Why did Sanders do well with Arab/Muslim voters in the 2016 and 2020 Dem primaries?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:15:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why did Sanders do well with Arab/Muslim voters in the 2016 and 2020 Dem primaries?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Sanders do well with Arab/Muslim voters in the 2016 and 2020 Dem primaries?  (Read 676 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2021, 09:00:32 PM »

?
E-Dawg
Guy
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 09:36:16 PM »

Maybe because unlike Clinton and Biden he voted against the Iraq War?
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 11:48:33 PM »

Don't conflate the two I assume you mean Arab Muslim voters. Sanders did well with Arab Christian voters(presumably) but not so well with black and probably South Asian Muslim( though I'm not 100% sure) voters
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 04:41:18 PM »

Don't conflate the two I assume you mean Arab Muslim voters. Sanders did well with Arab Christian voters(presumably) but not so well with black and probably South Asian Muslim( though I'm not 100% sure) voters

He did well with black Muslim voters such as Somalis in Minneapolis. Less certain about South Asian Muslims.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 04:47:57 PM »

He did well with black Muslim voters such as Somalis in Minneapolis. Less certain about South Asian Muslims.
theres alot of african american converts to islam(this was mostly from the 60s and 70s) and they make up a much larger number than somalis or african immigrants
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 04:51:20 PM »

theres alot of african american converts to islam(this was mostly from the 60s and 70s) and they make up a much larger number than somalis or african immigrants

Are you talking about the Nation of Islam cultists?
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 05:06:51 PM »

some of them are but not all of them are part of the nation of islam
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 06:58:58 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2021, 07:05:25 PM by UNBEATABLE TITAN WAYNE MESSAM »

A few decades ago it was true that most African-Americans who claimed the Muslim faith followed the "Nation of Islam". Estimates have suggested that at its peak in the '60s and '70s, the NoI held sway over some 250K African-Americans (about 1.5% of the Black population).

After that point, though, membership in the NoI dropped heavily as major figures in the NoI such as Muhammad Ali and Malcolm X reverted to mainstream Sunni Islam and as the last leader of the original NoI, Wallace Muhammad, increasingly aligned the NoI away from many of its more heretical teachings. He disbanded the original organization in 1986.

Most people in the original NoI eventually either have become Sunni Muslims or have returned to Christianity. There was a splinter group led by Louis Farrakhan which today has become the dominant replacement for the NoI, but it never quite caught on as much as the original. Farrakhan's NoI was estimated to have 50,000 members as of 2007, much smaller than the total number of Black Muslims in the U.S., at approximately 700,000.

I suspect (based on anecdotal evidence, no hard data to back this up, unfortunately) that Black Muslims mainly supported Clinton and Biden, but at slightly lower levels than Black Christians.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies