What's the difference between millenial and Gen Z politics?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:12:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What's the difference between millenial and Gen Z politics?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What's the difference between millenial and Gen Z politics?  (Read 1428 times)
mpbond
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2021, 02:26:26 PM »

A few pre-pandemic (and pre-Floyd) movements also come to mind. There was Greta Thunberg's climate marches, as well as the March for Our Lives movement in the wake of Parkland. Both of those had enormous Gen Z driven turnout. I think the March for Our Lives in DC still holds the title of largest protest on the Mall to this day. Both of those, the climate marches especially, were interrupted by the Pandemic, so it will be interesting to see how and if they pick back up once COVID isn't the biggest concern anymore.
Also, while MeToo and Women's March were much more millennial and Gen X driven, there has been tons of Gen Z involvement in that as well
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2021, 02:41:14 PM »

I'm a little puzzled at the "Zoomers care about politics while millennials don't takes". I'm old enough to remember the same takes being written with millennials as the enthusiasts and Gen X as the apathetic ones.
Same. Remember when Millennials were all out protesting the Iraq War and mobilizing opposition to Bush on social media?

I don't think those claims are contradictory, since you can make a case that *at the same age* Zoomers are more political than Millennials who in turn were more political than Gen Xers. This is reflected in voter turnout data when elections between 1976 and 2000 were lower than those that came before or after. Moreover, compared to previous or subsequent decades the 1980s and 1990s were known for relative quiescence in campus activism. Obviously these are all relative numbers-there were plenty of Xers involved in political activism (oftentimes conservative but things like anti-globalization movements too) and most Millennials and Zoomers are not particularly political.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2021, 07:40:05 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2021, 01:58:07 PM by Lone Star Politics »

I'm a little puzzled at the "Zoomers care about politics while millennials don't takes". I'm old enough to remember the same takes being written with millennials as the enthusiasts and Gen X as the apathetic ones.

Same. Remember when Millennials were all out protesting the Iraq War and mobilizing opposition to Bush on social media?

Exactly. This thread is Gen Z patting itself on the back for sharing a political meme on Discord. Once again, as a Gen Z ("zoomer" started as a 4chan thing, it's dumb, I'm not saying it), there are a whole lot of strong political opinions but nothing of substance from those beliefs. Millennials did the legwork and are still doing the legwork.
Gen Z political "activism" to me seems to be mostly settling up a Twitter account with an anime avatar and "they/them~BLM~ACAB" in your bio and then posting about being angry that white pop singers are wearing clothing that is associated with a non-white ethnicity or something along those lines.

Meanwhile Millennials include AOC and made up a lot of the activist core for both of Bernie Sanders' campaigns for example.

Also worth noting AOC and Bernie are also idolized by a lot of gen z. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen my classmates from high school who have either just graduated or graduated last year sharing an AOC post on their instagram stories.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2021, 11:12:43 PM »

This is anecdotal, but to add an observation I’ve noticed- Gen Z politics seems to be far more divided on gender than previous generations.

This isn’t to say that there aren’t any conservative Gen Z women, or that all Gen Z males are conservatives. There obviously are a lot of exceptions.

But it is significantly, significantly, more common to see suburban Gen Z females support left wing activist related paraphernalia than it is to see Gen Z males of any races support it.
WindowPhil
United States
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2021, 10:37:10 PM »

This is anecdotal, but to add an observation I’ve noticed- Gen Z politics seems to be far more divided on gender than previous generations.

This isn’t to say that there aren’t any conservative Gen Z women, or that all Gen Z males are conservatives. There obviously are a lot of exceptions.

But it is significantly, significantly, more common to see suburban Gen Z females support left wing activist related paraphernalia than it is to see Gen Z males of any races support it.

Suburbs are mostly white, and it's a way for them to go "I'm a woman, that makes me a minority and therefore a person of color" and absolve them of any white guilt.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2021, 03:55:16 AM »

This is the correct take on Gen Z.
WindowPhil
United States
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2021, 06:58:03 AM »

Do you think that the average Gen Z woman is less religious than the average Gen Z man?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2021, 08:16:01 AM »

Same politics, less of a childhood attachment to “rules” like holding the door.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2021, 09:19:42 AM »

Do you think that the average Gen Z woman is less religious than the average Gen Z man?
No, I would even say it’s possible it’s the opposite. However, Gen Z women do seem more liberal.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2021, 10:57:31 AM »

The data says there are virtually no differences in religious identification among teens.

This is interesting because usually women are more religious.

I agree with this take.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies