Which of the following politicians are anti-Semitic?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 06:38:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which of the following politicians are anti-Semitic?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Ilhan Omar

Jeremy Corbyn

Donald Trump

Josh Hawley

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of the following politicians are anti-Semitic?  (Read 971 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2021, 11:27:38 PM »

Vote for all politicians you view as anti-Semitic.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 12:05:07 AM »

All of the above.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 12:20:46 AM »

NOTA
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 10:07:27 AM »

None of them are, but Trump is the most ridiculous inclusion in this list. Yes, I'm totally sure the world's biggest Netanyahu fanboy with the Jewish daughter is a raging anti-Semite. I'm sure that's how the Palestinians see him, too.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 10:26:48 AM »

Corbyn , and Omar .

Also the fact Corbyn has the least amount of voters on here is ridiculous
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 10:31:40 AM »

Omar is obviously an anti-Semite, there's just no getting around it.

Corbyn at best turned a blind eye to anti-Semitism in his party and inner circle, and some of his own statements and actions have been pretty suspect.

Trump probably is casually anti-Semitic in the sense that he propagates stereotypes about Jews (good with money, good lawyers, etc.) as he does just about every other race/ethnicity, and of course he doesn't seem to care if some of his fans are Nazis, but I don't think he personally and actively hates Jews. His own son-in-law and (by conversion) daughter are Jews, and he is obviously quite close to them.

Hawley is many things but I don't know of any evidence that he's anti-Semitic.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 11:07:04 AM »

Look back at some of the things he said around the time of Janet Yellen's confirmation hearings. In my view and that of many others, he was not-so-subtly invoking "cultural Marxism" talking points that have their roots in anti-Semitic conspiracy theories.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 11:18:32 AM »

First 3.

Omar and Corbyn are obvious. Trump embraces the racist stereotype that Jews are greedy and conniving, but the only difference is he considers that a good thing.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 01:22:33 PM »

This “all lefties I don’t like who are also critical of Israel are anti-Semites” schtick is getting really stale
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 02:00:17 PM »

This “all lefties I don’t like who are also critical of Israel are anti-Semites” schtick is getting really stale

Especially coupled with the downplaying of Trump’s obvious antisemitism from AB. Ilhan Omar is obviously a Jew-hater because she criticized the Israeli lobby, but Trump believing that Jews are inherently good with money or whatever is more complicated.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 08:23:51 PM »

Corbyn and Omar are overtly antisemitic. Trump's antisemitism is odd, but it's there. It's basically the "I Want a Jew" song from Family Guy.

Hawley...I wouldn't doubt it, given how 95% of populist right movements go, but there's just no clear evidence yet so I didn't feel right voting yes.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 09:36:55 PM »

Are you under the impression that I'm pro-Israel?

"Palestine should be freed from Isaeli oppression" and "Omar is an anti-Semtie" are not mutually exclusive beliefs.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 10:14:50 PM »

Are you under the impression that I'm pro-Israel?

"Palestine should be freed from Isaeli oppression" and "Omar is an anti-Semtie" are not mutually exclusive beliefs.
What anti-Semitic stuff has Omar said?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2021, 10:17:50 PM »

None of them are, but Trump is the most ridiculous inclusion in this list. Yes, I'm totally sure the world's biggest Netanyahu fanboy with the Jewish daughter is a raging anti-Semite. I'm sure that's how the Palestinians see him, too.

I've never fully understood why Trump is considered by some to be an anti-Semite, either. I wouldn't be surprised if he buys into stereotypes about Jews, but his staunch support of Israel throughout his Administration and his son-in-law (as you note), cannot be ignored.

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2021, 10:22:49 PM »

Corbyn and Omar are overtly antisemitic. Trump's antisemitism is odd, but it's there. It's basically the "I Want a Jew" song from Family Guy.

Hawley...I wouldn't doubt it, given how 95% of populist right movements go, but there's just no clear evidence yet so I didn't feel right voting yes.

It's "I Need a Jew".   Not that he particularly wants one, but he's in desperate straights you see.  Your Welcome.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2021, 12:10:59 AM »

I've never fully understood why Trump is considered by some to be an anti-Semite, either. I wouldn't be surprised if he buys into stereotypes about Jews, but his staunch support of Israel throughout his Administration and his son-in-law (as you note), cannot be ignored.

He staunchly supported Israel because, having entered office with no concrete knowledge of (nor any firm convictions regarding) any geopolitical issue, he went along with whatever his advisors told him to do (i.e. blindly aligning himself with the GOP's agenda on nearly every issue). In my opinion, it's naive to think that his support of Israel was anything more than that, and certainly naive to think that it was some sort of showing of genuine solidarity with Jewish people.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2021, 02:56:10 PM »

That's the issue: he views jews and the government of israel as one and the same: see his complaint that jews were disloyal and the characterization of netanyahu as "your prime minister". Trump views American Jews as inherently foreign interlopers, not as citizens.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2021, 03:03:59 PM »

I seriously doubt that Trump is antisemitic; don't know about the other ones, though.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2021, 01:57:43 PM »

Look back at some of the things he said around the time of Janet Yellen's confirmation hearings. In my view and that of many others, he was not-so-subtly invoking "cultural Marxism" talking points that have their roots in anti-Semitic conspiracy theories.

"Cultural Marxism" is not anti-Semitic.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2021, 02:46:40 PM »

It may not be in common parlance, but its origin is in a conspiracy theory about Jewish critical theorists destroying Western values or whatever. I can't help but feel that the Ivy League-educated Hawley would know about these implications and not describe a Jew with those terms unless he was intent on that connotation.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2021, 02:58:42 PM »

Hawley might be. None of the other three are. Including Corbyn in particular is laughable.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2021, 03:11:16 PM »

It may not be in common parlance, but its origin is in a conspiracy theory about Jewish critical theorists destroying Western values or whatever. I can't help but feel that the Ivy League-educated Hawley would know about these implications and not describe a Jew with those terms unless he was intent on that connotation.

Just because a phrase has offensive origins does not mean that everyone who uses it intends to reference those connotations. In Hawley's case, I suspect he assumes that A) The term doesn't have anti-Semitic connotations for most listeners, and B) Those who accuse him of anti-Semitism will be relying on a tenuous and obscure connotation that will weaken their argument and make them look oversensitive. This is a clever strategy, and it will continue to work until leftists can learn to pick their battles.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2021, 05:24:01 PM »

Why is it that whenever you ask someone to explain how Omar or Corbyn are anti-Semitic, no one ever offers an explanation?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2021, 09:41:56 PM »

Why is it that whenever you ask someone to explain how Omar or Corbyn are anti-Semitic, no one ever offers an explanation?

They're not, they just call out Israel.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2021, 01:44:05 AM »

Basically none. Trump believes Jewish stereotypes but isn't 'anti-semetic' per se, and neither is Omar; she just opposes Israel and the Israeli government. Corbyn isn't exactly anti-semetic either. And I'm not aware of any evidence of Hawley being anti-semetic, though he is terrible in many ways.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies