In hindsight, This was the best ad of 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:04:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  In hindsight, This was the best ad of 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In hindsight, This was the best ad of 2020  (Read 883 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 12, 2021, 07:34:27 PM »

Roundly mocked at the time, it is catchy and perfectly appealed to Cuban voters.  I still listen to the full song on my Spotify.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 07:42:21 PM »

The full song is quite good as well.
perpetual_cynic
erwint.2021
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 12:47:04 AM »

Roundly mocked at the time, it is catchy and perfectly appealed to Cuban voters.  I still listen to the full song on my Spotify.

It really did hit home hard and appealed especially to Mexican immigrants also (the flag). It appeals to Hispanic-Americans sense of pride in America and Hispanic cultures and traditions. Clearly, it paid off.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 08:51:53 PM »

Man people are really getting ridiculous, acting like the losing candidate doing a couple points better with one demographic (mostly just within a couple specific regional subsets of that demographic) was the biggest success story of the election, even though he was still blown out among that demographic to the point it alone decisively cost him the election.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 08:53:59 PM »

Man people are really getting ridiculous, acting like the losing candidate doing a couple points better with one demographic (mostly just within a couple specific regional subsets of that demographic) was the biggest success story of the election, even though he was still blown out among that demographic to the point it alone decisively cost him the election.
Where any singular Biden ads this good, though?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 08:58:08 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2021, 09:06:19 PM by Alben Barkley »

I don’t know if it was the best, but I liked the one with Sam Elliott:

Anyway, beyond the ads, I’m just getting a little sick of the excessive focus on Trump’s gains with Hispanics. It’s blown WAY out of proportion. The Hispanic vote delivered Biden the three closest states — Georgia, Arizona, and Wisconsin. He couldn’t have won without it. That he underperformed with specific Hispanics in specific parts of Texas and Florida for specific reasons is really not as huge a deal as people have been making it out to be since the election. Hell, Trump did way worse with Hispanics than George W. Bush. It’s not like he’s the first Republican ever to make any in-roads whatsoever with any of them, but you wouldn’t know it from the way people talk about it. Congrats on not doing even worse with them than your pathetic previous performance but still losing? Typical Trump, setting the bar so low that people act like wiping his own ass is some impressive feat.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 09:00:38 PM »

Anyway, beyond the ads, I’m just getting a little sick of the excessive focus on Trump’s gains with Hispanics. It’s blown WAY out of proportion. The Hispanic vote delivered Biden the three closest states — Georgia, Arizona, and Wisconsin. He couldn’t have won without it. That he underperformed with specific Hispanics in specific parts of Texas and Florida for specific reasons is really not as huge a deal as people have been making it out to be since the election.
This is true, and your arguments are quite convincing.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 09:03:11 PM »

The best ad of 2020 was Bruce Springsteen's for Biden (&, yes, I am biased in offering that as my opinion a fact):

perpetual_cynic
erwint.2021
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 11:01:43 PM »

Anyway, beyond the ads, I’m just getting a little sick of the excessive focus on Trump’s gains with Hispanics. It’s blown WAY out of proportion. The Hispanic vote delivered Biden the three closest states — Georgia, Arizona, and Wisconsin. He couldn’t have won without it. That he underperformed with specific Hispanics in specific parts of Texas and Florida for specific reasons is really not as huge a deal as people have been making it out to be since the election.
This is true, and your arguments are quite convincing.

That ad brought one extremely ironic thing to my mind. The ad said there are no "Democratic rivers or Republican mountains." How ironic that it wasn't switched considering there is actually a Republican River in Kansas.
Motorcity

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 10:26:24 PM »

Anyway, beyond the ads, I’m just getting a little sick of the excessive focus on Trump’s gains with Hispanics. It’s blown WAY out of proportion. The Hispanic vote delivered Biden the three closest states — Georgia, Arizona, and Wisconsin. He couldn’t have won without it. That he underperformed with specific Hispanics in specific parts of Texas and Florida for specific reasons is really not as huge a deal as people have been making it out to be since the election. Hell, Trump did way worse with Hispanics than George W. Bush. It’s not like he’s the first Republican ever to make any in-roads whatsoever with any of them, but you wouldn’t know it from the way people talk about it. Congrats on not doing even worse with them than your pathetic previous performance but still losing? Typical Trump, setting the bar so low that people act like wiping his own ass is some impressive feat.
Agree

Its important to remember, Trump did not "convert" anyone. There weren't Hillary-Trump voters in mass, if any

Among hispanics who voted for the first time, there were a higher than expected Trump support
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 07:49:46 PM »

whatEVER.  Who says the winning candidate has the best ad?  In 2016 Hillary’s ad “role models” was the best, and she lost.  I never said the general public was smart.

https://youtu.be/mrX3Ql31URA
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 10:31:32 PM »

whatEVER.  Who says the winning candidate has the best ad?  In 2016 Hillary’s ad “role models” was the best, and she lost.  I never said the general public was smart.

I think your definition of "good ads" might be causing the disconnect in this thread.  Both of the "best ads" you've pointed to sucked and were not even targeted to the demographic needed to secure the election in either case.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 10:34:39 PM »

I think your definition of "good ads" might be causing the disconnect in this thread.  Both of the "best ads" you've pointed to sucked and were not even targeted to the demographic needed to secure the election in either case.

Its a subjective thing.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 10:39:56 PM »

Its a subjective thing.

The quality of the ads is a subjective thing, yes.  But in terms of who they targeted they definitely weren't key to the election.  The Trump hispanic ad, even if it was amazing wasn't going to shift the outcome in the key states of Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.  The Clinton ad targeted to suburban women was a bit closer to hitting the key demographic but was too focused on a metro mom demographic, again missing a lot of the key MI/PA/WI voters.  Which, I guess at the time Hillary didn't even view as important.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2021, 08:51:29 AM »

It's interesting how similar this is to the famous, super light/upbeat "Everybody likes Ike" ad that basically started TV political advertising in the 1950's.  It's basically a Spanish language version of the same thing.   
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies