Australia General Discussion 4.0: It ain’t easy under Albanese
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 07:02:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion 4.0: It ain’t easy under Albanese
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 34
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion 4.0: It ain’t easy under Albanese  (Read 46148 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: June 12, 2022, 09:50:36 AM »
« edited: June 12, 2022, 09:53:49 AM by GoTfan »

boatist = someone who supports unauthorised boat arrivals. Or, less charitably, the illegal immigration racket under the guise of asylum seeking.

So the fact that the Nadeslingam family is home must enrage you.

Genuinely, why do you feed them?

It's a problem of mine, I admit.

In any case, shifting the discussion back, we now have movement on the Indigenous Voice and federal ICAC, both of which are long overdue. I must say, I am very much looking forward tò what happens when the ICAC investigates the previous government.
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #226 on: June 12, 2022, 09:57:53 AM »

Disclosure: I am myself a university-educated professional living in an inner city. How then have I been inoculated against the biases I criticise my fellow commentators for? I believe the answer, paradoxically, is my membership of the ALP, and more particularly the ALP Right. Since my political affiliation is formal and widely known, I have to guard especially carefully against partisanship. And since I support a faction dominated by hard-boiled pragmatists and generally hostile to the views of the inner urban cosmopolitan elite, I am better equipped to avoid the trap of elite group-think into which many others have fallen.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #227 on: June 12, 2022, 11:25:36 AM »

One thing that might actually be worth more than what most people think is the restoration of funding for Australian broadcasting in some Pacific island nations. Provides a decent counterweight to the Chinese propaganda shovelled in there 24 hours a day.

It will be interesting to see how the Teals go, to be honest. They were likely hoping for a Labor minority so they could push them on things a bit more. The Liberals need to win those seats back to have a hope of winning government back in three years.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #228 on: June 12, 2022, 04:55:55 PM »

With the climbing ban on Uluru (formerly Ayers Rock) having set the example three years ago, other aboriginal groups in Australia are looking to replicate it in their areas:

The next Uluru? Hikers and Aboriginal elders await decision on closure of Wollumbin summit

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #229 on: June 12, 2022, 06:25:11 PM »

With the climbing ban on Uluru (formerly Ayers Rock) having set the example three years ago, other aboriginal groups in Australia are looking to replicate it in their areas:

The next Uluru? Hikers and Aboriginal elders await decision on closure of Wollumbin summit

I think it's well past time that these sorts of lands are returned to full control of the indigenous people. Frankly, the way we've treated them has been disgusting and as i remember one user pointing out, quite paternalistic, even as we were supposedly fixing things.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #230 on: June 12, 2022, 06:54:48 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2022, 07:58:06 AM by Meclazine »

Mt Augustus is over twice the size of Uluru and could be added to your list.

It's not a big issue for the indigenous community or the WA public to be honest. If they close it, not much will happen. It's more of a poster topic for international political discussion.

The Aboriginal community at Burringurrah don't mind people climbing it, but they say there are bad spirits there. They would prefer to have financial assistance as a community rather than banning people from climbing it. If they do take money from tourists for climbing it, then that may imply some level of Duty of Care when they get into strife.

People die on the 12km climb in summer, (1-2 per year) mainly through heat exhaustion, getting lost, or both.

The members of the Burringurrah community I met don't really care. They want there kids to move to the Pilbara and get jobs on the Iron Ore mines rather than waste away in squalor, drunkenness and methamphetamine currently ravaging outback communities. It's not pretty.

Rio Tinto, BHP and Fortescue now have 15% qoutas on the mine site employee numbers for aboriginal workers.

That helps their community and people 100 times more than closing 'rocks' to be climbed.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #231 on: June 12, 2022, 10:09:33 PM »

Mt Augustus is over twice the size of Uluru and could be added to your list.

It's not a big issue for the indigenous community or the WA public to be honest. Id they close it, not much will happen. It's more of a poster topic for international political discussion.

The Aboriginal community at Burringurrah don't mind people climbing it, but they say there are bad spirits there. They would prefer to have financial assistance as a community rather than banning people from climbing it. If they do take money from tourists for climbing it, then that may imply some level of Duty of Care when they get into strife.

People die on the 12km climb in summer, (1-2 per year) mainly through heat exhaustion, getting lost, or both.

The members of the Burringurrah community I met don't really care. They want there kids to move to the Pilbara and get jobs on the Iron Ore mines rather than waste away in squalor, drunkenness and methamphetamine currently ravaging outback communities. It's not pretty.

Rio Tinto, BHP and Fortescue now have 15% qoutas on the mine site employee numbers for aboriginal workers.

That helps their community and people 100 times more than closing 'rocks' to be climbed.

Rio Tinto? You mean the guys who quite infamously blew up a sacred Aboriginal site?
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

« Reply #232 on: June 13, 2022, 12:05:57 AM »

Leftist activists have little to no connection with what the "oppressed" actually want or believe. I cannott be the only one who was hoping that freak Bob Brown would get his own taste of mob justice when he came with that freaking convoy. I hate him almost as much as i hate Bandt and Richard di Gelato.
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

« Reply #233 on: June 13, 2022, 12:36:23 AM »

It's 2022. Religion matters as little to most Aboriginal Australians as it does to most white Australians - not much at all in day to day life and concerns.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #234 on: June 13, 2022, 08:02:18 PM »

Disclosure: I am myself a university-educated professional living in an inner city. How then have I been inoculated against the biases I criticise my fellow commentators for? I believe the answer, paradoxically, is my membership of the ALP, and more particularly the ALP Right. Since my political affiliation is formal and widely known, I have to guard especially carefully against partisanship. And since I support a faction dominated by hard-boiled pragmatists and generally hostile to the views of the inner urban cosmopolitan elite, I am better equipped to avoid the trap of elite group-think into which many others have fallen.

You sound way too wrapped up in weird identity politics, dude.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #235 on: June 13, 2022, 08:08:09 PM »

I have to confess that I don't quite understand how one can reconcile banning people from accessing an area that somebody considers a 'sacred site' when they would likely have a hostile reaction to Christian or Muslim principles being enshrined into law.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #236 on: June 14, 2022, 12:54:09 AM »

I have to confess that I don't quite understand how one can reconcile banning people from accessing an area that somebody considers a 'sacred site' when they would likely have a hostile reaction to Christian or Muslim principles being enshrined into law.

Aren't those sites usually protected? Australia just wouldn't have them for other religions.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #237 on: June 14, 2022, 05:28:24 AM »

Last time I checked; most Christian and Muslim holy sites are indeed protected by law in one way or another.
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

« Reply #238 on: June 14, 2022, 05:45:53 AM »

and, of course, just like Christianity, and Judaism and Islam, Australian Aboriginal religion is based in belief not science so the supposed notion of sacred sites is fictional any way.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #239 on: June 14, 2022, 08:51:42 AM »

Which is how to completely miss the point.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #240 on: June 15, 2022, 08:07:30 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2022, 08:37:34 AM by Meclazine »

and, of course, just like Christianity, and Judaism and Islam, Australian Aboriginal religion is based in belief not science so the supposed notion of sacred sites is fictional any way.

I find there is a 'fictional' component invented by white people on how they want aboriginal people to appear, particularly on the ABC.

One of the issues people don't want to recognise in Western Australia is that the violence and particularly sexual violence towards woman and young aboriginal children is rife.

Is that because of any particular social issue or is it simply the introduction of CCTV and mobile phones bringing these issues to light?

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/its-a-war-zone-out-there-confronting-video-shows-wa-alcohol-drug-violence-20170809-gxsgxu.html

It is hard to imagine, but these behaviours are endemic.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/court-justice/cctv-reveals-horrific-extent-of-brennan-stack-and-shai-martins-alleged-attack-on-two-women-c-6348774

https://omny.fm/shows/the-west-live/breaking-unpacking-cctv-footage-of-northbridge-att
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #241 on: June 15, 2022, 09:26:02 PM »

I find there is a 'fictional' component invented by white people on how they want aboriginal people to appear, particularly on the ABC.

One of the issues people don't want to recognise in Western Australia is that the violence and particularly sexual violence towards woman and young aboriginal children is rife.

Is that because of any particular social issue or is it simply the introduction of CCTV and mobile phones bringing these issues to light?

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/its-a-war-zone-out-there-confronting-video-shows-wa-alcohol-drug-violence-20170809-gxsgxu.html

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/court-justice/cctv-reveals-horrific-extent-of-brennan-stack-and-shai-martins-alleged-attack-on-two-women-c-6348774

https://omny.fm/shows/the-west-live/breaking-unpacking-cctv-footage-of-northbridge-att

Look, if you two can put down the thinly-veiled racism for a minute, why should we continue telling the indigenous population "We know what's good for you" when clearly, we have no idea?
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

« Reply #242 on: June 16, 2022, 01:41:34 AM »

Look, if you two can put down the thinly-veiled racism for a minute, why should we continue telling the indigenous population "We know what's good for you" when clearly, we have no idea?
Pointing out that Australian Aboriginal religion is unscientific bullplop like any other religion is reality. By the way, do you want to know how "always was always will be" and "never ceded" will go down with the ordinary voters once they are publicised in the referendum campaign?  Like a cup of cold sick.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #243 on: June 16, 2022, 02:06:27 AM »

Pointing out that Australian Aboriginal religion is unscientific bullplop like any other religion is reality. By the way, do you want to know how "always was always will be" and "never ceded" will go down with the ordinary voters once they are publicised in the referendum campaign?  Like a cup of cold sick.

Something being unscientific doesn't make it not worthy of respect, there are other dimensions in life than the ones that can be comprehended and described scientifically, and the spiritual dimension of life is immensely important to hundreds of millions of people around the world and for many closely intertwined with their identity, dismissing that as superstition or bullplop makes you narrow-minded and a bigot. Using atheism to justify assholery and callousness is unfortunately all to common.

Religion is closely interwoven with culture, so disrespecting their traditional religion is disrespecting their culture and identity. Disrespecting indigenous people when belonging to the group that destroyed their way of life and subsequently oppressed and marginalized them (or groups that benefitted from said actions) is not something any decent person should engage in.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #244 on: June 16, 2022, 06:03:49 AM »

Something being unscientific doesn't make it not worthy of respect, there are other dimensions in life than the ones that can be comprehended and described scientifically, and the spiritual dimension of life is immensely important to hundreds of millions of people around the world and for many closely intertwined with their identity, dismissing that as superstition or bullplop makes you narrow-minded and a bigot. Using atheism to justify assholery and callousness is unfortunately all to common.

Religion is closely interwoven with culture, so disrespecting their traditional religion is disrespecting their culture and identity. Disrespecting indigenous people when belonging to the group that destroyed their way of life and subsequently oppressed and marginalized them (or groups that benefitted from said actions) is not something any decent person should engage in.

It seems Slugg and Meclazine are yet to evolve past the White Australia policy.
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

« Reply #245 on: June 16, 2022, 06:30:41 AM »

It seems Slugg and Meclazine are yet to evolve past the White Australia policy.

RIGHT! THAT IS IT!

If you *want* childish insults to stew on at your next Socialist Alternative meeting, try this:

Always was, always will be, Aboriginal grog!

Grog never ceded!
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #246 on: June 16, 2022, 08:19:03 AM »

Disrespecting indigenous people when belonging to the group that destroyed their way of life and subsequently oppressed and marginalized them (or groups that benefitted from said actions) is not something any decent person should engage in.

That doesn't make any sense. Caring about children in the Aboriginal community because they are being abused is not disrespectful.

Far from it.
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

« Reply #247 on: June 17, 2022, 02:42:55 AM »
« Edited: June 21, 2022, 09:25:34 PM by YE »

I support constitutional recognition but it is clear that indigenous activists do not want that - they want a treaty that will retrospectively recognise, i . e. create, Aboriginal sovereignty over Australia - which i oppose and which will never happen anyway.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #248 on: June 17, 2022, 05:47:09 AM »

I love how in the Australia thread, one of the most far-right posters is a fully paid up member of the labour party.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #249 on: June 17, 2022, 07:36:40 AM »

You mean Slugg? 

Nothing would surprise me there tbh.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length