Opinion of Trevor Noah as a comedian
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:33:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Trevor Noah as a comedian
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
Freedom comedian

Horrible comedian

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Opinion of Trevor Noah as a comedian  (Read 1049 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2021, 02:08:55 PM »

Personal FF because he comes from a background that few in his target audience remember or have first-hand knowledge of, but the show is so far removed from what Jon Stewart established that it's not even worth watching, which to be fair goes for late night in general at this point. HC.

Pretty much all his correspondents are funnier than he is. They should replace him as host with Roy Wood, Jr.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 02:28:11 PM »

Not a bad guy but when he came on 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, a British comedy show, he wasn't very memorable. Other Americans have had mixed results - David Hasselhoff was funny, Michelle Wolf was not.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 02:29:22 PM »

FF.

He also spoke some German a few years back, which was quite funny.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 02:32:57 PM »

His book was actually quite interesting and he's OK at running his show, but yeah he's not particularly funny
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 02:45:02 PM »

Massive FF, but not given the good material for his current gig, always eclipsed by Roy Wood or the chic whose name I can't remember right now.

He's better than everyone else on that circuit for a main runner [Fallon, McHale, Bee, Meyers...especially Meyers...,usw.]

Personal FF because he comes from a background that few in his target audience remember or have first-hand knowledge of, but the show is so far removed from what Jon Stewart established that it's not even worth watching, which to be fair goes for late night in general at this point. HC.

Pretty much all his correspondents are funnier than he is. They should replace him as host with Roy Wood, Jr.

Not really, the medium of late comedy is simply one that's aged like milk...because it was built on the premise of mocking news. It's exactly what Stewart wanted, and it's gone horribly correct.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 02:56:02 PM »

Not really, the medium of late comedy is simply one that's aged like milk...because it was built on the premise of mocking news. It's exactly what Stewart wanted, and it's gone horribly correct.

Perhaps. Sort of like how Stephen Colbert's mocking conservatives today wouldn't be funny, because the American "conservative" movement is already a joke in and of itself. (And I vaguely remember that old poll showing a high number if not a majority of Republicans thinking that Colbert's act was real.)

I'd still place Colbert in the higher-tier of modern late night though, even though he's well past his prime now also.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 03:48:32 PM »

Not a bad guy but when he came on 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, a British comedy show, he wasn't very memorable. Other Americans have had mixed results - David Hasselhoff was funny, Michelle Wolf was not.

For some reason David Hasselhoff seems to be way more popular in Europe than he is here, especially Germany.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 03:55:20 PM »

For some reason David Hasselhoff seems to be way more popular in Europe than he is here, especially Germany.
probably just can't appreciate that sort of campy sensibility i guess. too bad
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 04:13:13 PM »

He's fine and has been funny in some settings that I have seen him. However, I cannot separate him from being the guy who replaced Jon Stewart, and that the Daily Show is not at all like it once was.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 05:42:30 PM »

Never watched, don't like him
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 09:24:01 PM »

I think you'd have to take lessons in order to be as unfunny as him.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2021, 02:37:49 PM »

I like plenty of left leaning comedians but he is just not funny, haven't laughed at him even once. His jokes and punchlines always seem to be the laziest and most obvious thing.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2021, 08:39:18 PM »

They still use the Hoff in German advertising lol.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2021, 09:43:28 PM »

I love Stephen Colbert, he was a correspondent on The Daily Show in the John Stewart era. I still watch Colbert. I always loved in high school, watching the Daily Show and the Colbert Report back to back.
WindowPhil
United States
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2021, 06:54:15 AM »

He's fine and has been funny in some settings that I have seen him. However, I cannot separate him from being the guy who replaced Jon Stewart, and that the Daily Show is not at all like it once was.

In my mind, The Daily Show and Colbert Report are inextricably tied to the Bush era.

Television has declined as young people have turned to the internet, and these shows were known as the preeminent Young people millennial political things in 2003-2008. Nowadays the stereotypical Daily Show viewer in my mind is some 35 year old who was in college during the Iraq war. Not a current college aged individual (Those people are more likely to watch a weekly 20 minute John Oliver segment on Youtube).

It's not Trevor Noah's fault though, it's Comedy Central/Viacom's fault. The same people who ran MTV into the ground and failed to adapt to modern times.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2021, 12:56:23 PM »

Better than anyone else on late night now, but still not great.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2021, 06:46:18 PM »

I'm not that impressed. However, I had to read Noah's memoir for a Sociology class I took a few years back, and it was a very interesting read.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2021, 06:58:01 PM »

Still funnier than Samantha Bee.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2021, 11:54:20 PM »

his stand up is funny, which is how I read the question, so FF

His show is bad, but as others have said all of late night (save Cordon and Conan, because they don't spend 95% of their show making fun of politics) is bad right now.  Colbert has become unwatchable, even in small clip form.  The smugness is just too much.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2021, 12:22:41 AM »

his stand up is funny, which is how I read the question, so FF

His show is bad, but as others have said all of late night (save Cordon and Conan, because they don't spend 95% of their show making fun of politics) is bad right now.  Colbert has become unwatchable, even in small clip form.  The smugness is just too much.

Good takes, although The Daily Show, what Trevor Noah currently hosts, has always been a very political show. It's never been just another late night variety show like Carson, Letterman, Leno, etc. Fallon, in my view, has also done a good job of making his show (for the most part) apolitical, although admittedly not to the extent of Conan.

However, the variety late night shows on the networks have taken a turn for the worst. Kimmel is an insufferable human, and Colbert is funny, but he belongs on a political comedy show like he did back when he worked for Comedy Central. He wasn't made to fill Letterman's shoes.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2021, 10:16:23 PM »

The only late night show I really like now is... re-runs of Carson. And he wasn't even on air by the time I was alive.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2021, 04:07:55 PM »

The only late night show I really like now is... re-runs of Carson. And he wasn't even on air by the time I was alive.

Dick Cavett was waaay better.

An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2021, 08:51:19 PM »

FF.

He also spoke some German a few years back, which was quite funny.

Afrikaans and German aren’t too far off in my experience (which consists solely of watching two classmates carry on a conversation, with one speaking Afrikaans and the other speaking German; they both understood each other for the most part).
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2021, 09:03:01 PM »

I don’t know if he or any late-night TV show host even meets the bare minimum qualifications for being classified as a “comedian”. That would be insulting to actual comedians.

Atleast Jon Stewart and 2000’s Stephen Colbert (who is nowadays also a propagandist pretending to be a comedian) actually somewhat resembled ‘comedians’ in a meaningful manner.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2021, 11:39:05 AM »

I don’t know if he or any late-night TV show host even meets the bare minimum qualifications for being classified as a “comedian”. That would be insulting to actual comedians.

Atleast Jon Stewart and 2000’s Stephen Colbert (who is nowadays also a propagandist pretending to be a comedian) actually somewhat resembled ‘comedians’ in a meaningful manner.

Late-night comedians, I have noticed, do tend to lean overwhelmingly to the left. Colbert, Kimmel, Oliver, and Noah have all been harshly critical of Trump and Republicans in general. Fallon is undoubtedly a Democrat, but he seems to be more apolitical than the other four.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies