that Youngkin might actually pull it off. And it also shows me that this, THIS, is how we can STOP thy bleeding in the suburbs!

Of course, I don’t want to be mistaken for a wishcaster. I said might, Atlasian mob!
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 11:21:15 AM »

It's not just this they are making a scene over. The local school board where I live adopted guidelines for a sex education curriculum and conservatives have been coming to the meeting claiming that the board members engage in incest and have screamed about the curriculum teaching "butt licking" when it doesn't teach any such thing. The one conservative member on the board was defeated last year and she has practically created her own cult to go harass the school board.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 11:23:24 AM »

Suburban parenthood is pure brain-rot.

This episode and these courageous parents give me a glimmer of hope that Youngkin might actually pull it off. And it also shows me that this, THIS, is how we can STOP thy bleeding in the suburbs!

I doubt that many of the most vocal people here were competitive votes anyway, and this probably changes very little regarding the opinions of most on these issues except further entrenching them.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 11:31:34 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2021, 11:58:58 AM by DrScholl »

Of course, I don’t want to be mistaken for a wishcaster. I said might, Atlasian mob!

The only thing that loser can pull off is his clothes to pay Trump in kind for an endorsement. These parents are the dying gasps of a dying power structure. Your time is up.
WindowPhil
United States
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 11:32:13 AM »

Ironic they're singing "the land of the free" when they want to prevent transgender people from transitioning.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 11:33:40 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2021, 02:13:13 PM by Josh Shapiro for Governor »

Lol. The migrant caravan and MS-13 didn't do the trick back in 2018. The black face, sexual assault, and "post-birth abortion" controversies didn't help the Republicans hold the legislature in 2019. And finally, the lockdowns didn't keep Trump from losing the state by double digits in 2020. However, THIS will finally turn back the tide in Virginia!

I swear, we go through this every single year.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 11:38:39 AM »

So is Loudon county the new meme county Atlas looks at?
relationship ended with Elliott County
Loudoun County is new best friend
Tongue
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 11:49:15 AM »

The only thing that loser can pull off is his clothes to pay Trump in kind for an endorsement. This parents are the dying gasps of a dying power structure. Your time is up.

This is genocidal rhetoric.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 11:59:48 AM »

The only thing that loser can pull off is his clothes to pay Trump in kind for an endorsement. This parents are the dying gasps of a dying power structure. Your time is up.

Your time in control is up. If that offends you then that is your issue.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 12:02:43 PM »

CRT is overwhelmingly unpopular with the American people, including independents, college educated Whites and many non-Whites (particularly Hispanics and Asians).

So I don’t understand how this means that our time in control is somehow up. I’d also be courteous enough to remind you that your party controls all three branches of government but literally cannot get anything passed, (which is good for our nation!).
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2021, 12:02:52 PM »

Once again, critical race theory is not a real thing that is actually being taught in schools.  Can anyone point to a single school in the country where critical race theory is being taught?
In a follow-up email, the Arlington diversity officer requested 550 copies of Stamped with accompanying study guides “to really make this investment impactful.”
A few dozen miles away
Kendi is CRT, or whatever the definition is. Amazon may have donated the books but the school has decided to create a curriculum out of Kendi and they originally requested the books.

On the actual note though, these parents are very cringe and some of the offenders should be punished very harshly.

I admit myself I first saw this issue as pure red meat for a GOP base but after seeing the whining by DEI firms after Trump's executive order I realized it actually did have a decent effect.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2021/05/03/critical-race-theory-backlash/
Loudoun spokesman Wayde Byard confirmed the video was authentic, from a college-level English class that teaches students to “explore literature through applying a variety of literary theories.” The teacher was explaining how critical race theory works, Byard said, as one of several theories studied including structuralism, deconstructionism and feminism.

Funnily enough they literally admitted to it that they do teach the concept .

This seems like a one-off event where the diversity officer wanted the students to read a book about racism, which is worlds away from a formal integration of CRT into the curriculum.

When I was in middle/high school I had to read all sorts of random one-off books because a teacher thought they would be good for everyone to read and discuss, or just as part of some state or national program.  I don't think learning what critical race theory is is necessarily a bad thing.  Students should be exposed to a wide variety of ideologies, both secular and religious, so they can understand the different viewpoints and forces that shape our world.  Just having them read this book is not indoctrination any more than my having read The Communist Manifesto for a history class was indoctrinating me to become a communist.  It's a learning experience.  Now if they were forced to say that they agree with the book, or asked leading questions for their homework to prove that they've learned the lessons the book wanted them to learn, then I would be opposed to that.

That's very different from the "indoctrination" that's being claimed by the right.  For the record I would also support students reading well-known right-wing material so they can be exposed to those ideas as well.  You need context to be able to think critically, understand the world around you, and empathize with those who think differently from you.  We can't have a functional education system if the entire country gets up in arms about "indoctrination" every time we try to have kids read something espousing that viewpoint.  Frankly I think kids should be reading The Protocols of the Elders of Zion in school because it's the foundational anti-semitic work that shaped so much right-wing ideology over the 20th century.  And then they should read Night to get a contrasting viewpoint.

The "NPFH anti-racism Pledge" that they're trying to get 75% of students to sign seems a lot more objectionable to me.  That's much more indoctrination-sounding, depending on what's in the pledge.  Again, though, this is no different from the various "anti-bullying" pledges that I was asked to sign when I was in school.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2021, 12:05:59 PM »

CRT is overwhelmingly unpopular with the American people, including independents, college educated Whites and many non-Whites (particularly Hispanics and Asians).

So I don’t understand how this means that our time in control is somehow up. I’d also be courteous enough to remind you that your party controls all three branches of government but literally cannot get anything passed, (which is good for our nation!).

In 10 years this country will be less white and conservative than it ever has been. The white grievance rhetoric is on it's last leg, because fewer people are buying that. That's why white conservatives are increasingly resorting to violence to make their points.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2021, 12:09:28 PM »

In 10 years this country will be less white and conservative than it ever has been. The white grievance rhetoric is on it's last leg, because fewer people are buying that. That's why white conservatives are increasingly resorting to violence to make their points.

Why are non-Whites trending conservative and why do many of them clearly dislike CRT?

And why are you so viciously bigoted against White conservatives, or conservatives of any races? I would note that the radicals on the far left burnt down a ridiculous amount of cities and private property last summer, lest you forget.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2021, 12:16:08 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2021, 12:34:15 PM by lfromnj »

A few dozen miles away

Funnily enough they literally admitted to it that they do teach the concept .

snip

https://defendinged.org/incidents/instead-of-hot-spots-amazon-donates-for-stamped-books-and-author-talk/

Read the emails, the specific goals are to get the students indulged into "anti-racism"which as Kendi defines it is, an absurd concept.

I realize Amazons target for black history but we all know that anti-racism work requires all allies. Our collective ask is that we open up the possible opportunity for other HS students to listen to Kendi/Reynolds

I don't have any issue with expanding critical thinking. I learnt about Marxist critical analysis in HS as  part of one many different types of critical analysis and it was fine. The teacher just taught it, with no desire for the indoctrination.

Fairfax county also wants to implement it.

Now that I established CRT is being taught in NOVA the question is what should be done?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2021, 12:16:28 PM »

We control the SCOTUS? News to me!
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2021, 12:17:02 PM »

LOL because your party had such an impressive run at the helm from 2017-2019.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2021, 12:18:56 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2021, 07:16:52 PM by "?" »

Just here to get on board before the CRT/Woke/SJW thread of the day gets to 3+ pages
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2021, 12:19:01 PM »

LOL because your party had such an impressive run at the helm from 2017-2019.

My party doesn’t chase pies in the sky akin to how rapacious grade school aged children chase candies in the closet, so there’s that.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2021, 01:05:39 PM »

We control the SCOTUS? News to me!

Exactly. Let's not mistaken this user as someone who knows what s/he is talking about.
The BS is vomiting out his mouth and onto our screen.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies