January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 09:01:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 ... 152
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 148921 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3125 on: November 11, 2023, 08:40:26 PM »

Trump again attacks Special Counsel Jack Smith and his Family during New Hampshire Rally
https://edition.cnn.com/2023/11/11/politics/trump-jack-smith-family-attacks/index.html

For how long is Trump be allowed to do this!

Until November 20 or shortly afterwards.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3126 on: November 13, 2023, 04:26:14 PM »

https://www.emptywheel.net/2023/11/13/doj-accuses-donald-trump-of-asking-for-special-treatment-even-his-seditionists-didnt-get/

You’ve no doubt heard about the spat over whether Donald Trump’s DC trial should be televised (which court rules pretty much prohibit). Judge Chutkan allowed the parties to weigh in a media request to film the trial.

DOJ, after claiming to consult with Trump, filed an 18-page opposition, citing case law, but focusing especially on witness intimidation.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3127 on: November 13, 2023, 06:15:21 PM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3128 on: November 13, 2023, 06:20:05 PM »

Jack Smith sat in stone-cold silence as Trump lawyers pleaded with him not to indict: book

Special counsel Jack Smith took a meeting with attorneys representing former President Donald Trump earlier this year and reportedly sat in stone-cold silence while they pleaded with him not to indict their client.

Politico reports that ABC News reporter Jonathan Karl's new book on Trump's post-presidential life claims that Trump lawyers Trump attorneys Todd Blanche and John Lauro met with Smith's team over the summer and gave them a list of reasons why charging Trump with crimes related to his efforts to illegally remain in power would be a mistake.

According to Karl, Smith sat through through the presentation without saying a word.

"As Lauro spoke, the prosecutors took notes, but they said nothing," Karl reports. "Smith waited until Lauro was done speaking and then, without commenting on what he just heard, he bid the Trump lawyers farewell. According to sources with direct knowledge of the meeting, Smith did not ask a single question. And aside from the pleasantries at the start of the meeting (including the offer of a glass of water) and the goodbye at the end, neither Smith nor the two prosecutors said anything at all.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/jack-smith-sat-in-stone-cold-silence-as-trump-lawyers-pleaded-with-him-not-to-indict-book/ar-AA1jQmh7
pantsaregood
United States

« Reply #3129 on: November 13, 2023, 06:52:57 PM »

...I mean, how is that not special treatment?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3130 on: November 13, 2023, 06:58:12 PM »

So Jack Smith is a socially-awkward autist who doesn’t know how to mingle and engage with people. I could’ve figured that out without reading some book

Interesting you took that as a negative for Smith and not a negative for the defense, which I think is the point.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3131 on: November 13, 2023, 07:05:33 PM »

Special counsel Jack Smith took a meeting with attorneys representing former President Donald Trump earlier this year and reportedly sat in stone-cold silence while they pleaded with him not to indict their client.

Politico reports that ABC News reporter Jonathan Karl's new book on Trump's post-presidential life claims that Trump lawyers Trump attorneys Todd Blanche and John Lauro met with Smith's team over the summer and gave them a list of reasons why charging Trump with crimes related to his efforts to illegally remain in power would be a mistake.

According to Karl, Smith sat through through the presentation without saying a word.

"As Lauro spoke, the prosecutors took notes, but they said nothing," Karl reports. "Smith waited until Lauro was done speaking and then, without commenting on what he just heard, he bid the Trump lawyers farewell. According to sources with direct knowledge of the meeting, Smith did not ask a single question. And aside from the pleasantries at the start of the meeting (including the offer of a glass of water) and the goodbye at the end, neither Smith nor the two prosecutors said anything at all.

^^

So Jack Smith is a socially-awkward autist who doesn’t know how to mingle and engage with people. I could’ve figured that out without reading some book

This wasn't a cocktail party, although I imagine that Trump's lawyers might have wanted a few drinks afterward.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3132 on: November 13, 2023, 07:14:13 PM »

Particularly after they got hit with a superseding indictment in MAL a few hours later.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3133 on: November 13, 2023, 10:07:55 PM »

Donald John Trump is finished! It's over folks! There is the evidence. Trump wanted to remain in Power at all costs.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3134 on: November 13, 2023, 10:12:50 PM »

Deranged Jack Smith, Andrew Weissmann, Lisa Monaco, the “team of losers and misfits” from CREW, and all the rest of the Radical Left Zealots and Thugs who have been working illegally for years to “take me down,” will end up, because of their suffering from a horrible disease, TRUMP DERANGEMENT SYNDROME (TDS!), in a Mental Institution by the time my next term as President is successfully completed. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

^ Trump today. Seems like a threat.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3135 on: November 14, 2023, 01:37:32 AM »

"As Lauro spoke, the prosecutors took notes, but they said nothing," Karl reports. "Smith waited until Lauro was done speaking and then, without commenting on what he just heard, he bid the Trump lawyers farewell. According to sources with direct knowledge of the meeting, Smith did not ask a single question. And aside from the pleasantries at the start of the meeting (including the offer of a glass of water) and the goodbye at the end, neither Smith nor the two prosecutors said anything at all.

^^

Have you tried not being this awful?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3136 on: November 15, 2023, 02:31:57 AM »

^^

So Jack Smith is a socially-awkward autist who doesn’t know how to mingle and engage with people.

Small world.....
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3137 on: November 15, 2023, 01:18:45 PM »

Clay Higgins continues to contend for the most insane member of Congress:

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3138 on: November 15, 2023, 02:18:33 PM »

Nevada investigating fake electors
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3139 on: November 15, 2023, 07:24:30 PM »

So that's 4/6 now, just PA & WI still TBD
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #3140 on: November 16, 2023, 10:51:17 PM »

Isn’t he the one who believes that his wife has the gift of prophecy and who had a prophetic dream about a woke goon squad raiding their house for illegal food? I swear I’m not making this up.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3141 on: November 17, 2023, 02:06:36 AM »

Isn’t he the one who believes that his wife has the gift of prophecy and who had a prophetic dream about a woke goon squad raiding their house for illegal food? I swear I’m not making this up.

Sortition would result in better Congresspeople than electing Republicans does.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3142 on: November 17, 2023, 01:42:52 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2023, 01:45:54 PM by Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin »

Ohio man sentenced to nearly 5 years in prison for attacks on police during Capitol riot

Thomas was arrested in Huntsville, Alabama, in May 2021. In June 2023, a jury in Washington, D.C., convicted Thomas of assault charges and other offenses. Jurors also acquitted him of two counts, including obstruction of a congressional proceeding, and deadlocked on two other counts.
Thomas appeared to be streaming live video while attacking police, according to prosecutors.

“Despite Thomas’ persistent efforts to minimize and, in fact to valorize, his conduct, he was a key figure in a violent riot and assaulted numerous police officers,” prosecutors wrote.

This is the conduct that the Republican National Committee called, " ordinary citizens engaged in legitimate political discourse".

The Republican Party is a criminal, domestic terrorist organization and should be treated as such.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3143 on: November 20, 2023, 11:20:46 AM »

Trumps Gag Order is likely to be reinstated. Oral Arguments are underway in a D. C. Appeals Court as I write this.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3144 on: November 20, 2023, 06:02:35 PM »

Court Signals It Could Keep but Narrow Trump Election Case Gag Order
A federal appeals court panel is weighing how to balance the former president’s free-speech rights against insulating prosecutors, court personnel and potential witnesses from intimidation.

A federal appeals court in Washington appeared to signal at a hearing on Monday that it would keep in place at least some version of the gag order placed on former President Donald J. Trump in the criminal case accusing him of plotting to overturn the 2020 election.

But a three-judge panel of the court left open the possibility of adjusting the terms of the order or even narrowing the scope of the people covered by it, including by potentially freeing Mr. Trump to attack Jack Smith, the special counsel overseeing the federal cases against him.

The trial judge, Tanya S. Chutkan, imposed the gag order in October in Federal District Court in Washington. It forbade Mr. Trump to publicly malign any prosecutors, potential witnesses or court employees involved in the case.

But Judge Chutkan explicitly permitted Mr. Trump to criticize the Justice Department, President Biden and herself. She also allowed him to maintain that the prosecution itself was a partisan retaliation against him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/20/us/politics/trump-gag-order-election-court-case.html
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3145 on: November 21, 2023, 06:36:39 PM »

Johnson makes Jan. 6 footage available to public, makes good on promise to GOP

Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., is making good on his promise to House Republicans to release more than 40,000 hours of U.S. Capitol Security tapes related to the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the seat of the American government.

The release of the materials, Johnson said in a statement, are in keeping with his vow to make the footage accessible in the name of “truth and transparency.” A selection of video clips were released on the Committee on House Administration website on Friday.
The recently elected speaker said the first tranche of security footage, around 90 hours, would be released on a public committee website Friday, with the rest of the more than 40,000 hours expected to be posted over the next several months. In the meantime, a public viewing room will also be set up in the Capitol for viewing the footage.

This is the same footage given to once-popular white supremacist and Fox News propagandist Tucker Carlson back in March of this year.

I haven't had the time myself, but I wonder if the 0.025% of footage released so far captured  this memorable exchange from the GOP's foot soldiers:
Speaker 1: “CNN just said that they evacuated all members of Congress into a safety room.”

Speaker 2: “There’s no safe place in the United States for any of these motherf–kers right now. Let me tell you.”

Speaker 3: “I hope they understand that we are not joking around.”

Speaker 2: “It’s military principle 105, cave means grave.

Speaker 1: “Trump just tweeted, ‘Please support our Capitol Police. They are on our side. Do not harm them.'”

Speaker 2: “That’s saying a lot, but what he didn’t say, he didn’t say not to do anything to the congressmen.” (laughter)

Speaker 1: “Well, he did not ask them to stand down. He just said, stand by the Capitol Police. They are on our side, and they are good people. So it’s getting real down there. I got it on TV, and it’s, it’s looking pretty friggen radical to me.”

Speaker 1: “CNN said that Trump has egged this on, that he is egging it on, and that he is watching the country burn two weeks before he leaves office. He is not leaving office. I don’t give a sh**t what they say.”
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3146 on: November 28, 2023, 10:29:24 AM »

If Pence truly needed to be convinced by multiple people to not end the American experiment as we know it, he should not be heralded as a hero by anyone. This is not courage, this is spinelessness. Dictators depend on the weak to hand over power without a fuss. Pence was more than willing to do so. If anything, his son has 10x the backbone that he does. I never want to see another resistlib giving this sack of sh*t credit for J6. He didn't deserve praise to begin with, but this just further proves how close we really were to anarchy that day.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3147 on: November 28, 2023, 10:42:30 AM »

How long until the MAGA types start attacking Pence's son?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3148 on: November 28, 2023, 10:56:42 AM »

If Pence hadn't shown up I assume Grassley would have presided to the same result.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3149 on: November 28, 2023, 10:59:22 AM »

How long until the MAGA types start attacking Pence's son?

MAGA types? The fish stinks from the head. I wouldn't be surprised to read a long "Truth Social" rant by Mr. Trump in ALL CAPS very soon.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 ... 152  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies