Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:58:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup  (Read 10209 times)
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« on: June 11, 2021, 07:29:46 AM »

It is nice to have the inaugural match of this multinational edition of the European Cup being played in my country, precisely at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome, and even nicer to have Italy being one of the two teams in the match. I am quite excited for Italy - Turkey tonight!

Mancini's record at the helm of the Italian national team so far has been beyond spectacular. Let's see if we can keep on that track when the stakes become the highest. I certainly hope so.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 07:35:10 AM »

It is nice to have the inaugural match of this multinational edition of the European Cup being played in my country, precisely at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome, and even nicer to have Italy being one of the two teams in the match. I am quite excited for Italy - Turkey tonight!

Mancini's record at the helm of the Italian national team so far has been beyond spectacular. Let's see if we can keep on that track when the stakes become the highest. I certainly hope so.

I bet Turkey and Italy to draw LOL. Don't worry, I have far worse predictions for England. Smiley

Well, I have been told our most prominent football-watching English poster actually supports Germany by virtue of family ties. Lol
By the way, do you root for Scotland among European national teams?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 02:08:16 PM »

Andrea Bocelli singing Puccini's Nessun dorma for the inaugural ceremony of the European Cup was simply marvelous. Purple heart
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 06:28:22 PM »

The inaugural match of the Europeans ended with a 3-0 victory for Italy over Turkey! Very nice for me, probably less nice for Santander's bets.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 05:09:46 PM »

Italy won another match 3-0 tonight, against Switzerland, and automatically qualified to knock-out stage. Very pleasant!

The funniest thing is that Italy had never scored more than two goals in a single match of the final phase of the European Cup before, and now it has done twice consecutively. That's not unexpected from this current squad, however.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 05:02:17 PM »

France getting eliminated by Switzerland because Mbappé failed his penalty kick is definitely not something I would have expected. parochial boy must be feeling extremely giddy right now indeed lol.

All in all this has been a blessed day for scoring at the Euros - in addition to the 3-3 draw within official time between France and Switzerland, earlier Spain beat Croatia 5-3 at extra time. I wonder if the quarter final between the two winners of today will be equally sparkling.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 01:50:44 PM »

I am happy that Argentina beat Brazil and won the Copa America yesterday but more importantly I am very excited and anxious for the Euros final that is about to start. Viva l'Italia!
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 05:15:49 PM »

AND ITALY WINS THE EUROPEAN CUP 2020 2021!

VIVA L'ITALIA!

European champions for the second time, after 1968. I almost cannot believe it! Although to be honest a small part of me was convinced this was going to happen ever since I noticed that the inaugural match of this itinerant edition was given to Rome.

For a bit of trivia and coincidences: last time we won a major tournament (2006 World Cup) we also won the final at penalty shootouts after a 1-1 game; last time we reached a Euro final (2012) the tournament also included a match with England won at penalties - in that case quarter-finals.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 05:07:39 AM »

Analysis: Will England fans' reaction to losing cost Republicans the Senate in 2022?

To keep on with the political theme, a little bird told me elsewhere that Italy did a favour to British leftists by depriving BoJo of a rally effect. I replied to him "He will get one. In Scotland."  Wink
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 05:46:24 AM »

One interesting fact is that Emerson and Jorginho are now double European champions - with the club (Chelsea) and with the national team (Italy). Fairly remarkable for two players both born in South America.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 10:08:57 AM »

Italians in Brussels and all over who haven't set a foot in a football stadium before waxing lyrical about how England supporters are shameful and the "good guys won". Do they remember the countless times there have been stabbings or moped attacks or racist chanting in their stadiums? And how when Feyernoord rioted in Rome, "England style", because two of their supporters were stabbed and in an ICU, and broke a piece of some ancient statue the Italian press cried and started calling the Dutch "barbarians" and "sub-humans" in their press? Hardly ones to talk. I mean, there is a reason other European teams fear a trip to Italy more than to the UK

To be fair, I think you could excuse Italians in Brussels specifically for remembering better this incident. Also, are you using the Feyenoord riots in Rome that ruined the Barcaccia fountain in 2015 as a point against Italians? Uhm... okay. Now of course, Italian supporters are hardly "good guys" in a general sense.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies