January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:18:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 149
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 135078 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2021, 07:52:29 AM »

A judge has released a rioter into house arrest, finding him too stupid to pose any major threat to society.

Doug Jensen, a QAnon conspiracy theorist who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6 in support of former President Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election, was ordered released on home incarceration by a federal judge on Tuesday. Jensen, who was among the first rioters to enter the seat of the legislative branch of the federal government and chased U.S. Capitol Police Officer Eugene Goodman up the stairs leading to the Senate, believed that he was at the White House, which is the center of the executive branch.

U.S. District Judge Timothy J. Kelly said that Jensen’s conduct was serious, but that the threat Jensen posed to the community could be mitigated through strict conditions of release. Under federal law, pretrial detention is supposed to be a last resort and implemented only when there are no other conditions that would ensure public safety.

Judge Kelly cited Jensen’s lack of a grade-school level understanding of the U.S. government in his decision to release Jensen. Jensen, in Jan. 6 videos that were released to the media on Monday night, repeatedly stated that he believed he was at the White House.

“This is me, touching the f--king White House,” Jensen said, with his hand on an exterior wall of the U.S. Capitol.

“Storm the White House!” Jensen screamed in another video as he panned up to the Capitol dome. “That’s what we do!”

Judge Kelly said that Jensen couldn’t have preplanned or coordinated his actions on Jan. 6 because Jensen “had no basic understanding of where he even was.”

I can see how only house arrest would be warranted here, but I'm not sure I agree that being ignorant of a situation or surroundings means that someone is less dangerous. With that said this guy is probably the type who won't do anything without a crowd around.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2021, 08:41:44 AM »

Burglary of federal buildings is so obvious that it can serve as a default charge.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2021, 03:48:24 PM »

Pretty lenient. 18 years would be a more suited sentence.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2021, 04:12:43 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2021, 05:16:52 PM by Frodo »

Perhaps, but he now (potentially) has a criminal record, and is on 'the system'.  If anything goes down where he lives, his will be the first door police will knock.  That applies to everyone else who has been charged and sentenced.  
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2021, 04:17:43 PM »

Perhaps, but he now has a criminal record, and is on 'the system'.  If anything goes down where he lives, his will be the first door police will knock.  That applies to everyone else who has been charged and sentenced. 

True. Someone noted the worst thing for many of them is they will lose the right to own firearms for life. Considering how gun-obsessed many of these types are this might be the worst sentence of all.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2021, 07:50:15 PM »

To Trump’s hard-core supporters, his rallies weren’t politics. They were life.
Kiczenski was inspired by a vista of Trumpian strength and patriotism: the Washington Monument in the distance, the majestic Capitol in the foreground, and freedom-loving patriots fighting like hell to stop a stolen and fraudulent election, liberate their country and save their president. She snapped pictures and recorded videos.

“It just looked so neat,” she said. “We weren’t there to steal things. We weren’t there to do damage. We were just there to overthrow the government.”
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2021, 07:58:37 PM »

Kiczenski was inspired by a vista of Trumpian strength and patriotism: the Washington Monument in the distance, the majestic Capitol in the foreground, and freedom-loving patriots fighting like hell to stop a stolen and fraudulent election, liberate their country and save their president. She snapped pictures and recorded videos.

“It just looked so neat,” she said. “We weren’t there to steal things. We weren’t there to do damage. We were just there to overthrow the government.”

"...wants to overthrow the government by force, we American's call that treason."

When the Nicholas and Alexandra quotes fit so well, you know you are in trouble.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2021, 08:02:32 PM »

...Judge Kelly cited Jensen’s lack of a grade-school level understanding of the U.S. government in his decision to release Jensen. Jensen, in Jan. 6 videos that were released to the media on Monday night, repeatedly stated that he believed he was at the White House.

“This is me, touching the f--king White House,” Jensen said, with his hand on an exterior wall of the U.S. Capitol.

“Storm the White House!” Jensen screamed in another video as he panned up to the Capitol dome. “That’s what we do!”

Judge Kelly said that Jensen couldn’t have preplanned or coordinated his actions on Jan. 6 because Jensen “had no basic understanding of where he even was.”

I can't stop laughing about this.
Smiley
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2021, 09:17:54 PM »

Remember this every time Republicans say it wasn't an insurrection.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2021, 01:18:21 PM »

The headline says it all.

A Capitol rioter's bail was revoked after he left his probation officer 'frightening' voicemails about the size of his genitalia
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2021, 05:22:15 PM »

I don't know if the second "his" in the headline refers to the rioter or the probation officer, but either way it's hilarious.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2021, 05:55:54 PM »

He's just mimicking his idol. I wouldn't be surprised if he used an "alias" like "John Barron" to do it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2021, 07:08:22 PM »

The probation officer is a woman. And he harassed her mother as well (not sure how he got her number granted...but regardless.) And he has a prior criminal record for harassing one of his ex-girlfriends. Guy is a total nutjob.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2021, 09:59:26 PM »

A judge has released a rioter into house arrest, finding him too stupid to pose any major threat to society.

Doug Jensen, a QAnon conspiracy theorist who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6 in support of former President Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election, was ordered released on home incarceration by a federal judge on Tuesday. Jensen, who was among the first rioters to enter the seat of the legislative branch of the federal government and chased U.S. Capitol Police Officer Eugene Goodman up the stairs leading to the Senate, believed that he was at the White House, which is the center of the executive branch.

U.S. District Judge Timothy J. Kelly said that Jensen’s conduct was serious, but that the threat Jensen posed to the community could be mitigated through strict conditions of release. Under federal law, pretrial detention is supposed to be a last resort and implemented only when there are no other conditions that would ensure public safety.

Judge Kelly cited Jensen’s lack of a grade-school level understanding of the U.S. government in his decision to release Jensen. Jensen, in Jan. 6 videos that were released to the media on Monday night, repeatedly stated that he believed he was at the White House.

Trump isn't sending his best.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2021, 09:21:40 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2021, 11:10:55 AM »

As noted above, Scott MacFarlane (https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews) is live tweeting the sentencing hearing.  He's the best person to follow for Jan. 6 legal developments.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2021, 11:16:18 AM »

Unless they hurt someone or damaged property, probation sounds fine for the rest.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2021, 11:39:40 AM »

Hodgkins got 8 months in prison.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2021, 11:43:40 AM »

Too long.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2021, 11:47:55 AM »

8 years would be more appropriate.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2021, 12:09:15 PM »

Unless they hurt someone or damaged property, probation sounds fine for the rest.

Probation for trying to violently overthrow the government?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2021, 12:11:36 PM »

At least. It was only thanks to a few heroes and some good luck that the didn't end up with a bunch of dead Congressmen.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2021, 12:14:51 PM »

Didn't I say violent ones deserve jail time?  Yes, yes I did.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2021, 12:19:04 PM »

Didn't I say violent ones deserve jail time?  Yes, yes I did.

They were all violent. At best you could argue that this terrorist only intended to come in the Capitol to yell, scream, and threaten Congressmen into overturning the election while not being willing to throw any punches or pull any triggers himself, but considering how he knowingly and willingly went in there with people who were willing to go all the way, is that really a convincing argument? I think not. We all know what his intentions were.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2021, 01:34:13 PM »

Barging into the Capitol holding a length of rope?  Sounds like a harmless tourist just innocently enjoying the sights to me!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 149  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies