The first non-christian US president will be...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:22:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The first non-christian US president will be...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which one will be the affiliation of the first non-christian US president?
Strong atheist

Agnostic atheist

Deist

Spiritual but not religious

Jew

Muslim

Hindu

Confucian

Buddhist

Member of a traditional African religion

Neopagan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: The first non-christian US president will be...  (Read 2062 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 12, 2021, 08:49:14 PM »

I am not asking about the first non-christian US president in the History, since Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln could have been non-christians.
But the first non-christian US president from now will be a...
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 09:18:49 PM »

Agnostic, spiritual but not religious, and/or Jewish are most likely. Bernie Sanders is a pretty good example. I'd say of the more unconventional choices Buddhist is more likely than a Muslim simply because the former is less of a politicized religion in the US.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 09:58:46 AM »

Pretty clearly a secular/reform Jewish person. That demographic currently heads 3/4 major cabinet positions, the chief of staff, 2 Supreme Court justices, the senate majority leader, and 3/5 most recent presidents had their children marry Jews. Jewish people have become a huge part of the elite and eventually one will be elected president. People would be more okay with a Jew than a Muslim or an open atheist I think.
Catalyst138
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 11:16:36 AM »

Either Jewish person or an atheist (but the “I respect all religions” kind of atheist, not the “screw your fake sky man” kind).
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 01:03:56 PM »

History points to either Jewish (counting both practicing and those with Jewish heritage: Goldwater, Shapp, Agran, Lieberman, Clark, Kerry, Sanders), or inoffensively irreligious. I'm surprised Deism is on the list, because it's a more-or-less dead Enlightenment philosophy. As much as I personally like the idea of being critical of man-made religious texts and approaching spiritual belief with reason and observation of the natural world, for most practitioners, it was the nice way to say atheist back in the day when that would get you stoned to death. Some of the early presidents thought to be Deist might not be spiritual-but-not-religious today, but actually straightforward atheists. During the Great Awakenings, a lot of atheists who would have been "Deist" in the late 1700s probably claimed to be Christian, and would today still claim some kind of spiritualism. There's probably been more than a few closeted atheist presidents.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 01:16:44 PM »

History points to either Jewish (counting both practicing and those with Jewish heritage: Goldwater, Shapp, Agran, Lieberman, Clark, Kerry, Sanders), or inoffensively irreligious. I'm surprised Deism is on the list, because it's a more-or-less dead Enlightenment philosophy. As much as I personally like the idea of being critical of man-made religious texts and approaching spiritual belief with reason and observation of the natural world, for most practitioners, it was the nice way to say atheist back in the day when that would get you stoned to death. Some of the early presidents thought to be Deist might not be spiritual-but-not-religious today, but actually straightforward atheists. During the Great Awakenings, a lot of atheists who would have been "Deist" in the late 1700s probably claimed to be Christian, and would today still claim some kind of spiritualism. There's probably been more than a few closeted atheist presidents.

I consider myself a Deist despite it being considered a largely archaic philosophy. I think we're due for a Deism revival!
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 07:59:58 PM »

Maybe, the order of probability is

1. Agnostic atheist
2. Jew
3. Spiritual but not religious
4. Strong atheist
5. other

Spiritual but not religious has a great probability because there will be a millennial president soon. The oldest millennials are already 40.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 05:26:42 AM »

Agonistic atheist seems likeliest because that is the largest group percentage-wise. It also appears to be a growing group.

The bench of potential Jewish candidates (Ivanka Trump, Steve Mcnuchin, Tony Blinken, Penny Prtizker, J.B. Pritzker, Jared Polis, Eric Garcetti, 7 state attorney generals, Jon Ossoff, etc.) currently seems to be stronger.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 06:44:59 AM »

Jewish seems most likely, because ....

Agonistic atheist seems likeliest because that is the largest group percentage-wise. It also appears to be a growing group.

The bench of potential Jewish candidates (Ivanka Trump, Steve Mcnuchin, Tony Blinken, Penny Prtizker, J.B. Pritzker, Jared Polis, Eric Garcetti, 7 state attorney generals, Jon Ossoff, etc.) currently seems to be stronger.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 03:19:30 PM »

John F. Kennedy.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2021, 05:14:58 PM »

If Deism and Christianity are distinct, we have already had a non-Christian president.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 05:44:31 AM »

Jewish seems most likely, because ....

The situation may be different in twenty years, or forty years.

We're still more likely than not to have a string of Christians for a few generations (especially since there may only be six Presidents in the next 40 years.)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 08:35:42 PM »

Jewish because the Jews have so much political talent and are heavily represented in the legal profession.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2021, 05:50:44 AM »

Jewish. Antisemitism is a big problem but not insurmountable. Reluctance to vote for a non-Christian is also a problem, but it applies to all the other groups as well.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 02:06:49 PM »

An atheist Wiccan Islamacist.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2021, 11:04:19 AM »

Either Jewish person or an atheist (but the “I respect all religions” kind of atheist, not the “screw your fake sky man” kind).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies