SENATE BILL: Reproductive Health Expansion Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:54:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Reproductive Health Expansion Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Reproductive Health Expansion Act (Passed)  (Read 1444 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2021, 02:36:42 AM »
« edited: June 26, 2021, 09:18:57 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Reproductive Health Expansion Act.

1.) Reproductive health procedures, including medical terminations shall hereby be included within 'Atlascare' health plans created through the 'Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act of 2017

2.) The availability of these procedures shall depend on the laws and restrictions imposed by said region.

2B.) Atlascare health plans shall include expenses to enable patients to travel to receive treatments laid out within their plans, if they are unable to access this care within their region.

Sponsor: Blair
Senate Designation: SB30:11?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 02:37:02 AM »

Sponsor advocacy 24 hours with 48 hours for other members to respond.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 03:43:31 PM »

As far as I'm aware from my reading of our healthcare program (Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act of 2017) there is not an explicitly broad mandate for reproductive health services to be included in our federal health insurance program- so this bill allows for our quasi public option healthcare plant provide it.

The only existing service was a bill that I helped steer through the House which allowed for abortions which were judged as medically necessary.

The bill also upholds our longstanding stance that abortion is largely a regional issue; as it doesn't seek to overrule or force the regions into providing it.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 04:10:03 PM »

As far as I'm aware from my reading of our healthcare program (Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act of 2017) there is not an explicitly broad mandate for reproductive health services to be included in our federal health insurance program- so this bill allows for our quasi public option healthcare plant provide it.

The only existing service was a bill that I helped steer through the House which allowed for abortions which were judged as medically necessary.

The bill also upholds our longstanding stance that abortion is largely a regional issue; as it doesn't seek to overrule or force the regions into providing it.

Seems fair and sensible to me. This will be a huge benefit for women suffering through tragic miscarriages.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 04:42:00 PM »

Any other thoughts on this from the other senators?
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 08:46:11 PM »

I'm definitely an opponent of this bill. We shouldn't be expanding access to procedures that will terminate anything.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 12:07:38 PM »

It was not my intention to delay a detailed response on such an important matter so long but I wanted to handle the response correctly and not just race through it and the last week or two has been choppy with trying to figure out a 3 to 5 year plan in terms of education/career IRL, my current job and other difficulties.

My preference has always been for the contraception access approach (which is in Atlascare) as a means to discourage and at some point eliminate the need for abortion, in conjunction with a combined effort of other actions including adoption, etc. While the complete elimination is rather idealistic obviously, my preference is for the current setup with contraceptives plus the emergency access Blair mentioned.

That being said I do applaud Blair's respect for the regions and ability to regulate this regionally.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 12:13:44 PM »

Whats the next action here? Final vote?
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 04:29:18 PM »

Motion to table.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 01:13:18 AM »

Objecting to the motion.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 04:58:32 PM »

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 12:01:59 AM »

Seconding. A vote is now open on the motion to table, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 12:03:27 AM »

Normally I wouldn't prefer tabling but this Senate needs some kind of jolt at this point to get the juices flowing leading into the transition to the new Senate. Perhaps a spirited discussion on abortion will help with that.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 12:08:00 AM »

Normally I wouldn't prefer tabling but this Senate needs some kind of jolt at this point to get the juices flowing leading into the transition to the new Senate. Perhaps a spirited discussion on abortion will help with that.

Simplifying this bill into an abortion debate is inappropriate. Many pregnancies that are intended to be carried out regrettably require medical terminations that are very disheartening for the involved family.

Nay.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 12:08:30 AM »

Nay
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2021, 12:15:45 AM »

Simplifying this bill into an abortion debate is inappropriate. Many pregnancies that are intended to be carried out regrettably require medical terminations that are very disheartening for the involved family.

This bill isn't just limited to emergency medical terminations though.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2021, 12:43:08 AM »

By voting to table, one could say you are, ahem, "throwing the baby out with the bath water".
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2021, 01:22:13 AM »

Abstain.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 02:05:28 AM »

By voting to table, one could say you are, ahem, "throwing the baby out with the bath water".

I haven't voted to table yet. Tongue

I expended like three PMs tonight to get one substantive post in another bill thread. It took me saying one word to get you to say two here. Wink
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2021, 02:18:08 AM »

Yet? Don't terminate protections for prospective mothers without considering what is best for all!

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2021, 02:31:22 AM »

Yet? Don't terminate protections for prospective mothers without considering what is best for all!

Come on convince me like you mean it! Tongue
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2021, 02:38:16 AM »
« Edited: June 16, 2021, 02:45:15 AM by SevenEleven »

Hey, if you think grieving would-be mothers should have to pay a hefty sum for miscarrying, I would love to convince you otherwise but it seems self-evident.

On a more personal note, my nephew was born in a situation that nearly killed his mother. I shudder to think what it would've felt like to get stuck with a huge bill had the worst outcome been necessary.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2021, 02:45:16 AM »

Hey, if you think grieving would-be mothers should have to pay a hefty sum for miscarrying, I would love to convince you otherwise but it seems self-evident.

I am 85% sure that someone who miscarries would fall under "emergency care", which is explicitly listed as covered in Atlas care going back to the original 2017 text.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2021, 02:50:07 AM »

I am 85% sure that someone who miscarries would fall under "emergency care", which is explicitly listed as covered in Atlas care going back to the original 2017 text.

I am 85% sure that basing public policy on "85%" situations is the wrong choice. Every Atlasian deserves to be treated with dignity.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2021, 08:24:56 AM »

Aye
Pages: [1] 2