Supreme Court rules unanimously in favor of college athletes against NCAA limitations.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 01:25:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Supreme Court rules unanimously in favor of college athletes against NCAA limitations.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Supreme Court rules unanimously in favor of college athletes against NCAA limitations.  (Read 1280 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2021, 09:45:45 AM »
« edited: June 21, 2021, 09:48:58 AM by The End to the Epic »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 10:05:53 AM »

From Kavanaugh's opinion, it sounds like the NCAA would lose a case for non-education payments (which this case does not address).

"Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different. The NCAA is not above the law."
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 10:15:47 AM »

Good decision.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 10:29:12 AM »

Based.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 10:35:11 AM »

A ruling against the NCAA looked fairly certain from the start; this is what I said at the time of the oral arguments:

SCOTUS heard arguments today in NCAA v. Alston, the college athlete compensation/antitrust case. The results? Ain't looking too hot for the NCAA; Thomas, Alito, and Kagan in particular sounded pretty done with the fig leaf of "amateurism" that the NCAA uses to justify not paying players. See the quote below from Alito:

As to today's opinion, it's fairly narrow; it focuses only on the NCAA's arguments against the lower court decision and does not go further than the district court decision to strike ALL NCAA compensation rules as many wanted. Instead, the only NCAA rules struck down relate to educational/school specific compensation. It does lay the groundwork for a broader player pay case though; the NCAA has long argued that its compensation rules should be given wide deference by courts under antitrust rules as it is a joint venture with many members offering a unique product. Some previous decisions on the issue have given the NCAA the wider latitude they wanted. The Court did definitely reject that and say that anti-trust challenges to the NCAA get the normal ("rule of reason") level of review of potentially anti-competitive features.

Kavenaugh's concurring opinion is very useful. It points out that while everything in the opinion is correct, the NCAA's other rules against paying players are highly suspect. It also points out, like I did, that the Court's opinion knocks the NCAA off its pedestal of antitrust special-treatment. It then goes further and says that he believes the NCAA lacks any justification under the rule of reason to deny payment to players. After proclaiming open season on the NCAA, Kavanaugh encourages (one might even say "threatens") the NCAA to try to settle the payment issue with players without needing more lawsuits through legislation or collective bargaining by the students. It can be basically guaranteed from this that if the full compensation issue came up Kavanaugh would side with the students.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 11:07:27 AM »

I personally don’t think that players should be paid, but it is unfair that the NCAA gets rn make millions off their likeness and work.
WindowPhil
United States
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 11:09:05 AM »

These 9-0 decisions make me wonder when we'll see a justice who's not an originalist, but says they "think how liberal justices decide cases and do the opposite" and also say "as long as there's liberals on the court, there'll be no 9-0 decisions when I'm on it.".

Or would such a person be Bork'd even by Mitch McConnell?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 11:24:07 AM »

Does it mean anything that no one else joined Kavanaugh’s concurrence?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 11:27:41 AM »

Not really as justices don't always like to make opinions beyond the scope of the case. Kavanaugh has been a bit of an exception to that. If he's supporting striking down a ban on payment than I can't see see such a case failing unless Roberts isn't or one of the liberals takes a surprising stance against it.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 11:36:17 AM »

On this case in particular I don't think so. The concurrence doesn't really say much about the case at hand, it just sort of expresses Kavanaugh's opinion as to future cases and how he thinks relevant parties should act moving forward. No reason for the others to put their name to something that doesn't add anything to the present case. Most of the others already made their opinions on the NCAA pretty clear at oral arguments; the NCAA doesn't have too many friends on the Court.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 11:47:04 AM »

Gorsuch's opinion was actually pretty simple, it was basically "The lower courts upheld this as an anti-trust violation and we don't see any reason why they're wrong." Kavanaugh obviously wanted to speak a bit more on it, but not doing so doesn't equal disagreement.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 12:16:44 PM »

I personally don’t think that players should be paid, but it is unfair that the NCAA gets rn make millions off their likeness and work.

They get full scholarship and if they are good enough some get millions, the Baseball and NBA contracts are getting ridiculous 30 M for Pitcher, QB and High priced Basketball players

Anthony Davis and kuzma and Kyrie Irving and Bellinger got injured
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 12:25:30 PM »

Not really as justices don't always like to make opinions beyond the scope of the case. Kavanaugh has been a bit of an exception to that. If he's supporting striking down a ban on payment than I can't see see such a case failing unless Roberts isn't or one of the liberals takes a surprising stance against it.

A lot of stuff like this (along with the sports betting case) have actually seen the conservative justices more supportive of the plaintiffs.  I imagine that it was due to a free market sort of belief (i.e. the NCAA is violating capitalism by restricting what players can make).
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 12:33:28 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2021, 01:29:00 PM by GP270watch »

Eventually they're gonna have to pay the top tier athletes at D1 schools for Basketball and Football, they bring in too much money to not enjoy a share of it. It's exploitation and unsurprisingly there is a racial component to it that is blatant and obvious.

In something like 40 states, sports coaches are the highest-paid public employees, that is crazy.

Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 12:48:50 PM »

Eventually they're gonna have to pay the top tier athletes at D1 schools for Basketball and Football, they bring in too much money to not enjoy a share of it. It's exploitation and unsurprisingly there is a racial component to it that is blatant and obvious.

In something like 40 States, Sports Coaches are the Highest-Paid Public Employees, that is crazy.

Kavanaugh actually highlighted those points in his opinion.

Quote from: Justice Kavanaugh's Concurrence
The bottom line is that the NCAA and its member colleges are suppressing the pay of student athletes who collectively generate billions of dollars in revenues for colleges every year. Those enormous sums of money flow to seemingly everyone except the student athletes. College presidents, athletic directors, coaches, conference commissioners, and NCAA executives take in six- and seven-figure salaries. Colleges build lavish new facilities. But the student athletes who generate the revenues, many of whom are African American and from lower-income backgrounds, end up with little or nothing.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2021, 01:01:07 PM »

Good decision.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2021, 09:31:16 PM »

They get full scholarship and if they are good enough some get millions, the Baseball and NBA contracts are getting ridiculous 30 M for Pitcher, QB and High priced Basketball players

Anthony Davis and kuzma and Kyrie Irving and Bellinger got injured

Oh no I agree, in most cases their scholarships should be enough. But there are some *extremely* talented student athletes that the schools make obscene amounts of money on.

I’d love for college sports just to get regulated back into the amateur level (cap coaches’ & adminstrators’ pay, etc.), but paying athletes just seems to be the simpler move.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2021, 09:35:30 PM »

From Kavanaugh's opinion, it sounds like the NCAA would lose a case for non-education payments (which this case does not address).

"Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different. The NCAA is not above the law."

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2021, 11:47:03 PM »

The Court should have gone a step further and declared the entire existence of either amateur or professional sports (take your pick as to which one) unconstitutional.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2021, 01:43:14 AM »

The Court should have gone a step further and declared the entire existence of either amateur or professional sports (take your pick as to which one) unconstitutional.
Wut?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2021, 01:44:53 AM »

Wut?

Personally, if I were on the court, I would have written a dissent arguing that the concept of amateur sports violates the thirteenth amendment. It's basically slavery in another form.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2021, 02:24:03 AM »

Wut?

Personally, if I were on the court, I would have written a dissent arguing that the concept of amateur sports violates the thirteenth amendment. It's basically slavery in another form.

It's not because nobody has to participate in an amateur sport.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2021, 09:22:31 AM »

I think it's outrageous that a billion+ dollar institution like this is tax exempt. 
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2021, 09:28:44 AM »

Wut?

No it's not
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2021, 11:39:07 AM »

If the NBA and the NFL (and the NHL and WNBA to a lesser extent) paid for their own minor leagues, this would be much less of an issue.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies