Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:55:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup  (Read 10226 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« on: June 15, 2021, 02:00:43 PM »

I'm actually watching Germany-France now, usually don't watch football that often.

I expect we'll lose though.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 03:06:34 PM »

Germany quite frankly played Portugal off the pitch today, although defensive frailties were still present. All the dismissive takes after what was by no means an especially bad performance against France are looking rather silly now.

Indeed, in fact the signs were already there in the game against Hungary. Portugal had immense difficulties against a very weak Hungary and was only able to score as Hungary just gave up at a certain point. Let's see how it goes with France, although I think it will be very difficult to defeat France. We'll see.

Agreed. Portugal had two own goals, which was very unfortunate for them, though I'd say Germany deserved the win. Much stronger performance than against France. Portugal had a relatively strong finish, though; if the match went on for another ten minutes, it may have been 4:3 or 4:4.

I just noticed that three own goals now happened in the sole two matchups we participated in.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 02:10:49 PM »

Round of 16 Predictions (predicted winner in bold):
Belgium vs Portugal
Italy vs Austria
France vs Switzerland
Croatia vs Spain
Sweden vs Ukraine
England vs Germany (I've changed my prediction compared to what I thought pre-tournament; I do see a fighting spirit in the German team that I really haven't seen in England)
Netherlands vs Czech Republic
Wales vs Denmark

One thing I'll point out is I find how the draw was done was a bit of a shame, the better teams almost all seem to be in France's half of the draw

I think the reason for the fighting spirit in the German team is due to the fact this championship is the end of Joachim Löw's 15 year tenure as coach. Yesterday, it was very close to being ended by a humiliating defeat against Hungary. (Probably he should have left in 2014 at the peak of his popularity and the world championship)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 12:43:32 PM »

Congrats to Italy for a deserved win. They were overall the better team in the final match except for the first 15 minutes. Truly disgusting are the racist rants over the players who failed in the penalties.

Yesterday it almost felt like Germany had won as several Italians celebrated with singing and horns in the streets here.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies