How many seats do the GOP need to end up with to be sure they can elect a Speaker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:17:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How many seats do the GOP need to end up with to be sure they can elect a Speaker
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How many seats do the GOP need to end up with to be sure they can elect a Speaker  (Read 1386 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2023, 07:22:02 PM »

We'll see. I believe it's quite likely that the winner is ultimately a moderate compromise candidate (who may be a Republican like Fitzpatrick, or a Blue Dog type Democrat).

I actually think, given the 19 House GOPers who aren't budging from their anti-McCarthy stance, McCarthy's road to the speakership lies in somehow forging some kind of a compromise with the Democrats to win some of their votes. It's highly unlikely.

I mean, really. How do you see this playing out for a *conservative* Republican to win the speakership? Like, what likely scenario do you see wherein McCarthy or Jordan or somebody like them actually gets 218?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2023, 11:08:37 PM »

We'll see. I believe it's quite likely that the winner is ultimately a moderate compromise candidate (who may be a Republican like Fitzpatrick, or a Blue Dog type Democrat).

I actually think, given the 19 House GOPers who aren't budging from their anti-McCarthy stance, McCarthy's road to the speakership lies in somehow forging some kind of a compromise with the Democrats to win some of their votes. It's highly unlikely.

I mean, really. How do you see this playing out for a *conservative* Republican to win the speakership? Like, what likely scenario do you see wherein McCarthy or Jordan or somebody like them actually gets 218?

There is back room dealing to get enough HFC/Dems to abstain from voting, thus giving McCarthy the majority he needs. 
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2023, 11:28:34 PM »

There is back room dealing to get enough HFC/Dems to abstain from voting, thus giving McCarthy the majority he needs.  

Why would Democrats abstain?

I think Jordan might be able to do it, though he'd probably have trouble with the moderate wing. Scalise might also be able to get the votes, we don't know what the HFC thinks of him.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2023, 11:50:09 PM »

Actually, in considering a possible backroom deal between McCarthy and the Democrats (as I did in multiple posts in the main thread for the Speakership vote), this scenario, as much sense as it makes, is one I didn't think of. Instead of Democrats directly voting McCarthy for speaker, which would understandably greatly anger Democratic voters, they could just avoid voting to lower the denominator and get McCarthy over the finish line (after all, the magic number isn't necessarily 218; it's just 50%+1).

So yeah, I could see that happening for sure, and depending on what the Democrats would get in return, as well as how the likes of Bacon and Fitzpatrick actually feel about a coalition with the Democrats to elect a moderate to the Speakership, it could actually be a good idea for the Democrats to do this later on.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies