A good loss for Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 07:28:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  A good loss for Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A good loss for Democrats  (Read 2660 times)
Whacker77

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 06, 2006, 05:00:25 PM »

While most if not all Democrats will disagree with me, I think a failure to retake the House may actually serve the Democrat party well.  If this occurs, it would certainly be the end of Nancy Pelosi as party leader.  Regardless of her politics, I think she's just terrible everytime she appears on TV.

In my opinion, a need for new leadership would open the door for Steny Hoyer to become the Democrat leader in the House.  From a strictly political view, I think he would be great for the Democrat party.  He is the epitome of a skilled politician and I think he would run rings around any of the Republican leaders.  With Pelosi as the Democrat voice, I'm not totally scared, but I would be with Hoyer.
Deano963

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 05:24:37 PM »

I agree that Pelosi is a bad public speaker. I like her politics just fine but she stutters too much when she talks and just isn't very articulate or smooth with an audience. She wouldn't be a good face of the party just for these reasons. She will be the next Speaker of the House though, so I guess I'd better get over it.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 05:35:14 PM »

While most if not all Democrats will disagree with me, I think a failure to retake the House may actually serve the Democrat party well.  If this occurs, it would certainly be the end of Nancy Pelosi as party leader.  Regardless of her politics, I think she's just terrible everytime she appears on TV.

In my opinion, a need for new leadership would open the door for Steny Hoyer to become the Democrat leader in the House.  From a strictly political view, I think he would be great for the Democrat party.  He is the epitome of a skilled politician and I think he would run rings around any of the Republican leaders.  With Pelosi as the Democrat voice, I'm not totally scared, but I would be with Hoyer.

You know what?  I actually agree with you.  I'm not expecting the Dems to retake the House this year, though I have them gaining over 10 seats.  While it would be disappointing, it would be wonderful to oust Pelosi as our Party leader.  Hoyer would be a much better Minority leader, and if the Dems take control in '08, he'd be a great Speaker too.
Conan
conan

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 06:31:10 PM »

Nancy Pelosi is a great face for the democratic party. She radiates strength, confidence, and knowledge. I believe she is tough and a great politician.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 06:41:28 PM »

Nancy Pelosi is a great face for the democratic party. She radiates strength, confidence, and knowledge. I believe she is tough and a great politician.

That's not strength.  It is post-surgery rigidity.
jman724
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 08:27:48 PM »

I would also like to add that if the Dems gain seats in the House and Senate this election, but not enough to take control, that would put them in an excellent position if things are still not going well in 2008.  If Iraq and the economy-- amongst other things-- have not improved and the GOP is still in control, '08 could be a Dem sweep.  They could take the presidency, the Senate, and even knock the GOP to below 200 seats in the House. 
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 09:47:52 PM »

The idea that losing the House would somehow be good for Democrats is preposterous quite frankly, for two reasons.

First of all, a party's purpose is to win elections so as to advance the agenda which will lead to a better and stronger country. It's always better to win than to lose. The objective is to advance the party agenda, and you can only advance the agenda and block that of the other party by winning. The country can't afford another 2 years of complete GOP control in Washington; the stakes in this election are simply too high to take that kind of a mindset.

Secondly, who is to say that things are going to still be going poorly in 2008? It's a long way off, almost no one would have predicted how bad things look for the GOP now in the immediate aftermath of Bush's reelection in 2004. Ditto Clinton getting reelected in 1996 right after the 1994 elections, or 1994 occuring right after Clinton won in 1992. Plus, if the Democrats win, the chances of things being better in 2008 is far higher than it is if they lose; the objective, again, returning to my last point, is to make the country better.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 10:54:52 PM »

Nancy Pelosi is a great face for the democratic party.

Yeah, if you solely want to appeal to feminists and far-left voters.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 11:08:13 PM »

Which Nancy Pelosi are you talking about?
Conan
conan

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 11:12:50 PM »

Not really. Only people who follow politics a lot will know she is left wing. However when she makes publics appearances she has a wide base appeal as she doesnt only speak about only a liberal agenda but family ones and fiscal ones.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 02:14:50 AM »

I think the Dems will net gain 14 with Melissa Bean falling in IL. She isn't that popular in IL. Again the Dems will win 15 but lose Melissa Bean's seat.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 02:18:53 AM »

I think the Dems will net gain 14 with Melissa Bean falling in IL. She isn't that popular in IL. Again the Dems will win 15 but lose Melissa Bean's seat.

Hopefully we can persuade someone to switch parties if that happens, although unfortunately there aren't as many good possibilities for that left as there used to be (and may well be even fewer after the election).
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 02:20:11 AM »

Not really. Only people who follow politics a lot will know she is left wing. However when she makes publics appearances she has a wide base appeal as she doesnt only speak about only a liberal agenda but family ones and fiscal ones.

Very true. Newt Gingrich didn't stop the GOP from gaining a net 52 House seats in 1994 and from keeping the House ever since. Most people likewise at the time didn't know his views, but even once they did, he didn't cost his party the majority.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 02:31:33 AM »

Better than appealing to misogynists who dislike every strong female politician.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 02:42:47 AM »

Nancy Pelosi was picked for her fundraising ability not based on her ability to persuade people.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 01:27:56 PM »

I'm neither and she appeals to me.  A lot.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 01:50:37 PM »

Both Nancy and Steny suck, except for different reasons!

Nancy is not very articulate and she does have the persona of a San Francisco liberal that does not play well in Peoria.  She'll be fine as Speaker, though, as long as she stays off T.V. and in the cloakrooms...

Steny Hoyer, meanwhile, is milquetoast... plus he's a corporate whore. 

Democrats need someone new in leadership who's fairly progressive andl also is good with the cameras. 
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 07:43:44 PM »

I'd be surprised if the GOP don't target Pelosi mercilessly in every competitive GOP district, east to west, north to south

Dave
Deano963

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006, 08:11:47 PM »

Both Nancy and Steny suck, except for different reasons!

Nancy is not very articulate and she does have the persona of a San Francisco liberal that does not play well in Peoria.  She'll be fine as Speaker, though, as long as she stays off T.V. and in the cloakrooms...

Steny Hoyer, meanwhile, is milquetoast... plus he's a corporate whore. 

Democrats need someone new in leadership who's fairly progressive andl also is good with the cameras. 

coughjackmurthacough
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2006, 08:22:04 PM »

Steny Hoyer has no future in leadership.  He will never be majority leader let alone speaker.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies