Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:47:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Author Topic: Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup  (Read 10204 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2021, 09:54:18 PM »

I think Spain wins the whole thing
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2021, 06:30:22 PM »

U.S Gold Cup squad list out

It's a very MLS-heavy squad (no Pulisic, McKennie, Musah, Reyna). The only players based outside of the United States on the team for the Gold Cup will be Shaq Moore (Tenerife), Nicholas Gioacchini (Caen) and Matthew Hoppe (Schalke).

The United States does come into the Gold Cup riding high, having defeated rivals Mexico to win the CONCACAF Nations League last month, but that was with a very different squad.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2021, 06:46:23 PM »

It's a very MLS-heavy squad (no Pulisic, McKennie, Musah, Reyna). The only players based outside of the United States on the team for the Gold Cup will be Shaq Moore (Tenerife), Nicholas Gioacchini (Caen) and Matthew Hoppe (Schalke).

The United States does come into the Gold Cup riding high, having defeated rivals Mexico to win the CONCACAF Nations League last month, but that was with a very different squad.

Why did the likes of Pulisic not make the squad?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2021, 07:02:15 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2021, 07:07:54 PM by NewYorkExpress »

I imagine Gregg Berhalter wanted to give Pulisic, McKennie, Musah, Reyna etc. a rest. It's been a long club season in Europe.

For the United States, the priority is very different here than say...Mexico. They don't need to win, necessarily, their focus is on qualifying for the World Cup.

For Mexico, the situation is very different. El Tri isn't in good form lately (their only wins in their last four matches are against Panama, and the Nations League Semifinals against Costa Rica, and they didn't look good at all in the latter game). They probably need to win the Gold Cup if they want to save Gerardo Martinez's job. Doing that and qualifying for the World Cup would be even better.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2021, 10:14:06 PM »

Because not even US Soccer cares about the Gold Cup.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2021, 10:17:57 PM »

Because not even US Soccer cares about the Gold Cup.

Under normal circumstances, we might care a bit more. However, you are right that having failed to qualify for the World Cup in 2018, the USSF is putting all of their chips on qualifying for the World Cup in 2022.

The Gold Cup is going to be a lot more important to Mexico than anyone else playing, and that could lead to an interesting dynamic.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2021, 12:49:18 PM »

My picks for the Copa America Quarterfinals (which begin tonight)

Peru defeats Paraguay

Brazil defeats Chile

Uruguay defeats Colombia (in extra time)

Argentina defeats Ecuador
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2021, 01:45:49 PM »

heartbreak for switzerland. I could barely get through that and now I have to face Belgium-Italy.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2021, 01:57:02 PM »

Somewhat bitter. Although in all honesty I don't think I could have coped with another one of those.

Sommer was absolutely out of the world though.
GenerationTerrorist
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2021, 03:15:17 PM »

Italy - Belgium is possibly the finest first half of football I have witnessed (as a neutral) in over a decade. Just wow.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2021, 03:59:15 PM »

🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2021, 04:10:37 PM »

Fuçking italian wankstains simulating and diving all over the place. Hope England smash them.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2021, 04:11:28 PM »

Italy played very cleverly, but truly disgustingly, in the final few minutes of that game, and the ref fell for it totally.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2021, 04:36:13 PM »

Ive recovered from the anger. For me Martinez was hamstrung by his lack of bench but he still could have used it better. Carasco was unlucky to start. I would have put him with Doku and then put THorgan on the other wing instead of the imposter Meunier or have thorgan and meunier with de bruyne in midfield with witsel.

Italy very strong in the press, so you need for me someone in the back three who can pierce it. all 3 of them are passed it. Need to get Zinho Vanheusden and maybe Bornauw into the side and playing regularly with each other.

Happy with Doku, Lukaku looked tired but that's understandable. He still looked dangerous.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2021, 04:42:42 PM »

Fuçking italian wankstains simulating and diving all over the place.

Still, doesn't it cheer you to see the old ways maintained?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2021, 05:01:52 PM »

Fuçking italian wankstains simulating and diving all over the place.

Still, doesn't it cheer you to see the old ways maintained?

Well, between this and the Dutch back in international tournaments? Not really no.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2021, 07:00:58 PM »

Peru survives against Paraguay on penalties in Copa America play, as all eyes tonight turn to the Brazil/Chile game.

Meanwhile, final qualifying for the Gold Cup concludes tonight. Haiti flattened St. Vincent and the Grenadines earlier today, 6-1, with Bermuda still to face Barbados, and Trinidad and Tobago still to face Montserrat tonight.

Three teams will advance out of the Gold Cup Qualifying.

One team will be in Group A, and will face Mexico El Salvador and Curaco. One team will be in Group B, and will face the United States, Canada and Martinique, and one team will be in Group C and will face Costa Rica, Jamaica and Suriname.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: July 03, 2021, 12:58:25 PM »

Looking forward to Denmark/Ukraine.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #118 on: July 03, 2021, 01:02:17 PM »

At this point, there really is little to separate Denmark from Italy as tournament favourites.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: July 03, 2021, 01:47:54 PM »

Southgate seems to choose his starting XI and formation on a whim. Sancho starting is good, but no Grealish after he was the key man vs Germany?
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: July 03, 2021, 04:02:59 PM »

Shoot me, but I think England are going to do it.

At least, I hope they do, they are by far the most sympathetic of the teams still in.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #121 on: July 03, 2021, 04:04:05 PM »

At least, I hope they do, they are by far the most sympathetic of the teams still in.

Denmark, surely?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #122 on: July 03, 2021, 04:06:54 PM »

I like both England and Denmark, but I see England moving on.....
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: July 03, 2021, 04:07:52 PM »

Denmark, surely?

In "support the underdogs" yeah, I'd love to see them do it obviously. But I feel pretty positively inclined towards this England team in particular (far more so than Spain or Italy, especially after their outing against Belgium), and there's a romantic side of me that would love to see England finally do it.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #124 on: July 03, 2021, 04:09:57 PM »

Denmark, surely?

In "support the underdogs" yeah, I'd love to see them do it obviously. But I feel pretty positively inclined towards this England team in particular (far more so than Spain or Italy, especially after their outing against Belgium), and there's a romantic side of me that would love to see England finally do it.

I was referring in particular to the trauma that befell Denmark in their opening match, and the team’s magnificent response to it. They seem to be everyone’s second team this tournament.

I agree that this England side is fairly likeable; the core fans are as awful as ever, though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies