NH State House passes two tier election system law
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:19:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NH State House passes two tier election system law
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NH State House passes two tier election system law  (Read 1152 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2021, 12:19:42 PM »

The NH GOP pushed through the bill on party line votes.   It would create separate systems/processes of registration, different absentee request processes, potentially different verification methods (meaning going to two tables at a polling location) and a number of other changes between Federal and State/local elections. 

It's in response to the possibility of HR1 becoming law.

It sounds like it would be....a complete mess.

HOUSE REPUBLICANS VOTE TO CREATE TWO-TIERED SYSTEM FOR STATE AND FEDERAL ELECTIONS
New concept would double work of election officials, spike costs to taxpayers, and create undue confusion for voters
CONCORD, NEW HAMPSHIRE – Today, the House Election Law Committee voted to adopt amendment 2021-1445h to SB 89, which would create a two-tiered system for state and federal elections if the “For the People Act” currently being debated in the U.S. Congress were to become law.  The committee subsequently voted 10-9 to recommend passage of SB 89 to the full House. Deputy Democratic Leader David E. Cote (D-Nashua), Ranking Democrat on the House Election Law Committee, released the following statement:
“The amendment passed today by Election Law Republicans is blatantly unconstitutional and would turn New Hampshire’s elections into a logistical nightmare.  In their zeal to deny the adoption of basic voting rights like universal access to absentee balloting, Republicans want to create an entirely new election process separating state and federal elections.  This concept would violate the supremacy clause of the U.S. Constitution, double the work of election officials, skyrocket costs to taxpayers, and create vast, unnecessary confusion for voters throughout the state.
The two-tiered election concept is not used in any other states because it is so costly, confusing, and illogical.  It would require separate voting lists, separate ballots, and different laws to govern state and federal races.  The Secretary of State’s Office could not provide any information about the financial impact of this new two-tiered election system, which is particularly concerning given the immense cost it would pass on to Granite State taxpayers.
SB 89 began as a bipartisan bill with simple reforms and improved the procedure for absentee ballot processing.  The partisan amendment brought in by Republicans to create an expensive two-tiered election system is a poison pill.  Passing this legislation when the Secretary of State’s Office could provide zero information about the cost of implementation is the height of irresponsibility.  It is shameful that the interests of New Hampshire taxpayers are being thrown aside because Republicans feel threatened by attempts by Congress to protect voting rights nationwide.”

Is this really legal?  Is there any constitutionality argument against this?

https://news.yahoo.com/house-gop-moves-block-impact-224800067.html
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 12:25:13 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2021, 12:34:08 PM by StateBoiler »

The two-tiered election concept is not used in any other states because it is so costly, confusing, and illogical.  It would require separate voting lists, separate ballots, and different laws to govern state and federal races.

I know they're not states, but aren't the municipalities that allow non-U.S. citizens to vote in their elections required to do this?

Anyone that follows election law instead of being fed partisan bull about it knows that the maintenance of voter rolls in every state regardless of who is in charge is one colossal gigantic failure where the failure is the fault of politicians elected from both parties. Democrats believe in having significantly flawed voter rolls heavily in error to ensure no one is hindered from the right to vote while Republicans believe in trying to do a minimal level of maintenance based on a person not voting in x number of elections means they no longer live there, but nothing to automatically update voter rolls like say using census or annual tax returns to use and cross-check or revise voter rolls.

I think my signature is apt here.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 12:35:45 PM »

The two-tiered election concept is not used in any other states because it is so costly, confusing, and illogical.  It would require separate voting lists, separate ballots, and different laws to govern state and federal races.

I know they're not states, but aren't the municipalities that allow non-U.S. citizens to vote in their elections required to do this?

Anyone that follows election law instead of being fed partisan bull about it knows that the maintenance of voter rolls in every state regardless of who is in charge is one colossal gigantic failure where the failure is the fault of politicians elected from both parties. Democrats believe in having significantly flawed voter rolls heavily in error to ensure no one is hindered from the right to vote while Republicans believe in trying to do a minimal level of maintenance based on a person not voting in x number of elections means they no longer live there, but nothing to automatically update voter rolls like say using census or annual tax returns to use and cross-check or revise voter rolls.

Funny you mention this considering HR1 requires automatic voter registration.   
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 07:14:25 PM »

I mean, whatever the merits, this will surely be challenged in court. Are any other states looking at similar measures?

I think it will pass at this point since it has the support of the Secretary of State office and the GOP is fully on board, so it's not likely we see enough GOP defections to defeat this. This is also probably the nail in the coffin of Bill Garnder's relationship with the NH Democratic Party, not that he had too much support left but coming out for this might be a bridge too far for even his loyalists (especially if it becomes the subject of prolonged and high profile litigation).
Lognog
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 07:53:28 PM »

god, how did NH dems let this happen by losing the house and senate
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 09:25:28 PM »

Amazing that we have an entire political party that raises the burden on workers, makes government less efficient, and wastes government money all to try to stay relevant instead of actually just trying to appeal to voters.  Then when in power they do nothing but stuff like this.  A complete obsession with power with no actual purpose in mind.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 10:53:26 PM »

Hmm....
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 06:36:53 AM »

Thank Biden voters that voted for Republicans for state legislature.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 06:43:17 AM »

AKA idiots. Polarization should go both ways, dammit!
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 07:05:56 AM »

I mean, whatever the merits, this will surely be challenged in court. Are any other states looking at similar measures?

I think it will pass at this point since it has the support of the Secretary of State office and the GOP is fully on board, so it's not likely we see enough GOP defections to defeat this. This is also probably the nail in the coffin of Bill Garnder's relationship with the NH Democratic Party, not that he had too much support left but coming out for this might be a bridge too far for even his loyalists (especially if it becomes the subject of prolonged and high profile litigation).

Indeed. Plus, this is a boost for Sununu in the eyes of GOP activists, given his all but likely senate campaign
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 05:41:29 PM »

Oh the party is also partly to blame--spending the whole campaign trying to woo easily frightened, "educated," and older white people instead of working class voters. NH is exhibit A of the party's terrible demographic strategy
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 05:48:23 PM »

Oh the party is also partly to blame--spending the whole campaign trying to woo easily frightened, "educated," and older white people instead of working class voters. NH is exhibit A of the party's terrible demographic strategy

Here’s a hint for Democrats:  Don’t work to turn out voters who won’t vote Democratic all the way down the ticket.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2021, 11:34:41 AM »

What does this even mean? I can’t figure that out
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 01:46:58 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2021, 01:59:39 AM by I No Longer Fear »

Remember when you all dragged me because I was upset the NHDP decided to platform John Lynch?

Even after he endorsed Gardner, the de facto Republican?

Yeeeeeeeah. This is why every "Democrat" who endorsed Gardner should be ostracized and should have all support cut. Yes, this includes D'Allessandro. No, I don't care that he locks down a swing seat.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2021, 09:29:34 AM »

I too agree that the party should try to appeal #populist racist whites. It doesn’t matter if we make no progress on social issues, such as woman’s issues and minority issues, as long as we get Dixiecrats like Lincoln Davis back in office, it is totally worth it.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 10:18:14 AM »

What does it matter if voter rolls are not updated for deaths or when people change home addresses? Where is this magical list of U.S. citizens 18 and above that is maintained and kept up-to-date, getting crosschecked annually against either state or IRS tax filings?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 11:24:03 AM »

The party that tends to do better amongst less sophisticated voters in New Hampshire will probably lose votes when their voters get turned away from the polls for not having their papers in order.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 04:47:24 PM »

What does it matter if voter rolls are not updated for deaths or when people change home addresses? Where is this magical list of U.S. citizens 18 and above that is maintained and kept up-to-date, getting crosschecked annually against either state or IRS tax filings?

Umm...do you know how AVR works? O_o

Deaths and Address changes are like...two of the most basic parts of AVR.   When you change addresses your required to report it to the DMV and that updates the voter rolls via AVR.  When you die the county issues a death certificate and that updates the voter rolls via AVR.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2021, 08:58:00 AM »
« Edited: July 29, 2021, 09:47:38 AM by StateBoiler »

Umm...do you know how AVR works? O_o

Deaths and Address changes are like...two of the most basic parts of AVR.   When you change addresses your required to report it to the DMV and that updates the voter rolls via AVR.  When you die the county issues a death certificate and that updates the voter rolls via AVR.

That does not happen all the time. I'll be happy to forward you a multitude of news articles where county and state election board personnel state that. They update when they can but if you die out of county or out of state, they never get a notice. Van Wert County which is the county to Fort Wayne's east across the Ohio border, their clerk stated most of their deceased don't get updated because the major hospitals in the area are across the border in Indiana and that's where their residents go. And you're requiring the individual that moves to choose to tell the election board to update, that does not happen all the time by a longshot. Think about how many people never update their driver's license after they move until it expires. I can send you a link to a video podcast from a few months ago where the Chair of the Libertarian Party of Indiana who by virtue of his position as chair of a recognized state political party has access to voting records states that his address in Indianapolis had multiple voters listed as living in his house he did not know. He owns the house and knows the people he bought the house from, and that's none of the other people on there. He took it to the Marion County Election Board and Prosecuting Attorney and neither of them had interest in doing anything. He looked up his neighborhood and a 3-bedroom house down the street had 12 registered voters living there, which while he did not agree with the law, meant they were violating Indianapolis city ordinance having that many people live there if all 12 of those people were actually living there.

Do you want to talk about how often you get mail sent to your house to a person that has not lived there for several years? I got one from Fort Wayne City Government sent to my address from a person that was not any current resident or the previous homeowners. I put it back in the mail and wrote on it "RETURN TO SENDER, HAS NOT LIVED HERE IN AT LEAST 5 YEARS, THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD KNOW THIS".
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2021, 10:16:41 AM »
« Edited: July 29, 2021, 10:35:03 AM by StateBoiler »

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=455050.0

"NYC likely to let non citizens vote locally"

And this is the New York City Board of Elections that just recently slammed down a ton of ballot access for their November general election for the Working Families Party because during the Covid pandemic they said a notary signature for filing had to be wet instead of e-sign. https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/working-families-party-ballot/?force_isolation=true Does anyone think that is a well-run entity that would be able to do a two-tiered election?

(Sorry, I know I'm asking for ideological consistency of posters on this board which is a foreign concept to most instead of them just being partisan assholes like they are most of the time that back whatever as long as their side is for it and hurts the other side.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies