January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:20:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 136071 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2022, 10:00:12 PM »

I can't see jack in those videos.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2022, 05:07:23 PM »

By the way, MSNBC has been reporting on air today that the person referenced in the witness intimidation message to Hutchison is Mark Meadows. I guess that can be inferred since it's from an intermediary of him, but they're reporting it is, in fact, Meadows who is referenced.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2022, 07:37:57 PM »

Gore was also the one counting the votes and shot down all the challenges the Dem Reps launched.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2022, 04:11:02 PM »

They've just announced a hearing for next Tuesday. (j6 committee)
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2022, 10:30:46 AM »

Cipollone reaches deal to give transcribed interview to January 6 committee Friday

Trump White House Counsel Pat Cipollone has reached a deal with the January 6 committee to participate in a transcribed interview behind closed doors on Friday, multiple sources told CNN.

Cipollone will be appearing under subpoena. A source familiar with his thinking says Cipollone intended to comply with the subpoena issued on June 29 for a July 6 interview, and it was extended until July 8. The interview will be on video, two of the sources told CNN.

Cipollone, who many former administration officials credit with helping to prevent then-President Donald Trump from taking legally questionable actions in the months around the 2020 presidential election, has long been considered a key witness by the committee. He has resisted talking further with the committee after previously sitting for a closed-door interview on April 13.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/06/politics/pat-cipollone-deposition-january-6-committee-this-week/index.html
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2022, 12:00:27 PM »

I think basically he just doesn't want to talk about any conversations he had one on one with Trump.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2022, 04:26:43 PM »

It just wrapped. He testified for 8 hours.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2022, 04:38:20 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2022, 06:00:58 PM by emailking »

Zoe Lofgren confirmed he did not invoke the 5th Amendment. Would not talk about other privileges.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2022, 05:18:38 PM »

Trump considers waiving claim of executive privilege for Steve Bannon

Former President Donald Trump is considering sending a letter to Stephen K. Bannon saying that he is waiving his claim of executive privilege, potentially clearing the way for his former chief strategist to testify before the House select committee investigating the pro-Trump riot at the Capitol.

The letter would reiterate that Trump invoked executive privilege in September 2021, when Bannon was first subpoenaed by the House committee. But it would say that the former president is now willing to give up that claim — which has been disputed — if Bannon can reach an agreement on the terms of an appearance before the panel. The letter was described by three people familiar with it, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the matter’s sensitivity.

Some advisers were seeking to talk Trump out of signing the letter.

Bannon was charged with contempt of Congress in November 2021 for refusing to comply with the subpoena. A trial on those charges is scheduled to begin July 18, though Bannon has sought to delay the proceedings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/07/08/bannon-executive-privilege-trump-january-6/

Might mean he will testify because this is what he said he wanted to testify. Also could mean DOJ is putting pressure on Bannon.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2022, 07:45:14 PM »

There's got to be some reason for it though. It seems like Bannon wants to make a deal and he needs an excuse to testify.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2022, 11:18:53 AM »

Steve Bannon says he's willing to testify before January 6 committee after Trump waives claims of executive privilege

Steve Bannon -- who defied a congressional subpoena and is set to go to trial on criminal contempt charges -- told the House select committee investigating the January 6, 2021, insurrection on Saturday that he is now willing to testify, ideally at a public hearing, according to a letter obtained by CNN.

Bannon's reversal comes after he received a letter from former President Donald Trump waiving executive privilege, although both the House select committee and federal prosecutors contend that privilege claim never gave Bannon carte blanche to ignore a congressional subpoena in the first place.

"When you first received the Subpoena to testify and provide documents, I invoked Executive Privilege. However, I watched how unfairly you and others have been treated, having to spend vast amounts of money on legal fees, and all of the trauma you must be going through for the love of your Country, and out of respect for the Office of the President," Trump wrote in a Saturday letter to Bannon, which was also obtained by CNN.

"Therefore, if you reach an agreement on a time and place for your testimony, I will waive Executive Privilege for you, which allows you to go in and testify truthfully and fairly" Trump added, as he went on to decry the committee of "Thugs and Hacks."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/10/politics/steve-bannon-trump-january-6-executive-privilege/index.html
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2022, 03:27:29 PM »

He can't. But it was Bannon's excuse so maybe he testifies now.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2022, 09:06:39 PM »

No way he gets to testify publicly until he's submitted to a transcribed & taped interview.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2022, 02:20:20 PM »

Crap Thursday was a good night for me because I'm on a movie forum instead of watching movies.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2022, 02:22:13 PM »

Yeah Bannon has no defense. His best hope is a Trumper on the jury (like a 30% chance) or testify now and hope he gets a lighter sentence.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2022, 04:16:50 PM »

The delayed hearing is now scheduled for Thursday night of next week.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2022, 06:47:54 PM »

Someone on this forum was upset that he left the Capitol or didn't leave the Capitol or something like that. I don't know if that's what Mike Pence is Guilty of Treason's beef is though.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2022, 06:55:02 PM »

From the hearings, it sounded like they made that call on their own.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2022, 07:17:03 PM »

In this case, whisking Trump away to the White House caused chaos. If Trump was at the Capitol, no way people enter and trespass in the building.

So if Biden threatened to declare WW3 on Russia because of the conflict with Ukraine, would the Secret Service be justified in preventing him from taking action?

The guy today said they left the Capitol when Trump tweeted that they should leave (hours later) and said if he tweeted that earlier they would have left then. So that's on Trump then for not telling them to leave immediately after the breach.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2022, 07:19:55 PM »

The guy today said they left the Capitol when Trump tweeted that they should leave (hours later) and said if he tweeted that earlier they would have left then. So that's on Trump then for not telling them to leave immediately after the breach.
Leaving the Capitol is immaterial. Pence's treason had already taken place by that point.

That's just your supposition. It also doesn't make any sense because the VP is below the President in the chain of command so he cannot give an order than Trump cannot supersede
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2022, 07:23:47 PM »

That's just your supposition. It also doesn't make any sense because the VP is below the President in the chain of command so he cannot give an order than Trump cannot supersede
So let me ask you this...

If Trump demanded the Secret Service take him to the Capitol, because the march would get out of control otherwise, and they said they were following orders from Pence *not* to take him to the Capitol, would you agree Pence is guilty of treason?

Unless you include a war in this hypothetical than nobody in the whole country can be guilty of Treason.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2022, 07:25:50 PM »

Yeah he's been pretty hard set on this for at least a year now if not longer. I just forgot the details.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2022, 07:33:07 PM »

What does it matter since, if Pence did that, then the moment Trump orders them to take him to the Capitol, Pence's orders are cancelled.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2022, 07:42:08 PM »

It's emotionally engaging I guess. :shrug:
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2022, 07:54:27 PM »

Good news about DOJ. I get the Committee's point about separation of powers, but I think this is too important not to give DOJ everything ASAP.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies