forum republicans...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:07:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  forum republicans...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: forum republicans...  (Read 4504 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 12, 2006, 04:57:49 PM »

im going to change my voter registration to independent if chafee loses.  itll be the last straw for me.

how many of you will do what i plan on doing if (god forbid) chafee loses the primary tonight?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 05:04:43 PM »

I live in the Dictatorship of Pennsylvania, so when I register in January, it will be as a Republican out of necessity.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 05:10:37 PM »

I would register as an Independent but I like staying in the GOP for three reasons...

1. I get to vote in primaries.
2. It's a bit of fun being the maverick.
3. I like to piss off hacks like DWTL.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 05:13:36 PM »

I live in the Dictatorship of Pennsylvania, so when I register in January, it will be as a Republican out of necessity.

Yay!

You'll be a registered Republican!!! Tongue

Rin-chan
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 05:26:22 PM »

Not me, I wouldn't do crazy things if one thing I didn't like happened.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 05:38:17 PM »

I believe I'm going to, because, well, I already am one.

And it IS fun to be the maverick, but dammit Berger, I'd be living a LIE! <swoon>

...and Jedi, it's hardly one thing.  Get your story straight.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 06:18:53 PM »

I like staying in the GOP for three reasons...

Bada Bing
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 07:13:34 PM »

I would register as an Independent but I like staying in the GOP for three reasons...

Ditto
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 09:23:27 PM »

looks like this wont be necessary.  chafee is coasting to victory!

the real rinos on this board are the ones NOT supporting chafee.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 10:30:26 PM »

looks like this wont be necessary.  chafee is coasting to victory!

the real rinos on this board are the ones NOT supporting chafee.

Under 55% is not coasting to victory.  Especially for an incumbent.  It is narrowly skating by.  And in Rhode Island, that is not good.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 10:36:43 PM »

You should be an indie Mitty, your opposite of Republicans in economics and social values, and opposite of Democrats over war and security issues.  Besides, not having a party means never having to be ashamed or angry of your own party.  Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 10:51:58 PM »

Everytime a race doesn't go their way, the left leaning members always threaten to bolt. Doesn't that get old after awhile, guys? Think about it: If you find yourself saying, "I'm leaving if candidate so and so wins/loses" a great deal of the time then you really should reconsider your membership. That is not meant to be mean; it just makes sense.

And please don't tell me that I am the RINO for not going nuts over Chafee. I'd vote for the man if I was forced to choose between the two in the General but I am not supporting him now. I don't care. Part of me will be laughing at Lincoln when he loses in November because right now he is laughing at conservatives. He doesn't deserve my full backing.

Also note that I am not threatening to leave my party after a primary loss like this, nor did I do so after the loss in TN in August, or PA in 2004, etc.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 10:57:38 PM »

I don't agree with a lot of what Chafee does but I'll support him because he can win where he is. I'll take a Republican who at least agrees with you somewhat that can get elected over someone who can't get elected but you agree with more.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 11:05:08 PM »

Not me, I wouldn't do crazy things if one thing I didn't like happened.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Stay in the party no matter what.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 11:09:23 PM »

Everytime a race doesn't go their way, the left leaning members always threaten to bolt. Doesn't that get old after awhile, guys? Think about it: If you find yourself saying, "I'm leaving if candidate so and so wins/loses" a great deal of the time then you really should reconsider your membership. That is not meant to be mean; it just makes sense.

And please don't tell me that I am the RINO for not going nuts over Chafee. I'd vote for the man if I was forced to choose between the two in the General but I am not supporting him now. I don't care. Part of me will be laughing at Lincoln when he loses in November because right now he is laughing at conservatives. He doesn't deserve my full backing.

Also note that I am not threatening to leave my party after a primary loss like this, nor did I do so after the loss in TN in August, or PA in 2004, etc.

You don't because you, like me, are a very loyal Republican.  That being said, for every moderate that threatens to bolt over the loss of someone like Chafee, there is at least one extreme conservative that threatens to bolt for a third-party or not participate in politics at all.  Its so tempting to encourage the latter Tongue

*turns away from Phil now*

Why don't we as moderate Republicans see the need not to bolt - but instead to use such events as a call to arms.  We need an uprising!   Our country is at stake and our ideas and beliefs are needed now more than ever before.  We are the antedote to poision politics, to keep it from infecting future generations.  If we are to suffer a defeat, let it be a blessing to us.  Let us turn defeat into a propellant for future victories.  I am angry that Steve Laffey even got close to beating Lincoln Chafee.  We must turn anger into passion and passion into action.  We may have won this battle, but we are losing the war.  Our progeny is counting on us to turn the tide.  If we are right, as we are, then why would we ever consider giving up.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 11:12:02 PM »

MSNBC Breaking News: U.S. Sen. Chafee defeats GOP challenger in R.I., local media report.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2006, 11:17:38 PM »

You don't because you, like me, are a very loyal Republican.  That being said, for every moderate that threatens to bolt over the loss of someone like Chafee, there is at least one extreme conservative that threatens to bolt for a third-party or not participate in politics at all.  Its so tempting to encourage the latter Tongue

It isn't even totally about being a loyal Republican; it is about being a mature adult. You can be angry with the party and/or the primary voters if someone you like doesn't win/someone you don't like wins but to base your membership on the results of a primary is so ridiculous.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, just like how angry you were that Pat Toomey ran against and almost beat "loyal Republican"....

....Arlen Specter
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 11:21:23 PM »

It isn't even totally about being a loyal Republican; it is about being a mature adult. You can be angry with the party and/or the primary voters if someone you like doesn't win/someone you don't like wins but to base your membership on the results of a primary is so ridiculous.

Yeah, just like how angry you were that Pat Toomey ran against and almost beat "loyal Republican"....

....Arlen Specter

Well yes, I was angry that Toomey got so close.  I'm not a fan of that yard sign, but at least Specter makes me proud with his votes in the Senate - as opposed to Toomey who would make me ashamed of his service.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 11:23:44 PM »

Well yes, I was angry that Toomey got so close.  I'm not a fan of that yard sign, but at least Specter makes me proud with his votes in the Senate - as opposed to Toomey who would make me ashamed of his service.

A conservative voting record is worthy of shame? Remind me of how you feel about your Senior Senator again.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 01:49:47 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2006, 01:53:08 AM by riceowl »

I'm done anyway.  Basing it entirely on this primary would have been silly.  I definitely want a Republican Senate, but a Dem House.  So....go, Chafee.  Go, Tester, Liebermann, Hutchison, Casey, Steele, Kennedy, Nelson, Kean, Clinton, Nelson II, etc.  Get us to a more moderate government.

PS- really, the 2 party system is terrible

PPS-please don't confuse me with SamSpade.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 02:16:12 AM »

....Arlen Specter

Obviously not a Republican here, but I will put my 2 cents in.  I think many who threaten to bolt the GOP are sick and tired of the GOP pandering to the far reaches of the right wing time and time again.  Basically turning away from the reasons that brought them into the Republican Party to embrace the far right.  angering them so much that it could just take one more thing to lose them for good.  And that is exactly what has happened to the GOP in this part of the country.  Where the GOP use to do fairly well and was dominate in the suburbs, with a large presence of Rockefeller Republicans.   That group still may exist to a point, but due to the direction the GOP has taken have either registered as Dem or Ind, or stayed with the GOP, but rarley votes that way anymore.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 05:48:06 AM »

Obviously not a Republican here, but I will put my 2 cents in.  I think many who threaten to bolt the GOP are sick and tired of the GOP pandering to the far reaches of the right wing time and time again.  Basically turning away from the reasons that brought them into the Republican Party to embrace the far right.  angering them so much that it could just take one more thing to lose them for good.  And that is exactly what has happened to the GOP in this part of the country.  Where the GOP use to do fairly well and was dominate in the suburbs, with a large presence of Rockefeller Republicans.   That group still may exist to a point, but due to the direction the GOP has taken have either registered as Dem or Ind, or stayed with the GOP, but rarley votes that way anymore.

I've written about this in some other thread.  I think what's happened with the Republicans in the northeast is actually the final stage of a political realignment that began with white blue collar voters abandoning the Democratic Party beginning in the 1960s.  It's part of a broader political trend.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 10:10:11 AM »

But do I threaten to leave when my party panders to liberals? I get upset and I understand that some others in the party might get upset with people like Laffey. However, if you feel the need to threaten to leave everytime a conservative challenges a liberal then you don't belong. Reach the decision yourself by thinking about what you believe. Some of these people may realize that they aren't really the best fit for the GOP after thinking about their ideology and values. If more people did that, it would save us all from the aggravation of "leaving the party" threats every time we Republicans choose our candidates.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2006, 11:16:50 AM »

Excellent news Smiley I'm changing my avatar for a day. I think the GOP would have done itself a great disservice to loose a man as principled as Chafee who 'can keep his head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you.'
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2006, 11:18:06 AM »

A conservative voting record is worthy of shame? Remind me of how you feel about your Senior Senator again.

...not as thrilled as I am about my Junior Senator, who technically has a more conservative voting record, but handles himself in a more moderate way.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies