Why are men still seen as children well into adulthood by older family members?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:35:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Why are men still seen as children well into adulthood by older family members?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are men still seen as children well into adulthood by older family members?  (Read 196 times)
WindowPhil
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2021, 07:15:43 AM »

I don't know if it's something weird about my family, but I've noticed it.

Adults seem to be more fine with young women doing adult things than they are with young men doing them (Watching rated R movies, playing Cards Against Humanity with older family members, drinking alcohol in a family context)

Adult men in their early 20s are often times relegated to the "kids table", when 15 year old girls often sit at the adult table (ok maybe an exaggeration, but you get the point)

It's common for older family members to say "Wow she's so grown up" etc about a woman but still use diminutives (IE "Billy" instead of "Bill") about a man well into adulthood.

Etc.

I'm sure if one of the 25 year old nephews brought his wife to the family reunion, they'd have to sleep in separate beds. But the 25 year old niece could sleep in the same bed as her husband no problem. (Maybe an exaggeration again, but I'm just guessing since I haven't seen it happen)

Why are men seen by older family members as "Permanent Children", but women are seen as adults from a young age?

What needs to happen for men to be seen as adults by family, or is it a permanent thing that they're always seen as children?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 01:16:34 PM »

I have never experienced anything like this in my entire life, this might be a you thing.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 01:47:48 PM »

Girls do mature faster than boys, it's been proven. But I think the situation you describe is a bit of an exaggeration.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies