January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:45:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 136059 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2023, 03:10:17 PM »

Seems bad. Appeals court is going lightning speed but Trump can appeal en banc and then to SCOTUS with like 30 and 45 delays before "deciding" to do so, so the trial is most likely getting delayed now.

SCOTUS can easily decide to reject Cert in an appeal like they have done to many of Trump's petitions. Also being delayed doenst mean delayed past election.

A Trial in like August would be worse for Trump than a trial in March

Agreed on that.

The more things delayed, the more this gets pushed back into the heat of the presidential election.

I just wonder whether there's anything with regard to the trial or a possible verdict in conjunction with the timing of the election? Ergo, would the trial have to paused and/or the announcement of a verdict delayed when the election is just weeks away? Imagine a conviction around October 25 or so.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2024, 03:31:13 PM »

Judge rejects Trump request to hold Jack Smith in contempt in election interference case
Earlier this month, attorneys for Trump asked U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan to hold Smith in contempt for filing motions ahead of deadlines.

The judge overseeing the federal election interference case against former President Donald Trump has rejected his request to hold special counsel Jack Smith and his office in contempt.

Earlier this month, attorneys for Trump asked U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan to hold Smith in contempt for filing motions while the case is stayed pending Trump’s appeal on presidential immunity grounds.

Chutkan, however, said in her opinion and order Thursday that she agrees with Trump that Smith’s filings place a "cognizable" burden on him, and that although it was "not a major burden" for Trump's team to have to review Smith's filings, and that she would now forbid the special counsel from making substantive pretrial motions without permission going forward.

Chutkan has ordered that both parties be required to seek her permission before filing additional pre-trial motions while the stay order remains in effect.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/judge-trump-election-interference-case-declines-hold-special-counsel-j-rcna134536

This might have been the dumbest lawsuit Trump ever filled, even topping those against Clinton and CNN a year or two ago by demanding 500 million dollars.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2024, 03:28:16 PM »

The alternate mediaverse that most Republicans exist in has convinced them (of course) that Trump is being treated unfairly in all his court cases:

Most Republicans in new poll believe Trump’s legal cases are being handled ‘unfairly’

"It's unfair to be held accountable for criminal actions!"

But also, "lock her up!" and "hang Mike Pence."

The party of law & order, Ladies and Gentlemen.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2024, 03:35:36 PM »

I don't see how this can be spun as anything but good for Trump.

His delay tactics/volume of crimes are buying him time.

The potential still exists of him getting convicted entirely, and still before the election, but nobody (particularly Nikki Haley) should be counting on it. Keep this in the back of your mind, always, but he has to beaten politically if we are to enter next year with him disgraced as a loser yet again that can finally feel the harsh sting of accountability.

If Trump loses this year's election as well, it's quite possible we're talking about more indictments down the road. Because, well, he's not expected to concede this one either and get himself into more legal trouble in the aftermath of the 2024 election. He's certainly stupid enough and thinks he can get away with everything as he hasn't been convicted yet.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2024, 02:17:06 PM »

Send a big Thank-you letter to the Supreme Court. They should have taken Smith's case and immediately rule that the immunity claim is a bunch of nonsense. It's a joke this stuff can be dragged out so long.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2024, 03:05:05 PM »

F***ing finally! Why did this take so long?

I'm crossing my fingers every day that emailking is prescient.

Hopefully the Supreme Court now quickly throws out Trump's bogus arguments and the trial can finally get started. It's about time.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2024, 01:57:18 PM »

While I guess she can do that, with the goal of increasing his election chances, we should note the dismissal can be appealed and would likely be overturned and then the 11th circuit would surely assign the case to someone else at that point. So if Trump wins, it then comes down to whether a self pardon will be upheld by the courts or whether his DOJ can convince the new judge to drop the charges.

He will self-pardon for sure. You can bet on it.

Yes, though the cleanest way for a pardon would be to invoke the 25th Amendment for an hour, let the vice president acting as president sign a pardon declaration, and then resume presidential powers. I haven't read this somewhere yet, but that just makes sense to me.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2024, 03:29:31 PM »

My first acts as your next President will be to Close the Border, DRILL, BABY, DRILL, and Free the January 6 Hostages being wrongfully imprisoned!

That's Trump last night. I guess all J6 convictions are getting pardons on the dictator day, if he wins.

I hope this is worth putting this moron back in office because "Biden is old".
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies