House of Represenatives Presidential vote, 1948 and 1968
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:51:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  House of Represenatives Presidential vote, 1948 and 1968
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: House of Represenatives Presidential vote, 1948 and 1968  (Read 1832 times)
RBH

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2006, 03:00:45 PM »

The delegation splits were as follows

1948: 25 D majorities, 20 R majorities, 3 split states

The big question here is would Truman get the votes needed from the split states to get 25 votes.

Those 25 states equal 292 EVs.

As for 1968, here's the delegation split

25 D, 20 R, 5 Split

Humphrey doesn't get the majority since Wallace won 5 of those D Majority states.

I'd imagine that only MS and AL hold for Wallace, and the others start looking for ways to compromise.

Although it seems hard to envision a good scenario for one candidate getting 26 votes on that map.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 04:28:12 PM »

I heard somewhere that Senators also get to vote with the delegation, though I'm not sure if this is true.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 04:40:22 PM »

I heard somewhere that Senators also get to vote with the delegation, though I'm not sure if this is true.

The wiki page shows states such as Delaware having a single vote cast.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 04:43:44 PM »

The wiki page shows states such as Delaware having a single vote cast.

You're probably right, but that is pre-12th amendment.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 06:15:34 PM »

The Senate only gets to vote for VP.  The House had the P all to itself if there is no majority in the EV.  Also IIRC, there was an agreement between the Humphrey and Nixon camps, that if the election went to Congress because of Wallace, they would both support Congress voting for whoever won the PV between themselves.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 07:31:28 PM »

I have never fully understood how it works when there is no overall majority in the EC.  Would somebody care to explain it for me please?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 09:08:21 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2006, 10:10:41 PM by NE LG Ernest »

I have never fully understood how it works when there is no overall majority in the EC.  Would somebody care to explain it for me please?

The Vice President is simple. The top two receivers of the EV go to the Senate to see if they can get a majority of the whole number.  Note that the way the 12th Amendment is worded, a 50-50 tie means a deadlock, since the Vice President can't break this tie.

The President is more complicated.  First off, the top three vote getters can be chosen from.  Then each State's delegation gets an equal vote.  A majority of the delegation must agree, or no vote is cast by that delegation.  A majority of delegations must vote for teh same guy or no one is elected.  That means that if teh election were to go the ouse today, you would need 26 delegations and Wyoming counts just as much as California. Because of the fact that Republican strength is concentrated in small States, they currently have an advantage hould the election fgo the House (just as they also have an edge in the EV as result of the Senate seats counting for the number of electors as well.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 10:09:55 PM »

Incidently, there have been 4 elections where the outcome would have been different had the number of electors equaled just the numebr of Representatives.  In 2000, the Senatorial electors gave Bush the edge over Gore, in 1916 Wilson over Hughes, in 1876 Hayes over Tilden, and 1796 where they likely gave Adams the margin he needed to avoid becoming the first and only three term Vice President. (Depending on how maryland would have been reshuffled, its possible they might have tied, as it loks like Maryland had at least one elector who split his vote betwen Adams and Jefferson.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 10:57:45 PM »

Senators choose the VP in case no candidate has a majority of electoral votes for VP, but they choose among the top 2, rather than the top 3; and they vote as individual senators rather than as States.

There has been one instance when the Senate has chosen the VP.  This was in 1837, when Virginia electors did not vote for Richard Johnson, leaving him with 147 of 294 electoral votes, while Van Buren had 170 of 294 presidential votes.

In 1825, John C Calhoun was easily elected VP by the presidential electors, with 182 of 260 electoral votes, highlighting the fact that the presidential election was an intraparty battle.  Most electors voted for Adams and Calhoun; or Jackson and Calhoun; etc.

1801 was prior to adoption of the 12th Amendment.  Under the original Constitution, after the House of Representatives had chosen the President from among the top 5 electors if none had a majority, or top two if they were tied and had a majority, the Vice Presidency would go to the top remaining vote getter.  The Senate would only choose if there was a tie between the top remaining two.

Jefferson and Burr both had a majority and were tied, so the House of Representatives chose between those two.  After Jefferson was elected by the House, Burr became Vice President not by virtue of being Jefferson's running mate, but because he had received more electoral votes than Adams (or Charles Pinckney).

In 1797, it was a split vote that resulted in Jefferson's election as Vice Presidenct.  John Adams had two more electoral votes than a majority, but Jefferson had more electoral votes than Adams' running mate, Thomas Pinckney, and thus Jefferson became Vice President.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies