Biden's infrastructure plan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 01:17:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden's infrastructure plan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Biden's infrastructure plan  (Read 1402 times)
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 12, 2021, 11:09:36 AM »

How would Biden's infrastructure plan be adopted by the Senate ?
- Go it alone via reconcilliation
- Bipartisan plan

Discuss.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 11:33:44 AM »

Manchin already said noore reconciliation, he said that due to fact D's want to pass 300 cheques again for Unemployment which he is against.  The bipartisan plan is the plan without raising taxes
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 11:48:13 AM »

A bipartisan plan I think is the best bet.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 11:53:13 AM »

Reconciliation or bust

Hopefully, the Senate Democratic Caucus kills whatever nonsense Manchin, Shaheen, and Sinema are pushing. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 11:59:08 AM »

Reconciliation or bust

Hopefully, the Senate Democratic Caucus kills whatever nonsense Manchin, Shaheen, and Sinema are pushing.  

Manchin and Sinema and SHAHEEN were all part of the GOP plan, D's are gonna have to wait til 2023 if the have a 218H and 52 Senators to nuke the Filibuster and pass tax increases and DC Statehood with Tom Nelson and Fetterman, Hassan, WARNOCK and Kelky and CCM.

Bullet trains and Electric cars aren't gonna be built til after 2024 Election anyways, it takes a long time to build them
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 12:03:05 PM »

Any bipartisan plan that does not include user fees and electric vehicle infrastructure should be immediately rejected.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 12:06:21 PM »

Bipartisan = watered down

Go with reconciliation. We have a majority - USE IT!
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 12:44:37 PM »

They should have already done it by reconciliation

As it stands, it looks like they are going to pass a plan negotiated with Republicans by reconciliation anyway.
That bipartisanship sure is productive.

Also, does Sinema’s little group remind anyone else of Simpson-Bowles? You get the 4 most corporate friendly, US Chamber loving Dems negotiating with big standard Republicans and what the vast majority of Dems caucus wants is ignored?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 01:56:09 PM »

Yeah, let’s spend several months gutting all the useful parts out of the bill, so that Susan Collins can still vote against it.

This is why nothing meaningful ever happens even when the Dems have full control of 2/3 branches of government.  Trying to work with Republicans in good faith is a masochistic waste of valuable time.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 01:58:04 PM »

Any bipartisan plan that does not include user fees and electric vehicle infrastructure should be immediately rejected.

...hell no. Do not raise the gas tax to pay for infrastructure. Why screw over the poor even more?

You are the worst type of "democrat". Virtue signal with terms like "birthing people" and "we need a conversation" but then screw over the poor
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 01:58:28 PM »

I thought the best strategy was to split it up: Put traditional infrastructure into a bipartisan package while passing other benefits and green energy projects through reconciliation.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 01:59:09 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2021, 02:02:42 PM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

As it stands, it looks like they are going to pass a plan negotiated with Republicans by reconciliation anyway.

Also, does Sinema’s little group remind anyone else of Simpson-Bowles? You get the 4 most corporate friendly, US Chamber loving Dems negotiating with big standard Republicans and what the vast majority of Dems caucus wants is ignored?

Manchin and Sinema aren't going thru Reconciliation again because they say that they don't want to lead D's to believe they are gonna vote for 300 Unemployment

We're not getting anymore Stimulus checks because the people on Unemployment got 300 too long

The D's need Sinema and Manchin to pass Reconciliation and Tester isn't onboard either with 300, we aren't even gonna get 500

Unemployment was made by Pelosi a UBI payment and it's a 9/12 month program not 2-5 yr program

Also, D's were raising money off Act blue like Ossoff and WARNOCK to pass 2K cheqyes

They might loose the H, that's why they are begging Manchin to pass HR 4, since they can't fundraise off stimulus check
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 02:25:47 PM »

I thought the best strategy was to split it up: Put traditional infrastructure into a bipartisan package while passing other benefits and green energy projects through reconciliation.
The problem is then Manchinema and probably Warner too will decide everything is fixed and refuse to use reconciliation.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2021, 02:38:21 PM »

Manchin and Sinema aren't going thru Reconciliation again because they say that they don't want to lead D's to believe they are gonna vote for 300 Unemployment

We're not getting anymore Stimulus checks because the people on Unemployment got 300 too long

The D's need Sinema and Manchin to pass Reconciliation and Tester isn't onboard either with 300, we aren't even gonna get 500

Unemployment was made by Pelosi a UBI payment and it's a 9/12 month program not 2-5 yr program

Also, D's were raising money off Act blue like Ossoff and WARNOCK to pass 2K cheqyes

They might loose the H, that's why they are begging Manchin to pass HR 4, since they can't fundraise off stimulus check

1. This has nothing to do with the $300 unemployment. That’s going away in September and no one is advocating for it to stick around.

2. It’s LOSE.

3. I thought there was no way Dems lose to the House? Change of tune already?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2021, 03:44:01 PM »

1. This has nothing to do with the $300 unemployment. That’s going away in September and no one is advocating for it to stick around.

2. It’s LOSE.

3. I thought there was no way Dems lose to the House? Change of tune already?

It does have everything to do with Unemployment, theDeficit, Congress will use the 300 fro. Stimulus to pay for infrastructure, sorry you are wrong

Deficit spending has gone from 27T to 30 T since Biden got in office due to 2 T stimulus and he wants another 2T infrastructure and it's cut to 900 B
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2021, 04:55:56 PM »

This post makes no sense OC.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2021, 05:02:03 PM »

Manchin isn't going to Reconciliation for infrastructure or 300 Unemployment okay, so stop worrying about Infrastructure it has nothing to do with me anyways speed rail cars or bullet trains, I want another 1400 cheque, who cares about infrastructure

Manchin is negotiating with Rs on not raising taxes he isn't voting for D's rainf Corporate taxes
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2021, 06:00:45 PM »

...hell no. Do not raise the gas tax to pay for infrastructure. Why screw over the poor even more?

You are the worst type of "democrat". Virtue signal with terms like "birthing people" and "we need a conversation" but then screw over the poor

Gas tax hikes are among the most effective way to dissuade people from buying more gas vehicles and funding electric infrastructure means we can get mass conversion to electric. This is one of our best chances to fight climate change, since I don't see a carbon tax or cap-and-trade happening anytime soon, sadly.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2021, 07:58:57 PM »

Gas tax hikes are among the most effective way to dissuade people from buying more gas vehicles and funding electric infrastructure means we can get mass conversion to electric. This is one of our best chances to fight climate change, since I don't see a carbon tax or cap-and-trade happening anytime soon, sadly.

Working class people often don’t have the option to buy an electrical vehicle. I don’t think you realize this because you’re a rich kid from the suburbs.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2021, 08:02:44 PM »

Something that would be a significant net negative for the pocketbooks of key Midwestern and Rust Belt swing voters is probably a net loser for Democrats.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2021, 09:12:23 PM »

Working class people often don’t have the option to buy an electrical vehicle. I don’t think you realize this because you’re a rich kid from the suburbs.

I'd hope that electric vehicle infrastructure includes subsidies for low income people to buy electric vehicles, we can do this all day honestly, I'm not convinced you're interested in fighting climate change.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2021, 09:58:39 PM »

I'd hope that electric vehicle infrastructure includes subsidies for low income people to buy electric vehicles, we can do this all day honestly, I'm not convinced you're interested in fighting climate change.

Think about what you're saying here. First off, you have to figure out who is "low-income" and how you would distribute this subsidy. Secondly, you have to make sure the subsidy is being used to buy electric vehicles. Thirdly, low-income people would still have to use some of their own money to buy this electric vehicle when they could just be using their gas-powered car. Making sure people meet both of these conditions is impractical and creates a lot of extra bureaucracy which in turn will hamper economic growth (which, according to Biden's budget plan, is already projected to be fairly anemic in 2023 and 2024 at lower than 2% growth).

I'm not interested in fighting climate change if this is the solution you come up with. Figure out something better
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2021, 10:02:23 PM »

Think about what you're saying here. First off, you have to figure out who is "low-income" and how you would distribute this subsidy. Secondly, you have to make sure the subsidy is being used to buy electric vehicles. Thirdly, low-income people would still have to use some of their own money to buy this electric vehicle when they could just be using their gas-powered car. Making sure people meet both of these conditions is impractical and creates a lot of extra bureaucracy which in turn will hamper economic growth (which, according to Biden's budget plan, is already projected to be fairly anemic in 2023 and 2024 at lower than 2% growth).

I'm not interested in fighting climate change if this is the solution you come up with. Figure out something better

I'm more than happy to pass a carbon tax or cap-and-trade if you can find 60 votes for it to happen, I'm waiting.... If user fees is the only hope we have to fight climate change, so be it. A very small sacrifice in the grand scheme of things.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2021, 11:54:14 PM »

Idea: taxing corporate emissions and then putting all the proceeds in a special fund created for the purpose of giving the money out to each and every American, regardless of race, ethnicity, wealth level, or residence in urban or rural area. Not one cent would go to anything else (except administering this program).
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2021, 11:56:39 PM »

Idea: taxing corporate emmissions and then putting all the proceeds in a special fund created for the purpose of giving the money out to each and every American, regardless of race, ethnicity, wealth level, or residence in urban or rural area.

Would be a great idea, but Biden has been reluctant to propose a carbon tax.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies