Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:47:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup  (Read 10208 times)
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« on: June 20, 2021, 02:08:22 PM »

Seferovic scored! Probably that means hell is in the process is freezing over, but who cares, I don't think I've ever seen us score three goals in a single game before.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 04:36:34 PM »

Well I’m currently hiding in a the bathroom because I can’t bear this

All I wanted to say
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 04:50:26 PM »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 01:57:02 PM »

Somewhat bitter. Although in all honesty I don't think I could have coped with another one of those.

Sommer was absolutely out of the world though.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 04:02:59 PM »

Shoot me, but I think England are going to do it.

At least, I hope they do, they are by far the most sympathetic of the teams still in.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 04:07:52 PM »

At least, I hope they do, they are by far the most sympathetic of the teams still in.

Denmark, surely?

In "support the underdogs" yeah, I'd love to see them do it obviously. But I feel pretty positively inclined towards this England team in particular (far more so than Spain or Italy, especially after their outing against Belgium), and there's a romantic side of me that would love to see England finally do it.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 04:15:32 PM »

Denmark, surely?

In "support the underdogs" yeah, I'd love to see them do it obviously. But I feel pretty positively inclined towards this England team in particular (far more so than Spain or Italy, especially after their outing against Belgium), and there's a romantic side of me that would love to see England finally do it.

I was referring in particular to the trauma that befell Denmark in their opening match, and the team’s magnificent response to it. They seem to be everyone’s second team this tournament.

I agree that this England side is fairly likeable; the core fans are as awful as ever, though.

Oh yeah, you're right - and the Russia game was one of the games I enjoyed watching the most so far.

But I wouldn't hold the worst side of England's support against them, and I can't think of a country for who winning would be more meaningful than it would be for England.

Basically either of the two and I'll be happy Tongue
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 03:09:49 PM »

Tour de France, now there's a good sporting event on at the moment.

Not this year - Tadej Pogacar's complete (not at all suspicious) otherworldliness has ruined the fun Sad
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 10:06:47 AM »

There does seem to be something particular about the England football team that brings out the angriest, most resentful, most unpleasant side of English nationalism.

Like, I remember going to the Champions League final in Kiev in 2018 and the Liverpool fans were absolutely brilliant. Like amazing fun, super friendly, created probably the best atmosphere I have ever experienced at any football event. So its not like it's a problem withe English football culture in itself. There's just a side that seems to come out when it is specifically England who are playing
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies