January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:27:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 149
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 135052 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2000 on: December 19, 2022, 03:11:50 PM »

Any criminal charges beyond Trump? Eastman, Giuliani, Clark?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2001 on: December 19, 2022, 03:14:48 PM »

I wonder how much longer Trump's fans will fund his legal bills before they are tapped out? This has been ongoing now for 2 years.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2002 on: December 19, 2022, 03:16:04 PM »

Would they hold a bench trial for Trump given I have zero idea if you can find an impartial jury for him

Isn't that decision up to Trump and his defense team, as he's entitled to a jury trial if he wants? If I'm Trump, I'm taking my chances with the jury since like you said, you'll never find an impartial jury. With 12 people, there's a very good chance you'll find at least one supporter.

It also is DC though and Trump lost DC by an 18:1 margin so that might not be the case.

1/12 is 8%, so it's pretty close to what he won in 2020. And he only needs 1 person.

Btw if you take the Biden's number in DC I calculated there is about a 37.5% chance every member on the jury would be a Biden supporter , on the other hand if you take the not Trump number there is about a 51.37% chance every member on the jury did not support Trump.

If you're arguing just for public acceptance of a conviction, it's a fair point. However, I don't think a vast majority of jury members just vote based on political preferences these days. I'd assume the jury takes their jobs very serious. It's even the same with conservative judges that ruled against Trump in certain cases. The politicization of the judical system is dangerous.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2003 on: December 19, 2022, 03:20:03 PM »

2 Questions I wonder with this:

1. Would they hold a bench trial for Trump given I have zero idea if you can find an impartial jury for him

2. If convicted he probably would be placed on some abandoned military base given that Trump knows too much national security secrets to be placed in any civilian prison as even the guards there dont have the clearance to hear that info

It's Trump's decision whether he wants a bench trial or not. All you have to do is find 12 people who say they can set their preconceived notions aside and judge the case solely based on the evidence. They'll find that. They always do.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2004 on: December 19, 2022, 03:20:34 PM »

Would they hold a bench trial for Trump given I have zero idea if you can find an impartial jury for him

Isn't that decision up to Trump and his defense team, as he's entitled to a jury trial if he wants? If I'm Trump, I'm taking my chances with the jury since like you said, you'll never find an impartial jury. With 12 people, there's a very good chance you'll find at least one supporter.

It also is DC though and Trump lost DC by an 18:1 margin so that might not be the case.

1/12 is 8%, so it's pretty close to what he won in 2020. And he only needs 1 person.

Btw if you take the Biden's number in DC I calculated there is about a 37.5% chance every member on the jury would be a Biden supporter , on the other hand if you take the not Trump number there is about a 51.37% chance every member on the jury did not support Trump.

Trump has been impeached  stand FOREVER MORE and that is a blemish for 24 for him and DeSantis whom wants to Pardon Trump that's why DeSantis isn't gonna win VA the key state to win the Prez he is losing to Biden

Reagan should of been impeached for Iran Contra voters think he did nothing wrong, Bush H and Ollie North paid for their sins for Iran Contra they Lost
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2005 on: December 19, 2022, 03:31:45 PM »

If you're arguing just for public acceptance of a conviction, it's a fair point. However, I don't think a vast majority of jury members just vote based on political preferences these days. I'd assume the jury takes their jobs very serious. It's even the same with conservative judges that ruled against Trump in certain cases. The politicization of the judical system is dangerous.

Btw I was just calculating whether or not Trump's team would prefer a bench trial here rather than a jury one and in legal docs about big cases, they talk about how one of the most critical thing is jury selection. They use all sorts of demographic data to try to predict which type of jury would be most favorable to the defense so with Trump, they probably would use political demographics here. For example with OJ the defense calculated the most favorable jury for him would be one comprised of African Americans and the prosecution calculated the least favorable jury for him would be one comprised of women and the jury ended up being mostly Black Women.

So btw the question for his defense team is what would they prefer , taking chances with jury given the probabilities I just calculated or a bench trial.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2006 on: December 19, 2022, 03:40:51 PM »

Trump has been impeached  stand FOREVER MORE and that is a blemish for 24 for him and DeSantis whom wants to Pardon Trump that's why DeSantis isn't gonna win VA the key state to win the Prez he is losing to Biden

Reagan should of been impeached for Iran Contra voters think he did nothing wrong, Bush H and Ollie North paid for their sins for Iran Contra they Lost

If Reagan should have been impeached for Iran Contra, so should have the vast majority of presidents since 1945 for their foreign policy actions. Iran Contra was bad but unlike Watergate and both of Trump's impeachments , Iran Contra was not done to advance Reagan's personal political interests and that is a huge difference
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #2007 on: December 19, 2022, 03:48:10 PM »

Wonder how long now until the hall starts moving with regard to convicting Trump (or not).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2008 on: December 19, 2022, 03:48:43 PM »

ECHELON just released a poll shows Biden plus 8 over DeSantis and DeSantis won by 20 if that happens it's a 2008 Nightmare scenario for Rs but that won't happen but a 52/48 Landslide can happen

These Insurrection hearings are damaging to Rs no matter if they are found guilty on a Crt of law
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2009 on: December 19, 2022, 03:49:03 PM »

For a DC case he has like a 30% chance of getting Trumper on the jury so weigh that against your chances with the judge.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2010 on: December 19, 2022, 03:51:29 PM »

For a DC case he has like a 30% chance of getting Trumper on the jury so weigh that against your chances with the judge.

If he even has to make this decision at all.

I’m not a legal person but we aren’t there yet right?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2011 on: December 19, 2022, 03:51:49 PM »

If Reagan should have been impeached for Iran Contra, so should have the vast majority of presidents since 1945 for their foreign policy actions. Iran Contra was bad but unlike Watergate and both of Trump's impeachments , Iran Contra was not done to advance Reagan's personal political interests and that is a huge difference

A difference? Yes, it wasn't done to enrich Reagan himself personally. However, it was clearly against the law. A main difficulty was far as I am concerned was to prove beyond a reasonable doubt how much Reagan was involved personally. He might not even have remembered due to early stages of Alzheimers. Watergate by contrast was a pretty clear case, though Nixon's sabotage of the Paris talks in 1968 was actually way worse than Watergate.

What's an impeachable offense is rather vague in the constitution. Pretty much what Gerald Ford once said: It's whatever the majority of the House decides.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2012 on: December 19, 2022, 03:57:42 PM »

Way more than that, he has a 48.63% chance to get it. 0.946^12=0.5137
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2013 on: December 19, 2022, 04:10:39 PM »

Technically this isn't correct because Washington D.C uses voir dire. In this case, unlike in most states in D.C, the judge asks questions to potential jurors based on a list submitted by both the prosecutor and the defense. Based on the answers, the judge can refuse to accept a juror.

So, you can go on from there in terms of the importance of any potential judge if this case goes ahead.

The significant thing from a mathematical perspective though, is that this means the jurors aren't entirely random, so probability formulas don't apply.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2014 on: December 19, 2022, 04:15:09 PM »

Technically this isn't correct because Washington D.C uses voir dire. In this case, unlike in most states in D.C, the judge asks questions to potential jurors based on a list submitted by both the prosecutor and the defense. Based on the answers, the judge can refuse to accept a juror.

So, you can go on from there in terms of the importance of any potential judge if this case goes ahead.

The significant thing from a mathematical perspective though, is that this means the jurors aren't entirely random, so probability formulas don't apply.

So this would increase the chance the defense asks for a bench trial right. Also btw a jury almost certainly would be sequestered here so one juror holding out would also have to be willing to spend weeks more in sequestration to force a hung jury.

Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2015 on: December 19, 2022, 04:20:17 PM »

So this would increase the chance the defense asks for a bench trial right. Also btw a jury almost certainly would be sequestered here so one juror holding out would also have to be willing to spend weeks more in sequestration to force a hung jury.

I think the defense would determine based on the judge appointed to the case.  While obviously a judge sympathetic to the prosecution wouldn't allow the question 'did you vote for Donald Trump?' there certainly are ways a smart prosecutor could ask an acceptable question that would more or less determine that.

On the mathematical point, there are people who know this much better than me here, but this is the basic concept:

Fom wiki:
Independence is a fundamental notion in probability theory, as in statistics and the theory of stochastic processes. Two events are independent, statistically independent, or stochastically independent[1] if, informally speaking, the occurrence of one does not affect the probability of occurrence of the other or, equivalently, does not affect the odds.

So, since the jurors aren't strictly randomly chosen, there is no independence.

There are probably people here who could roughly calculate the odds given a judge who favors the prosecution versus a judge who favors the defense.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2016 on: December 19, 2022, 04:47:32 PM »

Not everyone who votes Rep is a Trumper.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2017 on: December 19, 2022, 04:48:53 PM »

He doesn't have to make a decision until well after he's charged. There would be hearings about this.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #2018 on: December 19, 2022, 05:11:05 PM »

Re: the DC jury question, you also need to factor in non-voters. Turnout was only 67% in 2020.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2019 on: December 19, 2022, 05:12:34 PM »

Re: the DC jury question, you also need to factor in non-voters. Turnout was only 67% in 2020.

I’d say for a trial like this, all 12 jurors should be chosen from that 33%
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2020 on: December 19, 2022, 05:13:52 PM »

He doesn't have to make a decision until well after he's charged. There would be hearings about this.

And probably enough time for him to continue his campaign, possibly even become president again, in which case it’ll all be moot.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2021 on: December 19, 2022, 05:16:40 PM »

The executive summary today is 100 pages and the full report on Wednesday will be 2000 pages.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2022 on: December 19, 2022, 06:00:34 PM »

It would be unfair to Trump to put his freedom in the hands of the stupidest 1/3 of the country.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2023 on: December 19, 2022, 06:27:10 PM »

It would be unfair to Trump to put his freedom in the hands of the stupidest 1/3 of the country.

Since I believe that's all eligible voters and not just registered voters, the 1/3 includes a lot of people who aren't registered to vote, so they aren't eligible for jury duty either.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2024 on: December 19, 2022, 06:40:56 PM »

Since I believe that's all eligible voters and not just registered voters, the 1/3 includes a lot of people who aren't registered to vote, so they aren't eligible for jury duty either.

In Georgia, you don't have to be a registered voter to be summoned for jury duty.  The jury pool is taken from both registered voters and those who have Georgia driver's licenses (or equivalent state ID's).  I have no idea if DC does the same.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 149  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies