Marjorie Taylor-Greene compares House mask policy to the Holocaust
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 02:57:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Marjorie Taylor-Greene compares House mask policy to the Holocaust
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Marjorie Taylor-Greene compares House mask policy to the Holocaust  (Read 2567 times)
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2021, 01:37:15 PM »

Peter Mejier chimes in, calls MTG"s comments " beyond reprehensible".

Republican Rep. Peter Meijer (Mich.) denounced comments made by fellow GOP Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (Ga.) who compared the mask policy on the House floor to the Holocaust, calling them “beyond reprehensible.”

“Any comparisons to the Holocaust, it's beyond reprehensible. This is, I don't even have words to describe how disappointing it is to see this hyperbolic speech that frankly amps up and plays into a lot of the antisemitism that we've been seeing in our society today,” Meijer told host Dana Bash on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

“Vicious attacks on the streets of New York and in Los Angeles that should be, and I do condemn that in the strongest terms, there's no excuse for that,” he added.

Notice how it is the Republicans who voted to impeach Trump (Cheney, Meijer, Kinzinger) who have been vociferous and forthright in their condemnations of Taylor-Greene. Much of the Republican caucus, sadly, agrees with Taylor-Greene in private or are just as delusional as she is. I'm talking about people like Gosar, Gohmert, Biggs, Jordan, and Doug Collins' successor in the House, Andrew Clyde. To say nothing of Boebert and Cawthorn. And many others, like Kevin McCarthy, are too craven to do anything about her.

They've stripped her of all of her committee assignments, a la Steve King.  That's hardly "nothing".

MTG was elected by her constituents.  Is she nuts?  She's got some out-there views.  Cori Bush, of course, is an unapolgetic Black Supremecist and everyone is OK with that; she is allowed to openly hate White People and no one says anything, even though she is an unhinged race-hating demogogue. Cori Bush was also elected by her constituents; they, too, get what they ask for at the ballot box.

Part of party "leadership" is to ensure that the party's least responsible Representatives are kept of the more sensitive committees.  It is NOT the job of leadership to run people they don't like out of Congress.  Cori Bush is bigoted against White Americans; she hates them and doesn't hide it.  I'll never think well of her (barring some sort of miraculous change of character) but I'll defend her right to be in the Congress (having been elected) and to be afforded the same opportunities to advance the interests of her constituents as any other member of Congress.  But I see no reason that the same can't be said about MTG, whose election is as legitimate as Cori Bush's election and whose constituents have as much right to be represented in Congress as Cori Bush's constituents.  That includes the right to be afforded the opportunity to be fully a part of the legislative process.  MTG has broken no laws.  She's certainly made statements about Jews worthy of concern, but her constituents elected her, and Representative Government is, firstly, about the constituency.  The same standards of conduct that have been applied to MTG have not been applied to Cori Bush.

One is stripped of her committee assignments but not the otehr
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2021, 01:49:46 PM »

Peter Mejier chimes in, calls MTG"s comments " beyond reprehensible".

Republican Rep. Peter Meijer (Mich.) denounced comments made by fellow GOP Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (Ga.) who compared the mask policy on the House floor to the Holocaust, calling them “beyond reprehensible.”

“Any comparisons to the Holocaust, it's beyond reprehensible. This is, I don't even have words to describe how disappointing it is to see this hyperbolic speech that frankly amps up and plays into a lot of the antisemitism that we've been seeing in our society today,” Meijer told host Dana Bash on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

“Vicious attacks on the streets of New York and in Los Angeles that should be, and I do condemn that in the strongest terms, there's no excuse for that,” he added.

Notice how it is the Republicans who voted to impeach Trump (Cheney, Meijer, Kinzinger) who have been vociferous and forthright in their condemnations of Taylor-Greene. Much of the Republican caucus, sadly, agrees with Taylor-Greene in private or are just as delusional as she is. I'm talking about people like Gosar, Gohmert, Biggs, Jordan, and Doug Collins' successor in the House, Andrew Clyde. To say nothing of Boebert and Cawthorn. And many others, like Kevin McCarthy, are too craven to do anything about her.

They've stripped her of all of her committee assignments, a la Steve King.  That's hardly "nothing".

MTG was elected by her constituents.  Is she nuts?  She's got some out-there views.  Cori Bush, of course, is an unapolgetic Black Supremecist and everyone is OK with that; she is allowed to openly hate White People and no one says anything, even though she is an unhinged race-hating demogogue. Cori Bush was also elected by her constituents; they, too, get what they ask for at the ballot box.

Part of party "leadership" is to ensure that the party's least responsible Representatives are kept of the more sensitive committees.  It is NOT the job of leadership to run people they don't like out of Congress.  Cori Bush is bigoted against White Americans; she hates them and doesn't hide it.  I'll never think well of her (barring some sort of miraculous change of character) but I'll defend her right to be in the Congress (having been elected) and to be afforded the same opportunities to advance the interests of her constituents as any other member of Congress.  But I see no reason that the same can't be said about MTG, whose election is as legitimate as Cori Bush's election and whose constituents have as much right to be represented in Congress as Cori Bush's constituents.  That includes the right to be afforded the opportunity to be fully a part of the legislative process.  MTG has broken no laws.  She's certainly made statements about Jews worthy of concern, but her constituents elected her, and Representative Government is, firstly, about the constituency.  The same standards of conduct that have been applied to MTG have not been applied to Cori Bush.

One is stripped of her committee assignments but not the otehr

I'm not a supporter or a defender of Cori Bush, and I've made plain before my negative views about the Squad, particularly Omar and Tlaib. The Democratic caucus isn't pure and contains many individuals who I disagree with, or who are corrupt and should not be in office. Generally, I find it to be a sad commentary on the state of our democracy that we have such odious and reprehensible figures serving in our Congress.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2021, 02:44:24 PM »

Never want to hear any more moaning about Rashida Tlaib or Ilhan Omar using out of context quotations, please

Cori Bush, of course, is an unapolgetic Black Supremecist and everyone is OK with that ... she hates [White Americans] and doesn't hide it. 

[citation needed]
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2021, 05:48:57 PM »

Is there anything Fuzzy is capable of doing apart from whataboutisms?
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2021, 06:47:57 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2021, 08:15:01 PM by QAnonKelly »

Okay, this is the last thing I’m going to say about her for hopefully a while. I find the media coverage of her to be incredibly distasteful and lacking nuance. This is obviously a woman who’s not well. My guess is she has a personality disorder. That’s not to excuse the horrible things she’s said and done but she deserves empathy. People like her don’t come out of vacuums. Healthy people don’t yell at school shooting survivors on the street. Healthy people don’t believe wildfires are created by space lasers. Healthy people don’t go harass a congresswoman and her staff through a mail slot. Healthy people don’t yell at their colleagues like she did. She clearly doesn’t have a great sense of reality, boundaries, or how to handle disagreements in a rational way. This woman who’s clearly unwell has had her worst instincts and delusions affirmed by bad faith actors like Trump, Mark Zuckerberg and the Murdochs. That’s sad.

I’m not claiming to know the answers but IMO jumping on everything she says just fuels her delusions. She needs help. She also shouldn’t be in Congress until she does so. I wouldn’t be surprised if she ends up hurting someone. AOC should probably get a restraining order against her. Once again, I’m not defending her but just saying she’s a person who’s unwell and needs compassion and sympathy.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2021, 06:59:43 PM »

She does have a point that mask don't deter the germ, but Asian countries have dictated this policy just like 6 ft apart and carry out service that they have been doing this all along since the Pandemic began
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2021, 07:11:24 PM »

I wonder if there should be some kind of mental fitness test for members of Congress.

MTG is a time bomb who could be a real danger to some of her colleagues. Cori Bush was entirely right to move her office away, because that could have ended very, very badly.
Literally Just a Contrarian
KyrstenSinemaFan
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2021, 07:47:21 PM »

I don’t care about what MTG or the Talibs/Omars/AOCs/etc have to say at this point, to be honest. It’s just meaningless noise
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2021, 11:13:50 PM »

I wonder if there should be some kind of mental fitness test for members of Congress.

MTG is a time bomb who could be a real danger to some of her colleagues. Cori Bush was entirely right to move her office away, because that could have ended very, very badly.

Part of me thinks she’s gonna end up hurting someone or something. Even then, I don’t know if McCarthy would do anything about her.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2021, 06:57:44 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2021, 07:41:19 PM by TexasGurl »

This  is hilariously unhinged.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2021, 07:55:12 PM »

I don’t care about what MTG or the Talibs/Omars/AOCs/etc have to say at this point, to be honest. It’s just meaningless noise

I’ll take “False Equivalencies” for $200, Alex.
Literally Just a Contrarian
KyrstenSinemaFan
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2021, 07:56:04 PM »

Omar and Talib called for the destruction of Israel.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2021, 09:23:37 PM »

What a snowflake.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2021, 09:26:55 PM »

As is expected. In a number of respects MTG is just Donald Trump in a dress.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2021, 09:39:44 PM »

As is expected. In a number of respects MTG is just Donald Trump in a dress.

Thanks for giving me an image I can't get out of my head now.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2021, 10:04:25 PM »

Peak white privilege to compare the smallest inconvenience to genocide.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2021, 10:11:56 PM »

Peak white privilege to compare the smallest inconvenience to genocide. 1984

FTFY
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2021, 10:15:23 PM »

Embarrassing clown going to embarrassing clown.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2021, 10:18:23 PM »

[citation needed]
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2021, 10:27:31 PM »

Peak white privilege to compare the smallest inconvenience to genocide.
This past Christmas season, I wore a mask for 70 to 80 hours in a warehouse, using a five-ton forklift to lift pallets with up to 700 pounds of toys up to 40 feet in the air, for up to 14 hours a shift. These idiots b#tching and moaning about wearing a mask for 5 minutes in Fred Meyer are soft as f#%k, and haven’t faced any real adversity in their lives.

Their attitudes are uniformly entitled, and they see even the slightest consideration for others as an assault on their “liberty.” Enjoy your rights when you’re six feet under, f#%kface. It’s just natural selection at work, and you have a fridge temperature IQ.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2021, 10:27:59 PM »

[citation needed]

If they actually had done this, they'd easily be the most based members of Congress
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2021, 01:31:14 PM »

And now the Hitler statute affair. My theory is she says the outrageous just to get attention. Without generating buzz she gets depressed. That's her Adrenalin rush. She really should be put on ignore. With no buzz no rush, and she might move on to some other form of performance art.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/555301-greene-in-2020-video-said-she-wouldnt-take-down-statue-of-hitler
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2021, 03:00:45 PM »

Well, that only took five days. Five days too long, mind you.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2021, 03:02:50 PM »

Lmao, McCarthy has no credibility. He didn't strip this lunatic from committee assignments and left it to the Democrats because he didn't have the guts to do it. Now it took him five days to say anything.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2021, 03:29:00 PM »

Lmao, McCarthy has no credibility. He didn't strip this lunatic from committee assignments and left it to the Democrats because he didn't have the guts to do it. Now it took him five days to say anything.

Is he really such a bad politician that he doesn't see how this belated, empty, Senator Collins-style criticism only makes him  (and by extension, the GOP establishment) look weak  and MGT and her fellow dangerous loons appear strong?

I'd hoped the GOP would have learned something from 1/6, but it is and was obvious that they have not. McCarthy and his fellows will keep riding the fascist wave until it finally turns on them and destroys them (possibly quite literally). The only real question is whether the GOP dies before America does.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies