Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:55:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Author Topic: Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup  (Read 10164 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2021, 10:07:21 PM »

This summer promises to be a special one if you follow a National Football (Soccer) team, as three continents (UEFA, representing Europe, CONCACAF, representing North America and the Caribbean and COMMEBOL, representing South America) will have their major showpiece tournaments.

First, we have the long delayed Euro 2020, which will take place from June 11, to July 11, at locations across Europe.

At roughly the same time, we have the equally long delayed Copa America, which will take place in Argentina from June 13, to July 10.

After all this, we have the Gold Cup, taking place, as always in the United States, from July 10 until August 1.

This thread is intended to be the home for discussion of all three tournaments, and for football (soccer) fans to make picks for all three tournaments as well.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 11:07:45 PM »

Nobody cares about the Gold Cup, lol. And the new Euro format is a disgrace, as proved by Portugal winning after winning 1 game in the entire tournament.

The Centenario was a fantastic tournament, they need to merge the two Americas confederations and switch to that format.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 11:33:44 PM »

Copa America suspended as Argentina goes through a COVID surge. A cancellation may be imminent.

The South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) said on Sunday that Argentina would no longer host the Copa America, throwing the troubled tournament into doubt just 13 days before it was due to kick off.

The tournament, featuring 10 South American nations, had been due to be held in Argentina and Colombia between June 13 and July 10, the first time in its 105-year history with joint hosts.

However, Colombia was removed as co-host on May 20 after a wave of protests demanding social and economic change spread across the country and Argentina has now followed due to what CONMEBOL said was the "present circumstances."

CONMEBOL did not disclose the nature of the circumstances that led to the decision but Argentina is currently experiencing a surge in COVID-19 cases.

"CONMEBOL is analysing offers from other countries that have shown interest in hosting the continental tournament," it said in a short statement. "Updates will be announced soon."

Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 08:25:19 PM »

And in a really weird twist Conmebol announced that the 2021 Copa América Will take place in Brazil, despite the Brazilian government still haven't confirmed it officially
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 09:23:52 PM »

And in a really weird twist Conmebol announced that the 2021 Copa América Will take place in Brazil, despite the Brazilian government still haven't confirmed it officially

I'm sure Bolosonaro would love for South America's biggest football showpiece to take place in his country.

Then again, isn't COVID currently worse in Brazil than it is in Argentina? So there must be something else going on here that we don't know about.

Maybe the U.S would be interested in hosting (could we be able to host Copa America and the Gold Cup back to back?)
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 09:26:28 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2021, 09:34:33 PM by Alex »

I'm sure Bolosonaro would love for South America's biggest football showpiece to take place in his country.

Then again, isn't COVID currently worse in Brazil than it is in Argentina? So there must be something else going on here that we don't know about.

Maybe the U.S would be interested in hosting (could we be able to host Copa America and the Gold Cup back to back?)

We're currently doinga lot  worse than Brazil right now
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 07:04:10 PM »

Group F in the Euros is going to be nuts.

That's the France, Germany, Portugal, Hungary group.

We've got Cristiano Ronaldo vs Kylan Mbappe vs Serge Gnabry/Timo Werner.

This should be fun.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 07:29:46 AM »

It is nice to have the inaugural match of this multinational edition of the European Cup being played in my country, precisely at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome, and even nicer to have Italy being one of the two teams in the match. I am quite excited for Italy - Turkey tonight!

Mancini's record at the helm of the Italian national team so far has been beyond spectacular. Let's see if we can keep on that track when the stakes become the highest. I certainly hope so.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 07:31:10 AM »

It is nice to have the inaugural match of this multinational edition of the European Cup being played in my country, precisely at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome, and even nicer to have Italy being one of the two teams in the match. I am quite excited for Italy - Turkey tonight!

Mancini's record at the helm of the Italian national team so far has been beyond spectacular. Let's see if we can keep on that track when the stakes become the highest. I certainly hope so.

I bet Turkey and Italy to draw LOL. Don't worry, I have far worse predictions for England. Smiley
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 07:35:10 AM »

I bet Turkey and Italy to draw LOL. Don't worry, I have far worse predictions for England. Smiley

Well, I have been told our most prominent football-watching English poster actually supports Germany by virtue of family ties. Lol
By the way, do you root for Scotland among European national teams?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 07:42:01 AM »

Well, I have been told our most prominent football-watching English poster actually supports Germany by virtue of family ties. Lol

I support the team I bet on, and I always bet against England. (although part of that is a rational decision, because there is always a ridiculous amount of money backing England, so you can often get good odds betting against England)

I will not, however, be betting on this Scotland team to beat England though, LOL.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 07:48:39 AM »

As Battista alluded to, I do indeed support Germany. This is obviously not the strongest Germany side ever (although it’s good to have Müller back), and we have a comically tough group, but I hope that the side can benefit from having the least amount of expectation on them pre-tournament in ages.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2021, 08:08:29 AM »

I want to know what Hungary did to have all three of France, Germany and Portugal drawn in their group.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 01:09:05 PM »

Less than a half hour until the Euro's kick off.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2021, 02:08:16 PM »

Andrea Bocelli singing Puccini's Nessun dorma for the inaugural ceremony of the European Cup was simply marvelous. Purple heart
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2021, 02:19:03 PM »

Nobody cares about the Gold Cup, lol. And the new Euro format is a disgrace, as proved by Portugal winning after winning 1 game in the entire tournament.

The Centenario was a fantastic tournament, they need to merge the two Americas confederations and switch to that format.

24 teams is too much for a continent with 53 federations.

16 was just right.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 02:22:26 PM »

I support the team I bet on, and I always bet against England. (although part of that is a rational decision, because there is always a ridiculous amount of money backing England, so you can often get good odds betting against England)

I will not, however, be betting on this Scotland team to beat England though, LOL.

I noticed that most of the major European teams seem to be in reconstruction phase right now.

The only one that really strikes me as good is France.

It's to the point where my prediction is France beating ENGLAND in the final (there used to always be teams better than England, but due to the point mentioned above, I really only see France as better than them; and yes if both teams finish top of their group as I predict, the one time they can meet is in the final).

I get the feeling that the Euro will be underwhelming this year.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2021, 02:25:46 PM »

I threw a bet on the Netherlands to win. They have an easy group, some good players, and the odds were really good.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2021, 02:32:22 PM »

As Battista alluded to, I do indeed support Germany. This is obviously not the strongest Germany side ever (although it’s good to have Müller back), and we have a comically tough group, but I hope that the side can benefit from having the least amount of expectation on them pre-tournament in ages.

This is Germany's weakest team since I've been following the sport (and I've been following for 15 years now), and you probably have to go back a good 20 years to get to the last time they were this unimpressive. It's the first time that I haven't expected much at all from Germany. I think Germany will finish second or third in their group and then will get knocked out in the first knockout round (I think Portugal get knocked out in the first knockout round as well).
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 02:35:48 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2021, 02:51:04 PM by Lechasseur »

I threw a bet on the Netherlands to win. They have an easy group, some good players, and the odds were really good.

Yeah why not, you only have France that really strike me as a stronger team.

They're as good of a prediction as anyone (other than France imo).
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2021, 02:39:27 PM »

And what do you think of the Copa America?

I find the Copa America to generally be a lot harder to predict than the Euro.

It seems to me that any of Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay could feasibly win it.
GenerationTerrorist
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2021, 02:39:53 PM »

I noticed that most of the major European teams seem to be in reconstruction phase right now.

We're not, to be honest.

We are a far better team than we were compare to the 2018 World Cup, and we have a lot of decent options. Especially going forward, I think we could blow any team away. I just really, really worry about our defence. That is what will stop us winning the tournament.

In my Predictions League at work, I have us losing to France in the last 16.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2021, 02:44:17 PM »

We're not, to be honest.

We are a far better team than we were compare to the 2018 World Cup, and we have a lot of decent options. Especially going forward, I think we could blow any team away. I just really, really worry about our defence. That is what will stop us winning the tournament.

Oh I agree with you on England.

I think England right now has their best team since the 2006 World Cup.

Why do you think you'll get knocked out by France in the last 16? You think you'll finish behind Croatia in your group?

Croatia were definitely the better team 3 years ago, but now I think England are clearly better (Croatia's team is pretty old now). I don't see why England couldn't finish first in their group.
GenerationTerrorist
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2021, 02:54:38 PM »

We're not, to be honest.

Why do you think you'll get knocked out by France in the last 16? You think you'll finish behind Croatia in your group?

Croatia were definitely the better team 3 years ago, but now I think England are clearly better (Croatia's team is pretty old now). I don't see why England couldn't finish first in their group.

Lech, if we win our group, I think we play the 2nd placed team of the mental Germany/Portugal/France/Hungary group in the last 16. That group is insane. I think we'd be underdogs against 3 of those teams, and even Hungary are a side not to be underestimated.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2021, 03:14:47 PM »

We're not, to be honest.

Lech, if we win our group, I think we play the 2nd placed team of the mental Germany/Portugal/France/Hungary group in the last 16. That group is insane. I think we'd be underdogs against 3 of those teams, and even Hungary are a side not to be underestimated.

Germany is a team undergoing reconstruction right now and probably have their weakest team in 20 years, and Portugal aren't the team they were 5 years ago.

I think England have a very good shot against either of them (don't underestimate them ofc but I believe England can more than do it).

Really the only one out of that lot that I think England is underdog against is France, but I believe France will finish first in the group.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies