S.21-2.7: Fairness in Academic Admissions Act (Signature not provided) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:57:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.21-2.7: Fairness in Academic Admissions Act (Signature not provided) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.21-2.7: Fairness in Academic Admissions Act (Signature not provided)  (Read 296 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 13, 2021, 05:04:21 PM »

The hiring bill that went along these lines was mostly pure good sense. But this bill is a different kettle of fish, and I am quite uncomfortable with it.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 10:43:50 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2021, 10:51:00 PM by Southern Deputy Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

How would this impact historically black colleges? In any case I do not feel ready to support a final vote on this bill yet.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 11:57:56 PM »

How would this impact historically black colleges? In any case I do not feel ready to support a final vote on this bill yet.

Are there many non-African American students even applying to HBCs? I don't imagine it would have that big of an impact.
Control over admissions sounds very much like something key for HBCs regardless of how many non-AA students apply to them in practice.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 08:19:18 AM »
« Edited: July 07, 2021, 08:30:33 AM by Southern Deputy Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

Are there many non-African American students even applying to HBCs? I don't imagine it would have that big of an impact.
Control over admissions sounds very much like something key for HBCs regardless of how many non-AA students apply to them in practice.

Would inclusion of a carve out for HBCs be enough to secure your support for the bill?
It would move me from a certain No vote to merely a very undecided voter who might go aye, nay, or even present.
This bill inspires a set of very mixed feelings. I like its elegance and simplicity but I'm not sure it goes too far or not. Taking steps like banning legacy admission and all - radical step, one I'm not sure how to feel about it overall. At the same time, we aren't Lincoln and so there are no Ivy League institutions within our borders, so it's not...as...radical in impact.
An HBC carveout would help massively in at least assuring me that it wouldn't hurt HBCs as unintended collateral damage. I respect the egalitarian spirit of the bill to be clear, I just wonder if this specific bill is really the best vessel for that being incorporated into the law.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 09:13:13 PM »

Present
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies