What countries have the closest socioeconomic analogues to these groups in the United States?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 01:19:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What countries have the closest socioeconomic analogues to these groups in the United States?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What countries have the closest socioeconomic analogues to these groups in the United States?  (Read 442 times)
WindowPhil
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2021, 05:21:16 PM »
« edited: June 22, 2021, 05:24:18 PM by WindowPhil »

Black Americans (or I suppose the minority situation in general) who disproportionately live in sections of metropolitan areas and face disproportionate problems with poverty (such as being unbanked) and other negative outcomes.

I can't think of any countries that have populations that are disproportionately unbanked, disproportionately lack government ID (and extension ability to vote), and speak a dialect that is unique to the surrounding population.

White Conservative Christians who are disproportionately wealthy and socially conservative relative to the surrounding population.

And By Extension

White Conservative Christian lobbying pressure. Which includes things like censorship of over the air media content, political debates over social issues, and overall Moralist influence in society.

Latino immigrants, who are  large enough to allow for television channels and radio stations to air content that is in a language that isn't historically tied to the country.

(forgot to include) Super progressive cities like San Francisco that are disproportionately socially progressive relative to the country's population.

You can think outside the box on these. Perhaps the closest analogue to America's white conservative Christians is in a majority Buddhist country. Perhaps the closest analogue to Black Americans isn't distinguished by race, but some other factor.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 08:07:33 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2021, 08:19:04 PM by mileslunn »

Black Americans (or I suppose the minority situation in general) who disproportionately live in sections of metropolitan areas and face disproportionate problems with poverty (such as being unbanked) and other negative outcomes.

I can't think of any countries that have populations that are disproportionately unbanked, disproportionately lack government ID (and extension ability to vote), and speak a dialect that is unique to the surrounding population.

None exactly same, but probably best comparison I can think of is Arabs in France.

White Conservative Christians who are disproportionately wealthy and socially conservative relative to the surrounding population.

This is a tough one.  Even some like Catholic church in Ireland, Catholic church in Malta who were like this say 20 years ago have lost a lot of clout since.  Perhaps Orthodox church in Russia and Islamic faith in Turkey, but neither are liberal democracies like US is.

White Conservative Christian lobbying pressure. Which includes things like censorship of over the air media content, political debates over social issues, and overall Moralist influence in society.

In most East Asian countries they are pretty strict on this and even more so in Middle East, but more cultural norms than a specific group.

Latino immigrants, who are  large enough to allow for television channels and radio stations to air content that is in a language that isn't historically tied to the country.

While not national per se, in Vancouver where I live, Chinese community and East Indian community a lot like this.  Many radio stations and newspapers in Cantonese and Punjabi here.  Although not immigrants per se, best example I can think of is Russian minority in Estonia and Latvia who have large language population and whole network.  But most moved while part of the USSR.

(forgot to include) Super progressive cities like San Francisco that are disproportionately socially progressive relative to the country's population.

For UK, Bristol would sort of be an example of this.  In Israel, Tel Aviv is increasingly becoming this as Tel Aviv is very liberal unlike much of the rest of the country which is quite conservative.  Amsterdam is also this since despite the reputation of Dutch being very liberal, much of the country is actually fairly conservative while Amsterdam with its marijuana coffee shops, red light district is in a lot of ways Europe's version of San Francisco. 
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 07:38:02 AM »

Some parts of the Netherlands (Urk!) are in fact amongst the most conservative in W Europe.

It really does have great variety for such a relatively small and populous country.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 11:57:22 AM »

Some parts of the Netherlands (Urk!) are in fact amongst the most conservative in W Europe.

It really does have great variety for such a relatively small and populous country.
Yeah, they have a party that basically was forced to allow women by law.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 12:21:32 PM »

Black people i guess might be the Roma? Weak comparison for many reasons but it's the closest i can come to, would argue that the Roma are significantly worse off

Turkish people are basically the Mexicans of Germany

Super liberal cities would maybe be Green-voting inner cities, e.g. city centers of Hamburg, Berlin, Köln, etc.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 08:41:11 AM »

I think this is the same party that still "shuts" its website on Sundays?
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 12:14:39 PM »

I think this is the same party that still "shuts" its website on Sundays?
Yeah, they are popular in the central part of the country.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 01:55:40 AM »

Where do you get the idea that white Christians are disproportionately wealthy? They might be disproportionately not poor. I think Jews, Indians, and maybe groups like Lebanese would be disproportionately wealthy. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies