Mitch McConnell says if GOP win back control he won’t let Biden replace Breyer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 08:30:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mitch McConnell says if GOP win back control he won’t let Biden replace Breyer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Mitch McConnell says if GOP win back control he won’t let Biden replace Breyer  (Read 3001 times)
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2021, 06:17:32 AM »
« edited: June 18, 2021, 06:45:39 AM by R.P. McM »

Its just the same old McConnell rule, he is being consistent.  When the Senate majority is of the opposite party as the Presidency and its an election season, wait until after the election.  These are the rules.

There are no "rules" besides what you guys pull out of your wherevers. A Democratic Senate let Ronald Reagan replace Lewis Powell and let George H. W. Bush replace Thurgood Marshall.

They weren't nominated in election years so the McConnell rule did not apply.  Learn the rules.

LOL. Yeah, the "rule" is just that you do whatever is Constitutionally permissible. Which includes dividing D.C. into 20 states, and expanding the SC to 30 members. The gloves are off, I don't want to hear any conservative/Republican whining.

Who is doing the whining in this thread?  Lol.  Not the conservatives.  And quit LARPing.  Gloves are off?  What are *you* gonna do about it.

Well, I did serve in the Army. I wasn't a Trump-loving traitor. But yeah, in terms of what the North owes the braindead modern Confederacy, I think it's essentially nothing. So, to reiterate, I don't want to hear any whining. It's just too much to expect the rest of us not to want excise this authoritarian cancer on the respectable body politic. And yeah, you might have to choose between instituting a semi-retarded, racist white Christian theocracy, versus accepting the will of the public. But that's not my problem. Whatever happens to y'all — global warming, racist theocracy — at this point, I honestly don't care. You made your bed, now lie in it. No more bailouts.

I mean, if I'm being perfectly honest, people like you have made it so we hate each other. And now, you need to suffer the consequences.

Wow, this is the ramblings of a crazy man.  Reported to the FBI.

Well, I was a little drunk last night. But I assure you, this is far more coherent than 99% of what emanates from the contemporary right. I didn't elect a traitorous racist sexual predator to the presidency, after all. So report yourself (and Paul Gosar, while you're at it). But yeah, the hatred is real, and in the case of the GOP, it's well earned. I'm very concerned about the prospect of our two sides peacefully coexisting, to be perfectly frank. It would've been great if y'all would've accepted that Democrats had a mandate to govern post-2008, just like we did in the 1980's. But that would've required a modicum of maturity and introspection, so instead you decided to tear the country apart. And now here we are.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2021, 10:31:13 AM »
« Edited: June 18, 2021, 10:49:11 AM by R.P. McM »

Its just the same old McConnell rule, he is being consistent.  When the Senate majority is of the opposite party as the Presidency and its an election season, wait until after the election.  These are the rules.

There are no "rules" besides what you guys pull out of your wherevers. A Democratic Senate let Ronald Reagan replace Lewis Powell and let George H. W. Bush replace Thurgood Marshall.

They weren't nominated in election years so the McConnell rule did not apply.  Learn the rules.

LOL. Yeah, the "rule" is just that you do whatever is Constitutionally permissible. Which includes dividing D.C. into 20 states, and expanding the SC to 30 members. The gloves are off, I don't want to hear any conservative/Republican whining.

Who is doing the whining in this thread?  Lol.  Not the conservatives.  And quit LARPing.  Gloves are off?  What are *you* gonna do about it.

Well, I did serve in the Army. I wasn't a Trump-loving traitor. But yeah, in terms of what the North owes the braindead modern Confederacy, I think it's essentially nothing. So, to reiterate, I don't want to hear any whining. It's just too much to expect the rest of us not to want excise this authoritarian cancer on the respectable body politic. And yeah, you might have to choose between instituting a semi-retarded, racist white Christian theocracy, versus accepting the will of the public. But that's not my problem. Whatever happens to y'all — global warming, racist theocracy — at this point, I honestly don't care. You made your bed, now lie in it. No more bailouts.

I mean, if I'm being perfectly honest, people like you have made it so we hate each other. And now, you need to suffer the consequences.

Wow, this is the ramblings of a crazy man.  Reported to the FBI.

Who's LARPing now?

"Yeah — FBI — I elected a traitorous racist sexual predator president. My peers supported his violent insurrection. But I want to report this pseudonymous internet poster for vaguely implying that my fellow racist traitors might have a difficult time in the coming years."

LOL. Yeah, I'm just describing to you what's possible in a scenario in which the majority hates the authoritarian minority (justifiably). Thanks to McConnellism, which rejects traditions, norms, and mutual respect in favor of maximizing partisan advantage. In which case, again, I don't really care if we have to lose KY, AL, OK, WV, etc. Not a tremendous tragedy in my estimation.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2021, 11:00:53 AM »

D's will keep the Senate 52/48 winning WI and PA
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2021, 05:13:37 AM »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2021, 05:55:37 AM »

You should actually read the first article. It argues for court packing instead.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2021, 06:14:11 AM »

McConnell is both transparent and consistent, and therefore accountable, because the voters know what they'll get, if GOP wins Senate. It's the core of the democracy.

Compare to Joe Biden who refused to give his opinion about Court Packing (he's against) before the Election in order to trick Crazy Woke Libs to vote for him anyway. Sad! Smart, but un-democratic!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2021, 07:27:21 AM »

You should actually read the first article. It argues for court packing instead.

Which is even worse. The suggestion that it was politically prudent for Ginsburg to retire was common sense. Public opinion didn't have much relevance, but that didn't stop the tut-tutting about how rude and sexist it was to acknowledge the obvious. Now the same mouthpiece cries out for the entire institution to be undermined rather than admitting to the consequences of Ginsburg's intransigence.

Ginsburg needing to time her vacancy for a Democratic President was already a problem with the Court though. That shows that everyone knows the Court is political, if it wasn't then surely any President could appoint a fair and impartial judge? And then it's a slippery slope to say-why not use all legal means to shift a political institution your way? I'm not saying that Court packing would make things any better in the long term, but there must be some way even theoretically to fix an already bad situation.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2021, 07:41:16 AM »

Breyer isn't sick, Ginsberg had cancer, let's take McConnell words with a grain of salt he is only using this to get Conservatives motivated to vote, based on SCOTUS, Crt vacancies always get Conservatives motivated
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2021, 09:22:41 AM »

Let's just hope that we don't get another article eight years from now like these two about Justice Sotomayor.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2021, 09:26:07 AM »

Let's just hope that we don't get another article eight years from now like these two about Justice Sotomayor.

Well, there could be a GOP prez in 8 years, either after Biden reelection or reelection to a 2nd term in 2028. If Harris is prez, the GOP will likely control the senate and not allow her an appointment, even during the 1st year of her term.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2021, 08:23:43 PM »

With the failure of the January 6 commission and voting rights to pass in the Senate, if Breyer doesn't retire before January 2023, when Democrats could very well lose the Senate again, this will be the biggest waste of a Democratic trifecta ever.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2021, 11:07:46 PM »

With the failure of the January 6 commission and voting rights to pass in the Senate, if Breyer doesn't retire before January 2023, when Democrats could very well lose the Senate again, this will be the biggest waste of a Democratic trifecta ever.

I've said before that it would be a nightmare scenario for Democrats if Breyer went the way of Ginsburg and DeSantis or whoever the next Republican President is chooses his replacement.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2021, 12:25:57 AM »

Lol Breyer hasn't been hospitalized or sick, Ginsberg had cancer since 2014 and she was waiting on Hillary to be Prez, Breyer is only 82, he knows full well if he was dying or not and he isn't, users need to stop predicting someone is gonna die, Breyer is not dying
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies