Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:05:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup  (Read 10215 times)
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« on: June 23, 2021, 01:42:58 PM »

Gosh, watching Slovakia was painful at times.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 02:58:36 PM »

Will be glad when it's all over, had enough of this wall-to-wall masturbatory and pathetic chutzpah. Will be sickening to watch Boris Johnson take credit and celebrate standing next to people he would've denied food when they were kids. Tour de France, now there's a good sporting event on at the moment.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 03:19:12 PM »

Tour de France, now there's a good sporting event on at the moment.

Not this year - Tadej Pogacar's complete (not at all suspicious) otherworldliness has ruined the fun Sad

I've been rooting for Cavendish to beat Merckx's record the whole way (big fan of his) so the first half was exciting for me. Though yeah, doesn't have the excitement in the GC the way previous tours have done.

beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 04:08:22 PM »

I spotted a sign in the audience which read something like WE CAME HERE FOR THE ITALIANS - with Scottish flags on it - and I found that particularly funny for some reason.

Probably just someone not liking England but a lot of Scots, particularly in the Paisley area, are Italian or have Italian ancestry.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 05:04:45 PM »

Worthy winners. Italy clearly the better team. I hope for a similar result for Boris, how satisfied I will be. Sad for the players though.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 05:21:10 PM »

Gosh, some England fans are acting like Trumpists wanting to overturn the election results.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 02:54:38 PM »

There does seem to be something particular about the England football team that brings out the angriest, most resentful, most unpleasant side of English nationalism.

Like, I remember going to the Champions League final in Kiev in 2018 and the Liverpool fans were absolutely brilliant. Like amazing fun, super friendly, created probably the best atmosphere I have ever experienced at any football event. So its not like it's a problem withe English football culture in itself. There's just a side that seems to come out when it is specifically England who are playing

Yes, because a lot of the so-called football hooligans aren't big fans of club football or even football at all.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies