How many seats do the GOP need to end up with to be sure they can elect a Speaker (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:33:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How many seats do the GOP need to end up with to be sure they can elect a Speaker (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How many seats do the GOP need to end up with to be sure they can elect a Speaker  (Read 1388 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« on: June 17, 2021, 11:04:46 AM »

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 07:19:11 PM »

Lmao.  The odds a non-Republican ends up as Speaker is still near-zero. 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 11:08:37 PM »

We'll see. I believe it's quite likely that the winner is ultimately a moderate compromise candidate (who may be a Republican like Fitzpatrick, or a Blue Dog type Democrat).

I actually think, given the 19 House GOPers who aren't budging from their anti-McCarthy stance, McCarthy's road to the speakership lies in somehow forging some kind of a compromise with the Democrats to win some of their votes. It's highly unlikely.

I mean, really. How do you see this playing out for a *conservative* Republican to win the speakership? Like, what likely scenario do you see wherein McCarthy or Jordan or somebody like them actually gets 218?

There is back room dealing to get enough HFC/Dems to abstain from voting, thus giving McCarthy the majority he needs. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies