What is the least interesting or most "boring" time you can think of?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:29:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  What is the least interesting or most "boring" time you can think of?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the least interesting or most "boring" time you can think of?  (Read 1109 times)
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2021, 09:31:22 PM »

The time period where there isn't much relatively going on. Im going with recent history and say the late 1990s. What would you say?
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 10:23:13 PM »

Probably around 4.5 billion years ago when Earth and the solar system was congealing together over tens of millions of years from clouds of random space dust.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 12:07:45 AM »

That I remember*:

2004-2008. A relatively stable time with things in stasis. The most dramatic thing that happened was Hurricane Katrina and Bush becoming unpopular, but unless you lived in New Orleans your life wasn't affected.
1993-2001. Pretty much Bill Clinton's entire presidency. The 2nd longest period of calm since 1914.

That I infer:
1984-1988. The Cold War was gradually thawing but there weren't the tectonic shifts you saw before or after.
1974-1978. Another similar transition period between two big oil shocks.
1951-1963. Generally remembered as being a pretty idyllic time by older white Boomers. The longest period of calm since 1914.
1934-1938. A calm before the storm - the second false dawn of the post-WW1 era. The worst of the Depression was over but the clouds were still not imminent.
1924-1929. The spirit of Locarno - the first false dawn of the post-WW1 era.
1875-1914. Probably the last extended period of calm in human history. A "golden age" of untrammeled white supremacy, imperialism, and free market capitalism. Very little idea of the destructive power of modern warfare. The entire generation of mid-twentieth century leadership looked back on their formative years here. Things have been more tumultous since 1914.

* Disclaimer: Western-centric view.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 07:19:52 AM »

The time period where there isn't much relatively going on. Im going with recent history and say the late 1990s. What would you say?
WWII was surprisingly boring in much of Latin America.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 09:35:19 AM »

The Gilded Age was politically boring.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 01:19:56 PM »

The Gilded Age was far more turbulent and desperate than people here are giving it credit for, which is nothing unusual. It's probably the period that is most similar to the present day, with its entrenched partisanship, electoral shenanigans, racial violence, labor disputes, growing economic inequality, and the rise of populism and radical politics. As for the least interesting, I would say probably the decade or so after the collapse of the Soviet Union from an American perspective —maybe the late fourth/fifth century globally.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 12:29:03 PM »

The Gilded Age was far more turbulent and desperate than people here are giving it credit for, which is nothing unusual. It's probably the period that is most similar to the present day, with its entrenched partisanship, electoral shenanigans, racial violence, labor disputes, growing economic inequality, and the rise of populism and radical politics. As for the least interesting, I would say probably the decade or so after the collapse of the Soviet Union from an American perspective —maybe the late fourth/fifth century globally.
Yeah, I can see that. Not a lot of conquerors in that period. Justinian was still a century away. Tang China hadn’t yet risen.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 10:08:49 PM »

2004-2008. A relatively stable time with things in stasis. The most dramatic thing that happened was Hurricane Katrina and Bush becoming unpopular, but unless you lived in New Orleans your life wasn't affected.

Wow I totally disagree with this. We had two presidential elections, the first very close and the latter extremely historic, during that time. The Iraq War turned into a quagmire; Saddam Hussein was executed. The freaking iPhone was invented, as was Facebook. Those two things changed the world massively. There was a global recession, the worst since the Great Depression. This was a majorly important time in recent history for the US and the world.

I think the period between like 2011 and 2015 (when Trump launched his campaign) was more stable and boring. The 2012 election wasn’t all that close or unpredictable or exciting, though the Republican primaries were amusing. The Arab Spring happened but ultimately failed, essentially, so it didn’t really matter as much as initially expected. Bin Laden was killed, but that happened early in this time. Hell I’m even happy to put it as between that point and when Trump launched his campaign in June 2015; that was a relatively boring and stable four year period.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 10:53:21 AM »

There is no boring period in Human History.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 12:11:50 PM »

It's the 'boring' periods, or 'lost' periods of human history and experience that should excite us the most.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 05:40:30 PM »

Normally around 2 in the afternoon, when you have finished with lunch, aren’t really motivated to get back to work, but actually being able to pack up and finish for the day still seems unfathomably far off in the future
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 06:21:08 AM »

Wow I totally disagree with this. We had two presidential elections, the first very close and the latter extremely historic, during that time. The Iraq War turned into a quagmire; Saddam Hussein was executed. The freaking iPhone was invented, as was Facebook. Those two things changed the world massively. There was a global recession, the worst since the Great Depression. This was a majorly important time in recent history for the US and the world.

I think the period between like 2011 and 2015 (when Trump launched his campaign) was more stable and boring. The 2012 election wasn’t all that close or unpredictable or exciting, though the Republican primaries were amusing. The Arab Spring happened but ultimately failed, essentially, so it didn’t really matter as much as initially expected. Bin Laden was killed, but that happened early in this time. Hell I’m even happy to put it as between that point and when Trump launched his campaign in June 2015; that was a relatively boring and stable four year period.

2014 saw the rise of both ISIS as well as the Russian invasion of Crimea and conflict in eastern Ukraine.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 12:29:46 PM »

The present.
No intellectual aristocracy being left over, the masses parroting the XVIIIth's "Enlightenment", inable to reverse, the further future on tracks (unless a wonder will happen).
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2021, 03:21:55 PM »

Purely subjective, but I personally could just never get into ancient Rome or contemporaneous periods where the world as a whole wasn't interacting a lot. History gets a lot more interesting after 1492. Could just be me being hipstery but I honestly can't retain anything I learn about Rome beyond broad strokes. Don't @ me.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 11:00:50 AM »

2014 saw the rise of both ISIS as well as the Russian invasion of Crimea and conflict in eastern Ukraine.

True, but ISIS didn’t last very long as a major threat and the Crimea thing has been kind of stagnant ever since.

I don’t think there’s any four year time you can point to when nothing of real significance or note happened on the world stage. I’m just saying in recent years, especially from an American perspective, this was a relatively stable and uneventful time. Moreso than the second Bush term in my opinion.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 04:04:19 PM »

Pre-Cambrian Explosion Earth.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies