Can you be a friend of the Jews while hating Israel?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:04:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Can you be a friend of the Jews while hating Israel?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: If you hate Israel, can you still be a friend of the Jews?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Can you be a friend of the Jews while hating Israel?  (Read 1510 times)
Terlylane
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2021, 05:49:02 AM »

Of course not.

Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 07:05:53 AM »

There are evangelical anti semites who back Israel so Jesus will descend.
Terlylane
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 07:10:38 AM »

That’s irrelevant. One can support the right nation for wrong reasons.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 09:07:15 AM »

Of course, but it needs understanding of the two people involved that a country government and its people are two different things.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 09:13:12 AM »

Hating the government yes, being a xenophobic anti-zionist and wanting Israel wiped off the map then no.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 10:21:14 AM »

Many Jews, both secular and orthodox, are quite opposed to Israel. Are they not able to be a friend of their own race?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 10:39:41 AM »

If you don't want Israel to exist, then you're not a friend of Jews.  If you have a problem with how the Israeli government treats Palestinians and denies them nationhood, that does not make you antisemitic.  You can still easily be a better friend of Jews than evangelicals who believe Jews are going to hell, and just want foreign policy determined by the Book of Revelation. 
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 10:40:31 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2021, 11:05:06 AM by Sir Mohamed »

What a ridiculous question is this? You really think Israel is just a homogeneous place or country? I have zero tolerance for antisemitism while still opposing certain policies of the Israeli govt. Let's not pretend latter represents all of Israel and its people. Just like Hamas doesn't represent all Palestinians. Such framed questions are just designed to divide people up, with or without intention.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 11:15:24 AM »

PragerU, what a valid source.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 11:23:47 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2021, 11:28:49 AM by GeneralMacArthur »

If you hate Netanyahu, fine, there are plenty of Jews who hate him too.  He's like the Ted Cruz of Israel, there's only a couple politicians to his right.

If you hate the fact that Israel exists as a country, then you have a lot of tough questions to answer if you want to still claim to be a friend of the Jews.  Starting with, how are the Jews supposed to live in peace when the last few millennia have demonstrated with excruciating clarity that if they try to live in other people's countries, those people will eventually try to massacre them for no reason?

The real issue is a lot of people just hate Israel because they've seen a lot of pro-Palestine stuff on the internet, so they just think the PLO/Hamas are the good guys, and therefore Israel are the bad guys and they should hate Israel.  Most of these people are just really ignorant of the history of the conflict.

If you're actually knowledgeable of the last 50 years of the I-P conflict and think Israel are the bad guys then I'd really love to hear how you rationalize that without just openly admitting to hating the Jews.  The reason we get all these extreme right-wingers running Israel is because Israelis have had to endure 50 years of non-stop terrorist attacks and attempts by Hamas and the PLO to murder as many innocent civilians as possible.  The only reason Palestine is getting good PR now is because Israel has finally figured out how to almost entirely prevent them from killing civilians, so the conflict seems one-sided.  But Palestine weren't even the good guys during the Nakba.  They had spent the last 15 years prior engaging in terrorist attacks against the Jews (and the British as punishment for letting Jews live there) and were being led by Adolf Hitler's BFF al-Husseini, a man who openly called for a Palestinian Holocaust and organized an army of tens of thousands to try and make it happen.

The whole "I'm not anti-semitic, I'm anti-zionist" thing is just a social media construct.  If you take a vaction to the Gaza Strip, most of the people there just straight up hate the Jews and want them dead, and that's been true for the entire last century.  If you want to be on their side because you saw some convincing infographic, but don't want to be anti-semitic, guess what, you're not actually on their side.

Likewise for "I'm pro-Palestine but anti-Hamas."  The Palestinian people have consistently chosen men like al-Husseini, Yasser Arafat, and Hamas to lead and represent them, and these men have consistently enjoyed widespread support in Palestine for their goals, ideology, and strategies.  Westerns who want to sympathize with Palestine try to deny the Palestinian people their own agency and replace them with a fantasy Palestine full of peace-loving refugees who really hate the atrocities being committed in their name, the genocidal ideologies being promoted in their name, but can't do anything about it.  That's simply not true.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2021, 11:55:57 AM »

Yes. Life is not a football game. There are no saints in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

This is going to get me in trouble for wrongthink, but if I could I would just snap my fingers and convert all of the Middle East to mainline Christianity. Since that's never going to happen, we're left with the mess that the British created. Nothing new there, of course. But all who live by the sword die by the sword (Matthew 26:52) and the people responsible for that are reaping what they sow in this part of the world.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2021, 12:20:15 PM »

There is nothing antisemitic about hating the Israeli government, and I don’t want people goysplaining to me about how ackchyually it is. Hating Israeli people and not respecting their rights obviously is, though.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2021, 12:24:26 PM »

There is nothing antisemitic about hating the Israeli government, and I don’t want people goysplaining to me about how ackchyually it is. Hating Israeli people and not respecting their rights obviously is, though.

Just an FYI, you would be the goy here, so the proper term would be "Jewsplaining". But that's a pretty hateful term, just as "whitesplaining" and "blacksplaining" are.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2021, 12:34:28 PM »

Just an FYI, you would be the goy here, so the proper term would be "Jewsplaining". But that's a pretty hateful term, just as "whitesplaining" and "blacksplaining" are.

I’m guessing you don’t know this, but I am Jewish, which makes people who aren’t Jewish lecturing me about antisemitism that much worse.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2021, 12:41:31 PM »

I’m guessing you don’t know this, but I am Jewish, which makes people who aren’t Jewish lecturing me about antisemitism that much worse.

No, I did not know this and I do apologize. And I can certainly sympathize why you would not take kindly to non-Jews, especially evangelical Christians, explaining how not supporting the Israeli government is antisemitic.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2021, 04:11:34 PM »

If you hate Netanyahu, fine, there are plenty of Jews who hate him too.  He's like the Ted Cruz of Israel, there's only a couple politicians to his right.

If you hate the fact that Israel exists as a country, then you have a lot of tough questions to answer if you want to still claim to be a friend of the Jews.  Starting with, how are the Jews supposed to live in peace when the last few millennia have demonstrated with excruciating clarity that if they try to live in other people's countries, those people will eventually try to massacre them for no reason?

The real issue is a lot of people just hate Israel because they've seen a lot of pro-Palestine stuff on the internet, so they just think the PLO/Hamas are the good guys, and therefore Israel are the bad guys and they should hate Israel.  Most of these people are just really ignorant of the history of the conflict.

If you're actually knowledgeable of the last 50 years of the I-P conflict and think Israel are the bad guys then I'd really love to hear how you rationalize that without just openly admitting to hating the Jews.  The reason we get all these extreme right-wingers running Israel is because Israelis have had to endure 50 years of non-stop terrorist attacks and attempts by Hamas and the PLO to murder as many innocent civilians as possible.  The only reason Palestine is getting good PR now is because Israel has finally figured out how to almost entirely prevent them from killing civilians, so the conflict seems one-sided.  But Palestine weren't even the good guys during the Nakba.  They had spent the last 15 years prior engaging in terrorist attacks against the Jews (and the British as punishment for letting Jews live there) and were being led by Adolf Hitler's BFF al-Husseini, a man who openly called for a Palestinian Holocaust and organized an army of tens of thousands to try and make it happen.

The whole "I'm not anti-semitic, I'm anti-zionist" thing is just a social media construct.  If you take a vaction to the Gaza Strip, most of the people there just straight up hate the Jews and want them dead, and that's been true for the entire last century.  If you want to be on their side because you saw some convincing infographic, but don't want to be anti-semitic, guess what, you're not actually on their side.

Likewise for "I'm pro-Palestine but anti-Hamas."  The Palestinian people have consistently chosen men like al-Husseini, Yasser Arafat, and Hamas to lead and represent them, and these men have consistently enjoyed widespread support in Palestine for their goals, ideology, and strategies.  Westerns who want to sympathize with Palestine try to deny the Palestinian people their own agency and replace them with a fantasy Palestine full of peace-loving refugees who really hate the atrocities being committed in their name, the genocidal ideologies being promoted in their name, but can't do anything about it.  That's simply not true.
No first world country in the modern era would massacre the Jews for moving to their country
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2021, 04:18:46 PM »

I think you can disagree with the actions of the Israeli government/military without being an anti-semite, but if you HATE the state of Israel itself (as in its very existence and its people) you probably are an anti-semite.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2021, 04:28:32 PM »

No, I did not know this and I do apologize. And I can certainly sympathize why you would not take kindly to non-Jews, especially evangelical Christians, explaining how not supporting the Israeli government is antisemitic.

No need to apologize, you’re good.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2021, 04:31:11 PM »

Absolutely.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2021, 04:31:33 PM »

The state of Israel represents only its elite, it represents neither its citizens nor the Jewish people at large.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2021, 04:31:45 PM »

In order to be a friend of the Chinese people, you have to love both the PRC and ROC governments, obviously.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2021, 04:45:12 PM »

OP didn't even elaborate his own position in the first post, he's just letting garbage tier propaganda rag Youtube channels nobody should click on do the talking for him. This would be like if red avatars started making threads where they take a stand on a self-initiated inquiry by spamming NowThis News or TYT videos.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2021, 04:51:11 PM »

Inherently associating Jewish people with the government of Israel is the mark of Anti-Semitism.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2021, 04:53:32 PM »

Can you be a friend of Jews if you are against infant circumcision?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2021, 04:57:29 PM »

All that shows it that it possible to love Israel but hate Jews.

But back to the trollish OP, Love/hate of the State of Israel and love/hate of Jews are orthogonal axes, tho there often is a considerable correlation, but not always.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies