S.21-2.10: Southern Open Shop Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:38:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.21-2.10: Southern Open Shop Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.21-2.10: Southern Open Shop Act (Failed)  (Read 232 times)
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2021, 04:09:39 AM »
« edited: July 13, 2021, 12:19:25 PM by reagente »

The Southern Open Shop Act

Section I. Title
i. This bill may be known as the “Southern Open Shot Act.”

Section II. Substance
i. The LABORER Act (S.19.4-2) is repealed, effective immediately.

sponsor: reagente

I think it was a grave mistake for the 16th session to pass this legislation. Right to work laws should be left to sub-regional governments, rather than applied one-size-fits-all to the whole Southern Region to account for differences in labor markets across the Southern Region.

Minimum 48 hours debate
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 04:21:50 AM »

The realities that make the LABORER Act good law are present everywhere in the Southern Region.
The South has done just fine with the LABORER Act being in effect, there is no good reason to suddenly change course now.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 02:30:30 PM »

The realities that make the LABORER Act good law are present everywhere in the Southern Region.
The South has done just fine with the LABORER Act being in effect, there is no good reason to suddenly change course now.
Surely just saying the name LABORER Act and the South isn't convincing enough when your party has gotten its ass handed in two elections in a row. Wink
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 04:56:39 PM »

Surely just saying the name LABORER Act and the South isn't convincing enough when your party has gotten its ass handed in two elections in a row. Wink
You made me laugh. Good pun.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 12:13:52 PM »

I apologize, but currently, after looking through different sides of the original discussion on the LABORER Act I'm not in favor of a repeal. Like TimTurner, I also fail to recognize the regional differences where this would be helpful (except perhaps in incredibly rich neighborhoods). Most jobs in any state or county of the South (barring perhaps WV) don't even unionize themselves currently, so the LABORER Act doesn't even affect most people. And if you don't want to join a job that is unionized, then don't join it from the start.

I gotta say though devolution does look somewhat tempting (assuming the LABORER Act is in effect by default and each state or county government would have to remove those laws consciously), but once considering how easy it'll be for lobbyists for large corporations to enact Right to Work laws, I'm not so sure I'd go through with it.

I would be open to allaying some of the concerns opponents of the LABORER Act have by doing the following:

* Increasing restrictions on unionization by making sure unionization in a currently non-unionized group is not possible without the support of 2/3, or even 75% of the workers that would be affected (maybe even higher?).

* Increasing restrictions on labor unions by making sure that unions dues are not used to donate to political candidates or just even political causes of any type (individual union members are able to do this themselves, I don't see why everyone should be forced to when they might not support the cause individually). This doesn't mean that unions shouldn't be allowed to endorse (after a vote or something) but the dues that unions receive from members shouldn't be going to things that individual union members might not want (once again people can donate individually).

* Setting harsh laws prosecuting corruption in labor unions and among labor union leaders especially.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 03:34:25 PM »

I gotta say though devolution does look somewhat tempting (assuming the LABORER Act is in effect by default and each state or county government would have to remove those laws consciously), but once considering how easy it'll be for lobbyists for large corporations to enact Right to Work laws, I'm not so sure I'd go through with it.

In regards to this point, what if we require local governments to conduct a referendum to exempt themselves from the LABORER Act?
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 03:38:02 PM »

In regards to this point, what if we require local governments to conduct a referendum to exempt themselves from the LABORER Act?

I would be more open to this (not requiring referendums but allowing localities to do it themselves if they want)
I'd be campaigning on the "No Exemption" side, but who are we to stop the people there if they don't want it?
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 03:41:18 PM »

Proposing this amendment:

The Southern Open Shop Act

Section I. Title
i. This bill may be known as the “Southern Open Shot Act.”

Section II. Substance
i. The LABORER Act (S.19.4-2) is repealed, effective immediately.
i. Sub-regional governments in the South can exempt themselves from the LABORER Act (S.19.4-2) by popular referendum
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 05:12:49 AM »

Amendment adopted.

Motioning for a final vote
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 10:45:06 PM »

I don't favor this bill and I don't plan to vote in favor, but I also see no point in objecting to a final vote. So no objection.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 05:47:50 PM »

Final vote. 48 hours.

Nay
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 12:54:23 AM »

Aye
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2021, 02:16:29 PM »

Aye!
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2021, 03:17:50 PM »

I'm afraid this vote doesn't count because it lies outside the 48 hour deadline. I apologize for not acting sooner.

1 Aye, 1 Nay. This bill fails.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies