Florida enacts transgender ban in sports
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:13:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Florida enacts transgender ban in sports
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Florida enacts transgender ban in sports  (Read 907 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2021, 01:03:03 PM »

It's sort of hilarious to watch Republicans pretend to care about girls' sports after decades of trying to scale back Title IX.

Imagine unironically posting a South Park video as an argument

Both almost certainly would have a major advantage over natal women. There is no dilemma if you don’t allow either to compete with them.

So what, you want both trans men and trans women to compete in men's sports?
Title IX does not help women.

John Stossel is a propagandist.
Terlylane
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2021, 01:06:01 PM »

It's sort of hilarious to watch Republicans pretend to care about girls' sports after decades of trying to scale back Title IX.

Both almost certainly would have a major advantage over natal women. There is no dilemma if you don’t allow either to compete with them.

John Stossel is a propagandist.
He's not a propagandist. But if you're still not convinced, try these ones instead.

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2021, 02:24:58 PM »

What's next, banning tall people from playing basketball because it makes short people feel bad to not get picked first?

How about this: anyone who wants to play a sport can, and if the state isn't happy with using one's own gender identity as a dividing line, just make sports co-ed. It works for wrestling and ultimate frisbee just fine. Find a way to make it work for other sports. I'm sure there's precedent - weight or height classes seem like a good start.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2021, 02:36:10 PM »

What's next, banning tall people from playing basketball because it makes short people feel bad to not get picked first?

How about this: anyone who wants to play a sport can, and if the state isn't happy with using one's own gender identity as a dividing line, just make sports co-ed. It works for wrestling and ultimate frisbee just fine. Find a way to make it work for other sports. I'm sure there's precedent - weight or height classes seem like a good start.

This is possibly the worst solution. If we’re going to have height and weight classes for every sport, why not just divide by sex, which almost always matters more anyway?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2021, 02:49:43 PM »

That might work in some sports, but would be a disaster in a sport like basketball, where the difference is men and women goes way beyond height differences. Notice how even bad college basketball players can almost all dunk, but only a small handful of WNBA All-Stars can, and even those rarely and barely do. It's no exaggeration to say that the worst D1 scholarship player could be the WNBA MVP just by dunking and locking down the paint, even if he's not currently a Center.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2021, 03:24:33 PM »

The majority of men have a distinct physical advantage over females. Doesn't matter what gender they proclaim, they have natural physical advantages over the female gender.

If I was playing in sports, as an average female I would not want to be confronted with competing with males. The natural advantage just isn't fair.

I like the idea of mixing up the type of teams and leagues people play in. Let people choose where they want to play.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2021, 03:32:20 PM »

I actually agree that certain aspects of Title IX's impact on school athletics are not particularly helpful, but let's not forget that Title IX pertains to much more than just school athletics.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2021, 06:14:12 AM »

One of the few times I’ll say this about anything DeSantis does, but I agree with this completely.

I’m sorry but they have an unfair advantage.

Now... only the GOP cared this much about making a level playing field in elections.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2021, 06:28:44 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2021, 06:32:09 AM by dead0man »

I actually agree that certain aspects of Title IX's impact on school athletics are not particularly helpful, but let's not forget that Title IX pertains to much more than just school athletics.
indeed, sometimes it's about making sure minority men don't get to defend themselves from accusations.

What does it say about trans men? Are they going to force them to compete with women, let them compete with men, or ban them altogether?
a trans man is never going to be competitive against non-trans men at (most) organized competitive sport
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2021, 10:02:58 AM »

Terrible troll tears trans track Stars! Film at 11!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies