S.21-2.7: Fairness in Academic Admissions Act (Signature not provided)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:16:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.21-2.7: Fairness in Academic Admissions Act (Signature not provided)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.21-2.7: Fairness in Academic Admissions Act (Signature not provided)  (Read 270 times)
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2021, 03:55:00 AM »
« edited: August 02, 2021, 01:02:11 AM by reagente »

Fairness in Academic Admissions Act

Section I. Title
i. This bill may be known as the “Fairness in Academic Admissions Act.”

Section II. Substance
i. This act applies to any University, College, Graduate School, or other post-secondary institution (hereafter “post-secondary institutions”) that accepts money from the Southern Regional Government or any local government in the South
ii. Post-Secondary Institutions that accept money from the Southern Regional Government or any local government in the South may not use race, ethnicity, religion, income, sex, gender, political ideology, or “legacy status” as a factor in admissions.

Section III. Enforcement
i. Post-Secondary Institutions found to violate this act by the Southern Attorney General shall be required to forfeit all government funds received in years where the institution violated this statute and shall additionally be fined the larger of $1,000,000 or 1% of the institution’s endowment.
ii. Residents of the Southern Region shall retain a private right of action against post-secondary institutions that violate this statute

Sponsor: reagente

I think it violates the spirit of the 14th amendment for academic admissions to consider demographic factors rather than academic merit. I do think educational institutions in the South should be allowed to discriminate in admissions - but not if they receive any taxpayer money from the Southern region. This bill prohibits that.

Minimum 48 hours to debate
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 02:39:33 PM »

Technically the 14th amendment doesn't directly apply to Atlasia and our constitution. Tongue

I do support this legislation.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 03:43:52 PM »

This is an incredibly dangerous bill and it is alarming that this has entered mainstream discourse. These policies were put in place to help historically disadvantaged groups get a fair shot in life. If this passes, the routes to social mobility for these groups will be reduced substantially and they will never be able to compete with groups who have not been disadvantaged and thus have far more advantages than they do. Anyone who votes for this should be ashamed of themselves.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 04:09:54 PM »

I am undecided
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 05:04:21 PM »

The hiring bill that went along these lines was mostly pure good sense. But this bill is a different kettle of fish, and I am quite uncomfortable with it.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 05:15:10 AM »

Are there certain categories that other delegates want removed? Otherwise I intend to advance this to a final vote
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 10:43:50 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2021, 10:51:00 PM by Southern Deputy Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

How would this impact historically black colleges? In any case I do not feel ready to support a final vote on this bill yet.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 11:23:20 PM »

How would this impact historically black colleges? In any case I do not feel ready to support a final vote on this bill yet.

Are there many non-African American students even applying to HBCs? I don't imagine it would have that big of an impact.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 11:57:56 PM »

Are there many non-African American students even applying to HBCs? I don't imagine it would have that big of an impact.
Control over admissions sounds very much like something key for HBCs regardless of how many non-AA students apply to them in practice.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 05:19:39 AM »

Control over admissions sounds very much like something key for HBCs regardless of how many non-AA students apply to them in practice.

Would inclusion of a carve out for HBCs be enough to secure your support for the bill?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 08:19:18 AM »
« Edited: July 07, 2021, 08:30:33 AM by Southern Deputy Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

Would inclusion of a carve out for HBCs be enough to secure your support for the bill?
It would move me from a certain No vote to merely a very undecided voter who might go aye, nay, or even present.
This bill inspires a set of very mixed feelings. I like its elegance and simplicity but I'm not sure it goes too far or not. Taking steps like banning legacy admission and all - radical step, one I'm not sure how to feel about it overall. At the same time, we aren't Lincoln and so there are no Ivy League institutions within our borders, so it's not...as...radical in impact.
An HBC carveout would help massively in at least assuring me that it wouldn't hurt HBCs as unintended collateral damage. I respect the egalitarian spirit of the bill to be clear, I just wonder if this specific bill is really the best vessel for that being incorporated into the law.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 01:16:45 PM »

Proposed amendment with carving out the black colleges

Fairness in Academic Admissions Act

Section I. Title
i. This bill may be known as the “Fairness in Academic Admissions Act.”

Section II. Substance
i. This act applies to any University, College, Graduate School, or other post-secondary institution (hereafter “post-secondary institutions”) (with the exception of historically black institutions) that accepts money from the Southern Regional Government or any local government in the South
ii. Post-Secondary Institutions that accept money from the Southern Regional Government or any local government in the South may not use race, ethnicity, religion, income, sex, gender, political ideology, or “legacy status” as a factor in admissions.

Section III. Enforcement
i. Post-Secondary Institutions found to violate this act by the Southern Attorney General shall be required to forfeit all government funds received in years where the institution violated this statute and shall additionally be fined the larger of $1,000,000 or 1% of the institution’s endowment.
ii. Residents of the Southern Region shall retain a private right of action against post-secondary institutions that violate this statute

Let's move quickly and motion for the final vote
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 01:21:41 PM »

Amendment adopted, and final vote has begun. 48 hours.

---

Aye.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 09:13:13 PM »

Present
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2021, 11:14:28 PM »

With one vote affirmative, and one present, this bill passes?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies