2020: Biden dies after Trump infects him with COVID-19 at debate, Harris steps in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:09:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2020: Biden dies after Trump infects him with COVID-19 at debate, Harris steps in
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020: Biden dies after Trump infects him with COVID-19 at debate, Harris steps in  (Read 727 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2021, 08:43:50 AM »

As horrible as it sounds, there was legitimiate concern Trump could have infected Biden with COVID-19 at the 1st debate. What if that actually happened and Biden died as a result?

Would Kamala Harris, after becoming Biden's replacement as candidate for prez, win a landslide election with sympathy votes and Trump lose support for being responsible for Biden's passing? Or could Harris still lose? And who is named VP candidate? Or would all depend on how Trump handles the situation? I can't actually imagine him making a sincere public apology. I wouldn't even have been surprised if Mr. Trump bragged about defeating the virus while his opponent didn't. Say Trump's infection turns out exactly as it did IRL.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 10:58:39 AM »

There wouldn’t be as big of a sympathy bump since deplorables would probably celebrate that their Failüre was able to extinguish both the virus and his opponent at the same time.

I think Harris would win narrowly but Trump could even end up winning by “proving” that Biden wasn’t in the right mindset for the presidency and couldn’t be trusted to pick a successor (Harris) either
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 12:21:07 AM »

President Donald Trump (R-FL) / Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)
Senator Kamala Harris (D-CA) / Mayor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN) ✓

Democrats get a little bump. If nothing else, Trump would stick his foot in his mouth and mock Biden for being old or something and further horrify the suburbs. It would be a big deal for such a prominent figure to die of COVID and a statistically significant number of voters would see it as a bridge too far for the anti-mask, anti-lockdown stuff.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 12:57:34 AM »

Trump would probably be indicted by a prosecutor with either manslaughter or second-degree murder in this scenario, and might be denied bail, so I don't think he'd be able to campaign.

Harris wins.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 03:35:36 PM »

Trump would probably be indicted by a prosecutor with either manslaughter or second-degree murder in this scenario, and might be denied bail, so I don't think he'd be able to campaign.

That's a great point! It depends on the state, but you can be prosecuted for purposely exposing others to contagious diseases with specific statutes or general criminal laws- according to the DOJ, COVID meets the statutory definition of a biological agent, so it could even be a terrorism charge. The ensuing court case would be even more monumental than the election, I think. Anti-maskers would consider a guilty decision to be a violation of individual rights on the level of the PATRIOT Act (probably with that exact wording), while the more polished Republicans would just dispute that Trump intended to spread the disease to Biden (with his inevitable statements not helping their case). The decision could spark riots that would make the Storming of the Capitol look like nothing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies