Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:13:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup  (Read 10222 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: July 07, 2021, 05:12:14 PM »

How ******* blind does the referee have to be to not notice that there are two footballs on the pitch?
He probably did see, but didn't judge it to be interfering with play. If two balls on the pitch automatically stopped play no matter what, a team could just throw an extra ball on to the pitch whenever they thought the other team was about to score. In this case though, the balls were practically next to each other at one point, so it's much harder to explain the referee's decision...
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #151 on: July 07, 2021, 05:14:59 PM »

How ******* blind does the referee have to be to not notice that there are two footballs on the pitch?
He probably did see, but didn't judge it to be interfering with play. If two balls on the pitch automatically stopped play no matter what, a team could just throw an extra ball on to the pitch whenever they thought the other team was about to score. In this case though, the balls were practically next to each other at one point, so it's much harder to explain the referee's decision...
And if a team did that in a soccer match and I was refereeing, I'd award their opponents a penalty. That kind of situation should be re-viewable by VAR (to determine how the second ball got on the field. If it was thrown on the field by someone on the England/Denmark bench than England/Denmark-whichever side didn't throw the ball, should get a penalty kick)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #152 on: July 07, 2021, 05:16:51 PM »

And if a team did that in a soccer match and I was refereeing, I'd award their opponents a penalty. That kind of situation should be re-viewable by VAR (to determine how the second ball got on the field. If it was thrown on the field by someone on the England/Denmark bench than England/Denmark-whichever side didn't throw the ball, should get a penalty kick)
Well, that's why you are not a referee. They would get a yellow or red card depending on the circumstances.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #153 on: July 07, 2021, 05:20:42 PM »

A laser was also being shone by an England fan in Schmeichel’s eye as Kane was taking the penalty. Tbf, not the referee’s fault, just the typical awfulness of England fans.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #154 on: July 07, 2021, 05:22:54 PM »

A laser was also being shone by an England fan in Schmeichel’s eye as Kane was taking the penalty. Tbf, not the referee’s fault, just the typical awfulness of England fans.
Awful, but sadly not uniquely awful.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #155 on: July 07, 2021, 05:42:55 PM »

Updated pick for the Euro final:

England 2, Italy 2 (England defeats Italy on Penalties, 5-4)

Updated pick for the Copa America Final:

Argentina 1, Brazil 0 (In Extra Time)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2021, 05:47:53 PM »

Good match between two basically sympathetic teams.* Penalty borderline: a genuine matter of interpretation either way.

*A bit of less than super behavior from players on both teams but lmao nothing compared to the shitshow last night. Or how Italy will behave in the final!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2021, 05:51:24 PM »

England were the better team on the day, but the circumstances in which they have gone through are so disgraceful. When even all the English pundit hacks are saying the penalty was soft, you know it’s a blatant dive.

It was a blatant dive but there was also a small amount of contact. I'm afraid that football's badly written rules and the frankly Byzantine nature of the unwritten ones that referees have to abide by often lead to messy situations like this. I like the sport a great deal but there are reasons why I prefer Tennis and Cricket, must say.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #158 on: July 07, 2021, 05:55:27 PM »

England were the better team on the day, but the circumstances in which they have gone through are so disgraceful. When even all the English pundit hacks are saying the penalty was soft, you know it’s a blatant dive.

It was a blatant dive but there was also a small amount of contact. I'm afraid that football's badly written rules and the frankly Byzantine nature of the unwritten ones that referees have to abide by often lead to messy situations like this. I like the sport a great deal but there are reasons why I prefer Tennis and Cricket, must say.

Indeed. It is was it is and England were the better side, but it leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth. From a neutral’s perspective, no one wants to see a match of this magnitude decided in that manner.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #159 on: July 07, 2021, 07:50:23 PM »

England might be the weakest team remaining in the tournament even if Spain looked worse this week. Just relax.
It's coming home

The home:

Yeah I've got some news for you.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #160 on: July 09, 2021, 08:35:43 AM »

The COPA AMERICA final is tomorrow. Argentina and Brazil.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Copa_Am%C3%A9rica_Final
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: July 09, 2021, 10:35:32 PM »

Brazil is so much better than Argentina on paper, it isn't even funny. I mean, I know Argentina isn't exactly known for having great defenders, but that back line is embarrassing compared to that beautiful Brazilian back line of Danilo, Renan Lodi, the best central defensive partnership in the world in Marquinhos and Thiago Silva (matched only perhaps by Chiellini and Bonucci), and Casemiro in front. Plus, there's that Olympic gold medalist diver called Neymar...

Might be one of the more likeable Brazil squads in recent memory too, despite Neymar's antics.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #162 on: July 09, 2021, 10:50:29 PM »

Brazil is so much better than Argentina on paper, it isn't even funny. I mean, I know Argentina isn't exactly known for having great defenders, but that back line is embarrassing compared to that beautiful Brazilian back line of Danilo, Renan Lodi, the best central defensive partnership in the world in Marquinhos and Thiago Silva (matched only perhaps by Chiellini and Bonucci), and Casemiro in front. Plus, there's that Olympic gold medalist diver called Neymar...

Might be one of the more likeable Brazil squads in recent memory too, despite Neymar's antics.

Games aren't won on paper (just ask France).
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #163 on: July 09, 2021, 10:54:24 PM »

Games aren't won on paper (just ask France).

Yes, of course. (although I'd also argue France's squad wasn't nearly as good as people were giving it credit for, but still miles better than that Swiss side that had like Sommer and maybe Freuler as good players) And Argentina have a habit of doing well in tournaments when they play badly, being the least deserving World Cup finalists in history in 1990 and 2014.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2021, 06:26:23 PM »

My picks to win are Brazil and Italy
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2021, 08:29:48 PM »

Just under seventy-five minutes in, and Argentina is up 1-0 in the Copa America Final.

Meanwhile, over in the Gold Cup, Curacao has been removed due to positive COVID tests and been replaced by Guatemala.

Curacao was dropped from the CONCACAF Gold Cup on Friday because of positive COVID tests and replaced by Guatemala.

Ranked 76th, Curacao was to open Group A on Saturday against El Salvador in Frisco, Texas, then play Mexico on Wednesday in Dallas and Trinidad and Tobago on July 18 at Frisco.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2021, 08:31:49 PM »

lol this American commentary is a joke.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2021, 08:38:11 PM »

lol this American commentary is a joke.

I personally like the commentary ESPN has for the Euros. Sounds a bit more authentic.

Fox Sports's commentary for the Copa America is more like what you'd hear for an MLS game, and that's not a good thing.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #168 on: July 10, 2021, 08:52:18 PM »

It's OVER!

Lionel Messi is a Copa America Champion!

Argentina wins 1-0!
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #169 on: July 10, 2021, 08:53:47 PM »

That was a terrible game. Last few minutes were kinda interesting not so much for the quality, but the hilarious miss by Messi, and then Neymar showing he can stay on his feet when tackled after all... much too late of course.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #170 on: July 10, 2021, 09:22:57 PM »

Messi gets his trophy, at last
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #171 on: July 10, 2021, 09:35:55 PM »

One of the most hatable imo. They did nothing to pay homage to more than a half million dead on COVID. Team is complicit with Bolsonaro antics of bringing Copa America in the middle of crisis for the sake of stimulating “Panem et Circenses” feels in the population, which failed (practically no one cares about Copa America here, only World Cup is relevant). Half of them planned to celebrate the title with Bolsonaro and definitely voted for him in 2018.

Rooted for Argentina to win and got everything I wanted. The shirt of the Brazilian football team is tainted with blood and represents the “party of the president”, not the country. Brazilian colors were hijacked. If anything this loss was too small, I wanted something that could humiliate them more. Anything that works against Bolsonaro is good for the country.
Cortarán todas las flores, pero jamás detendrán la primavera
philormus
Rookie
Argentina
« Reply #172 on: July 10, 2021, 09:53:00 PM »

Well thanks for the good vibes man.

Anyways, glad for the team, they broke a 28 year drought and gave us moment of happines amid very dificult times. And glad for Messi, he deserved this.

Also a good omen for the english, they might end their own drought tomorrow (though i'll be rooting for Italy, of course)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #173 on: July 10, 2021, 09:59:24 PM »

One of the most hatable imo. They did nothing to pay homage to more than a half million dead on COVID. Team is complicit with Bolsonaro antics of bringing Copa America in the middle of crisis for the sake of stimulating “Panem et Circenses” feels in the population, which failed (practically no one cares about Copa America here, only World Cup is relevant). Half of them planned to celebrate the title with Bolsonaro and definitely voted for him in 2018.

Rooted for Argentina to win and got everything I wanted. The shirt of the Brazilian football team is tainted with blood and represents the “party of the president”, not the country. Brazilian colors were hijacked. If anything this loss was too small, I wanted something that could humiliate them more. Anything that works against Bolsonaro is good for the country.

So basically the Brazil team is pro-right wing? It is like how many people see the England soccer team as progressive?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: July 10, 2021, 10:49:13 PM »

Half of them planned to celebrate the title with Bolsonaro and definitely voted for him in 2018.
Shouldn't be surprising that I like the team, then. Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies