senior congressman as an analogue to senior judges
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:21:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  senior congressman as an analogue to senior judges
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: senior congressman as an analogue to senior judges  (Read 137 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 05, 2021, 06:35:14 PM »

I feel like there needs to be a policy in congress where if you're a us congressman, once you turn 75 you automatically assume "senior status" on committees. Senior status would mean that while you aren't a member of any one committee and can't be speaker or committee chair - you have the right to sit in on any committee you want at any time. It also helps make room for younger members. So in the case of the house appropriations committee: Price,  Coleman, Ruppersberger Allard,and DeLauro would automatically assume senior status and would make room for someone else. My guess is that (since usually members from the same state are given preference) is that Ross would get Price's seat, Sherrill or Malinowski gets Coleman's seat, Panetta or Lieu gets Allard's seat, Hayes gets DeLauro's seat and Raskin gets Dutch's seat.

Does anyone think this is a fair rule? If this rule had always existed I'm not sure if Pelosi would have retired in 2014 or would have stayed on and simply been a "committee rider" (i.e. the judicial equivalent of a circuit rider).

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies