January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:55:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 135894 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2022, 03:16:04 PM »

Would they hold a bench trial for Trump given I have zero idea if you can find an impartial jury for him

Isn't that decision up to Trump and his defense team, as he's entitled to a jury trial if he wants? If I'm Trump, I'm taking my chances with the jury since like you said, you'll never find an impartial jury. With 12 people, there's a very good chance you'll find at least one supporter.

It also is DC though and Trump lost DC by an 18:1 margin so that might not be the case.

1/12 is 8%, so it's pretty close to what he won in 2020. And he only needs 1 person.

Btw if you take the Biden's number in DC I calculated there is about a 37.5% chance every member on the jury would be a Biden supporter , on the other hand if you take the not Trump number there is about a 51.37% chance every member on the jury did not support Trump.

If you're arguing just for public acceptance of a conviction, it's a fair point. However, I don't think a vast majority of jury members just vote based on political preferences these days. I'd assume the jury takes their jobs very serious. It's even the same with conservative judges that ruled against Trump in certain cases. The politicization of the judical system is dangerous.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2022, 03:51:49 PM »

Would they hold a bench trial for Trump given I have zero idea if you can find an impartial jury for him

Isn't that decision up to Trump and his defense team, as he's entitled to a jury trial if he wants? If I'm Trump, I'm taking my chances with the jury since like you said, you'll never find an impartial jury. With 12 people, there's a very good chance you'll find at least one supporter.

It also is DC though and Trump lost DC by an 18:1 margin so that might not be the case.

1/12 is 8%, so it's pretty close to what he won in 2020. And he only needs 1 person.

Btw if you take the Biden's number in DC I calculated there is about a 37.5% chance every member on the jury would be a Biden supporter , on the other hand if you take the not Trump number there is about a 51.37% chance every member on the jury did not support Trump.

Trump has been impeached  stand FOREVER MORE and that is a blemish for 24 for him and DeSantis whom wants to Pardon Trump that's why DeSantis isn't gonna win VA the key state to win the Prez he is losing to Biden

Reagan should of been impeached for Iran Contra voters think he did nothing wrong, Bush H and Ollie North paid for their sins for Iran Contra they Lost

If Reagan should have been impeached for Iran Contra, so should have the vast majority of presidents since 1945 for their foreign policy actions. Iran Contra was bad but unlike Watergate and both of Trump's impeachments , Iran Contra was not done to advance Reagan's personal political interests and that is a huge difference

A difference? Yes, it wasn't done to enrich Reagan himself personally. However, it was clearly against the law. A main difficulty was far as I am concerned was to prove beyond a reasonable doubt how much Reagan was involved personally. He might not even have remembered due to early stages of Alzheimers. Watergate by contrast was a pretty clear case, though Nixon's sabotage of the Paris talks in 1968 was actually way worse than Watergate.

What's an impeachable offense is rather vague in the constitution. Pretty much what Gerald Ford once said: It's whatever the majority of the House decides.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2023, 03:31:20 PM »

Donny is projecting yet again.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2023, 01:41:09 PM »

Oath Keepers leader Stewart Rhodes sentenced to 18 years in prison for plot to keep Trump in power

Stewart Rhodes, the founder and leader of the Oath Keepers, was sentenced to 18 years in prison on Thursday for leading a far-reaching plot to keep then-President Donald Trump in power after he lost the 2020 election.

The sentence is the first handed down in over a decade for seditious conspiracy.

“A seditious conspiracy, when you take those two concepts and put it together, is among the most serious crimes an American can commit,” said District Judge Amit Mehta. “It is an offense against the government to use force. It is an offense against the people of our country.”

Mehta on Thursday previously ruled that Rhodes’ actions amounted to domestic terrorism.

“He was the one giving the orders,” Mehta said. “He was the one organizing the teams that day. He was the reason they were in fact in Washington DC. Oath Keepers wouldn’t have been there but for Stewart Rhodes, I don’t think anyone contends otherwise. He was the one who gave the order to go, and they went.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/25/politics/oath-keepers-sentencing-stewart-rhodes-kelly-meggs/index.html

18 years cause homeboy went on a selfie tour through the capitol which is normally open to the public but he went on the wrong day

Correct, because it was just tourist visit? The court system is truly biased against conservatives.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2023, 01:59:21 PM »

Great! This will wrap up the GOP nomination for Trump now. The more times he's indicted, the stronger he becomes.

I know we've all gotten numb to it, but it's actually insane when you think being indicted helps a candidate to secure the nomination. I couldn't imagine something like this in a Democratic primary.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2023, 01:51:48 PM »

Will such an indictment lead to an arrest?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2023, 12:09:22 AM »

It’s happened again: You’ve been indicted, Jack!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2023, 01:36:12 PM »

Even with the current ideological leaning, I seriously doubt the Supreme Court would have ruled that the vice president has the authority to overrule the outcome or throw out electors based on unproven accusations.

The real irony here is that the Electoral College was initially created to stop demagogues from entering the White House and it not just failed in 2016, it almost twice did so in 2020 (both the outcome and the congressional certifaction, which wouldn't have been necessary in a popular vote election).

The whole thing that upsets me - and certainly many others - is that one man is putting an entire country and frankly half the world through this drama just because his narcissistic personality disorder prevents him from admitting that he lost reelection. This is nothing more but his public theraphy over an event that traumatized him. The guy needs professional help behind locked doors and not distract the whole world with his BS. There are more important issues that deserve attention. If the Democrats are smart, they're exactly pushing this narrative and keep talking about economic issues, wages, climate change, abortion, infrastructure and alike.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2023, 12:43:39 PM »

Just dropping this: While the former guy is consumed with his indictment and preparing to appear before a court, the incumbent is having a good time.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2023, 01:43:10 PM »

Look, it’s not my fault that my political opponent in the Democrat Party, Crooked Joe Biden, has told his Attorney General to charge the leading (by far!) Republican Nominee & former President of the United States, me, with as many crimes as can be concocted so that he is forced to spend large amounts of time & money to defend himself. The Dems don’t want to run against me or they would not be doing this unprecedented weaponization of “Justice.” BUT SOON, IN 2024, IT WILL BE OUR TURN. MAGA!

I NEED ONE MORE INDICTMENT TO ENSURE MY ELECTION!

I AM NOW GOING TO WASHINGTON, D.C., TO BE ARRESTED FOR HAVING CHALLENGED A CORRUPT, RIGGED, & STOLEN ELECTION. IT IS A GREAT HONOR, BECAUSE I AM BEING ARRESTED FOR YOU. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!

Biden and his family steal Millions and Millions of Dollars, including BRIBES from foreign countries, and I’m headed to D.C. to be ARRESTED for protesting a CROOKED ELECTION. UNFAIR VENUE, UNFAIR JUDGE. We are a Nation in Decline. MAGA!!!

^ Trump today

It's like someone told an AI to do Fascist Leader Madlibs.

But with the writing style of a third grader.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2023, 02:39:24 PM »

Here's a NBC Live Stream as Trump heads to the court very shortly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PyPz40CzVM
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2023, 02:53:32 PM »

Protesters outside the courthouse holding signs with "TRUMP 20-24 years in prison". You love to see it!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2023, 03:02:39 PM »

Trump has been calling Smith deranged for weeks and they're reportedly sitting feet away right now.

He was also fingerprinted again. How embarrassing for a former president.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2023, 03:31:30 PM »

Via NBC: Presiding judge telling Trump it's illegal to try to influence a juror. LMAO!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2023, 03:36:59 PM »

Next court date via NBC on August 28.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2023, 03:53:27 PM »

Trump apparently wants to give a campaign speech at the airport in a few minutes. The guy is just so shameless and unhinged.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2023, 01:05:49 PM »

Jesus. This guy is beyond stupid. But there's a reason his staffers and attorneys always tried to avoid having him under oath, because he'd imediately incriminate himself since his lying is pathological.

There's clearly fear behind it, as his increasingly unhinged behavior shows. He should actually seek help from a psychatrist.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2023, 02:51:10 PM »

Nice! Since Cannon rejected that time slot for MAL it's left nicely open for this.

If they did that schedule we might have a verdict before Super Tuesday. Although my guess if the judge will give it a few more months given quantity of discovery.
TRUMP is going to get convicted before the General Election at least in one case, maybe more. That's the big thing here.

Good Luck to the Republican Party to cope with this!

To be honest, I'm not sure whether this will actually have an impact on the electorate in the November election. Anyone who's still with Trump as of today won't abandon him because of that as they just see this a a political conspiracy to silence him.

He might lose some institutional support or from Republican officeholders/donor circles, but it won't matter all that much. He won in 2016 without their support as well.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2023, 03:16:34 PM »

Nice! Since Cannon rejected that time slot for MAL it's left nicely open for this.

If they did that schedule we might have a verdict before Super Tuesday. Although my guess if the judge will give it a few more months given quantity of discovery.
TRUMP is going to get convicted before the General Election at least in one case, maybe more. That's the big thing here.

Good Luck to the Republican Party to cope with this!

To be honest, I'm not sure whether this will actually have an impact on the electorate in the November election. Anyone who's still with Trump as of today won't abandon him because of that as they just see this a a political conspiracy to silence him.

He might lose some institutional support or from Republican officeholders/donor circles, but it won't matter all that much. He won in 2016 without their support as well.

If Trump is convicted he won’t be able to give a Convention Speech , attend any of the debates or actively campaign at all . So the charisma factor wouldn’t benefit him here

What's going to stop him? No law or the constitution prevent it. Technically he could still be elected from jail. Republicans won't stand up after a criminal conviction beyond the usual suspects like Romney or Hogan, who have no say in the party these days.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2023, 03:10:14 PM »

If Trump even spends one day in prison for any of his crimes, then it would be one of the greatest things to happen in American history.

Hopefully, he serves at the very least a year in prison.

I still don't see Trump serving even one day in federal prison, even with a Democratic president. The pressure the latter will be under to pardon, let alone commute, Trump for the supposed "good of the country" would be enormous and I definitely don't see a centrist like Biden withstanding it. It's just like with the former Confederate leaders and Nixon.

LOL, absolutely owned like a dog.

I would have joked that I would consider it in case Trump fully publishes his tax returns and donated ten million dollars to a charity for migrant children.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2023, 01:23:16 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2023, 01:50:54 PM by President Johnson »

NEWS: the grand jury presentation in Atlanta is moving quicker than expected.  Some witnesses who were originally scheduled to testify tomorrow have been moved up to today.  It's possible, though not certain, that indictments will happen today.

The guy is racking up one indictment after another. Finally he's done something no president has ever managed the accomplish. It's incredible. Although it's actually sad and pathetic. Especially since he could have gotten away with a lot of stuff if he just conceded the election.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2023, 02:19:38 PM »

Here is Trump's reaction and hopefully he won't be able to say **** like this soon.

Biden Prosecutor, Deranged Jack Smith, has asked the Court to limit 45th President, and leading Republican Nominee (by more than 50 points, & beating Dems!) DONALD J. TRUMP’S, PUBLIC STATEMENTS. So, I’m campaigning for President against an incompetent person who has WEAPONIZED the DOJ & FBI to go after his Political Opponent, & I am not allowed to COMMENT? They Leak, Lie, & Sue, & they won’t allow me to SPEAK? How else would I explain that Jack Smith is DERANGED, or Crooked Joe is INCOMPETENT?

I think this tone crosses a line. I know the first amendment has quite wide bonds, but at one point it's got to stop. I'm sure a defendant wouldn't get away with this in Germany. And rightfully so.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2023, 02:53:13 PM »

Trump can be held civilly liable in Jan. 6 riot, judges rule

Donald Trump can be held civilly liable for the actions of the mob that attacked the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, an appeals court ruled Friday in a long-awaited decision that could clear the way for lawsuits seeking financial damages from the former president.

The unanimous decision by a federal appeals court in Washington is expected to be appealed and also offers insight into how the court could view Trump’s argument that presidential immunity also protects him from being charged criminally for his efforts to stay in power after the 2020 election.

Two U.S. Capitol police officers and about a dozen Democratic lawmakers sued Trump in 2021, saying he potentially instigated violence on Jan. 6 by telling supporters the election was stolen and urging them to march to the Capitol and “fight like hell.” The plaintiffs sued under a roughly 150-year-old law that bars the use of force, threats or intimidation to prevent government officials from carrying out their duties and allows anyone injured by such actions to collect damages.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/12/01/trump-can-be-sued-jan-6-immunity/

Huge blowback for Trump. CNN legal scholars argue this ruling could be a real precedent for years to come and potentially more legal trouble for him.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2023, 03:52:58 PM »

When is the Supreme Court expected to rule on this?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2023, 02:51:36 PM »

How was the rejection decided? By a vote of the nine on the bench?

The whole question is such a no-brainer. In no democratic country the head of government should be totally immune from prosection for their actions. Especially when it comes to overturning an election and inciting an insurrection. Even if you're a partisan hack, why would you want to give any succeeding president a carte blanche for illegal behavior?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies