How does LGBT familial disownment/disapproval compare across high income democracies?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:35:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How does LGBT familial disownment/disapproval compare across high income democracies?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How does LGBT familial disownment/disapproval compare across high income democracies?  (Read 197 times)
WindowPhil
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 12, 2021, 05:51:41 AM »

As an America, I have an unfounded suspicion that the United States is unique among most high income democracies in that it's perhaps the one of the only one where a substantial proportion of parents would disapprove of or disown a child who came out as Gay or Trans.

Perhaps it's not accurate and I'm just thinking in black and white (I don't even know if a majority of American parents would do it), but I want to know what the deal is in regards to this thought I had.

How high is the "Familial Disownment Rate" for Gay/Lesbian (and question 2: for Trans individuals) in these following places?

*A standard "Liberal Country" like Canada, ones in Western Europe, Australia, etc.

*The Non-South United States?

*The American South?

*Eastern Europe (Poland, Russia, Ukraine, etc)? I know Russia isn't considered a Democracy, but many Eastern European Countries are.

*Japan and South Korea

I know the United States has the Religion Thing going for it, but is it really an outler when it comes to LGBT familial disownment (even outside the south) compared to other High Income Democracies?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 07:17:00 AM »

US is probably higher than most of W Europe, but still lower than much of E Europe/E Asia?
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 07:39:26 AM »

Just eyeballing various world values survey data and the odd bit of polling on various LGBT themes, the USA seems to always be about 10-15% less accepting than all of Western Europe (barring the consistent Italian exception), a little bit more accepting than Latin America and much more accepting than everywhere else. So familial acceptance is probably in a similar situation.

So overall it’s probably one of the less tolerant wealthy democracies, but not by a huge margin
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies