Why Bob Casey won't lose to Santorum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:00:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why Bob Casey won't lose to Santorum
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will Bob Casey win?
Yes.

No, Bobby Casey Jr. cannot win because he's a bad candidate and because Rick Santorum is the best campaigner since Harry Truman.

I'm sick of Pennylvania politics. Aren't there another 49 states in the USA?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Why Bob Casey won't lose to Santorum  (Read 2814 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2006, 01:10:21 PM »
« edited: September 02, 2006, 01:33:54 PM by MarkWarner08 »

Rick Santorum is too extreme for Pennsylvania. You can’t support Bush 98% of the time in a state where Bush has approval rating at  hovering at 40% and still win.

Let’s break down Rick Santorum’s “uphill races.”

2000: Remember Ron Klink? Klink lost in 2000 because he couldn’t raise cash and Santorum was able to exploit Klink’s pro-life view to prevail in the Philly suburbs.

Why that doesn’t compare to 2006:  Philly Mayor and now Governor Ed Rendell wasn’t on the ticket and liberals didn’t target Santorum.

1994: Remember Harris Wofford. My mom knew Harris Wofford because he used to be the dean of Bryn Mawr College, my mom’s alma mater. Wofford had to run as an incumbent in  1994, a climate similar to the won Santorum’s facing. Santorum ran a nasty smear campaign against Wofford and only beat Wofford by 2%.

Why that doesn’t compare to 2006: Poor Santorum has to run as an incumbent in an anti-incumbent. How does it feel, Ricky?

1992: Santorum  won reelection against a weak, overly liberal and largely unknown Democratic foe

Why that doesn’t compare to 2006: Bob Casey is not a weak, unknown liberal running for Congress.

1990: Santorum ran as a challenger and beat an ethically-challenged Democratic Congressman in an anti-incumbent year.

Why that doesn’t compare to 2006:  This was not  really that much of an upset. Anyways, Bob Casey is not an ethically-challenged Democratic Congressman running  in an anti-incumbent year

Casey had ONLY ONE tough race. He lost that race because he ran against Rendell. Rendell is a near deity in Pennsylvania and Rendell would have easily ROUTED  Santorum this year. That’s like saying McCain is a poor candidate because he lost in 2000 to the eventual President of the United States.  McCain first tough race was against Bush – is he a loser in your mind too?

My point was that if he was really such a weak candidate, why did the Penn GOP cede the Treasurer's position to him? That either reflects poorly on your party, or well on Casey.

Do Republicans really believe that Santorum's going to win in a year with Bush's approval ratings in the tank, Rendell soaring to victory, an anti-incumbent tide, an anti-Washington mindset and a potential Democratic pickup of four House seats in the state. He's also never led Casey in the polls, he has low reelect ratings and he has to face a  Democratic onslaught of $5 million in ads in October?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 01:13:44 PM »

Like I said in the other thread:

I challenge all who believe that Santorum will win to go place massive bets on Santorum on TradeSports. After all, if you're so sure, what do you have to lose? Plus if he does win, you'll make a 5:1 profit. Massively betting on Santorum should be a no-brainer if you're so confident of his victory.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 01:15:05 PM »

Like I said in the other thread:

I challenge all who believe that Santorum will win to go place massive bets on Santorum on TradeSports. After all, if you're so sure, what do you have to lose? Plus if he does win, you'll make a 5:1 profit. Massively betting on Santorum should be a no-brainer if you're so confident of his victory.

Put your money where your mouth is. Agreed.
Conan
conan

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 01:16:51 PM »

This thread should be, Where will Santorum work as a lobbyist in 2007?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 01:57:45 PM »

Hey, Santorum has a great shot...................at losing by double digits.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 11:34:21 PM »

Casey had ONLY ONE tough race. He lost that race because he ran against Rendell. Rendell is a near deity in Pennsylvania and Rendell would have easily ROUTED  Santorum this year. That’s like saying McCain is a poor candidate because he lost in 2000 to the eventual President of the United States.  McCain first tough race was against Bush – is he a loser in your mind too?

Rendell is not a "near deity" in Pennsylvania, maybe in Philadelphia.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There were already two competitive GOP candidates on the ballot for row officer races in 2004. The GOP would've had to spend significant funds and recruit a strong candidate to run against Casey, all of which would've taken away money and time that could've (and was) spent trying to get Specter, Corbett, and Peters elected.

Are Santorum's though?

No.

This matters.

We'll see if this happens.

See above.

Potential in which fantasy land exactly?

And Democrats have to face his double cash on hand advantage. Point?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 11:37:53 PM »

Santorum's ratings are in the tank or at least they are pretty bad. Not quite Bush bad but hey whos are?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 11:50:54 PM »

There were already two competitive GOP candidates on the ballot for row officer races in 2004. The GOP would've had to spend significant funds and recruit a strong candidate to run against Casey, all of which would've taken away money and time that could've (and was) spent trying to get Specter, Corbett, and Peters elected.

Are Santorum's though?

No.

This matters.

See above.

I agree with Jake. These 'factors' are limp. Give it time. Am I claiming guarunteed (sp?) victory for Santorum? No. Am I claiming that if theres anyone in the world that could blow this kind of a lead its Bob "I have the social skills of a bag of walnuts" Casey? Yes.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 12:02:26 AM »

Are Santorum's though?

No.

This matters.

See above.

Santorum's already spent over $7 million on TV ads, meaning both candidates are at financial parity.

The four seats Democrats may take back as ranked by Stu Rothenberg:

PA-06: PURE TOSS-UP
PA-07: PURE TOSS-UP
PA-08: TOSS-UP/TILT REPUBLICAN
PA-10: TOSS-UP/TILT REPUBLICAN

Does that make an inhabitant of "fantasy land"? I'm well aware that Republicans are better funded, better prepared for GOTV and better organized than the Democrats. 

I believe this year will be different. There's a tide coming in -- a tide of discontent with Washington as usual. The Republican Congressman from Buckeye State to Bucks County will feel the brunt of it come election day. In an article in The Washington Post today, the writer said that  this election is rare in that it that the Incumbency advantage has been reversed.

I'm not in fantasy land. BTW, unlike most Democrats and some Republicans, I doubt Democrats are going to win any of the Connecticut House races.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 06:04:53 AM »

Jesus Christ... do we actually need another thread like this?

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 08:51:35 AM »

This thread should be, Where will Santorum work as a lobbyist in 2007?

Here is Mr. Confidence again, Conan if there is something I admire about you, you are so sure and self-confident.  Hopefully that confidence won't be shot when Santorum and Kean win Smiley
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 10:55:23 AM »

Santorum's already spent over $7 million on TV ads, meaning both candidates are at financial parity.

Give me some numbers to back up that they're at financial parity.

Yes. Anyone who puts PA-8 or PA-10 as anything but Republican Favored at this point is living in fantasy land. PA-7 is also not a pure tossup.

Highlighted the key to the above paragraph.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 12:37:02 PM »

Give me some numbers to back up that they're at financial parity.

Yes. Anyone who puts PA-8 or PA-10 as anything but Republican Favored at this point is living in fantasy land. PA-7 is also not a pure tossup.

Highlighted the key to the above paragraph.

Jake, You think Stu Rothenberg, Congressional Quarterly, National Journal, Ken Rudin, Charlie Cook, Larry Sabato and Chuck Todd are living in "fantasy land"?

Wow
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 12:38:17 PM »

If they think Fitz or Sherwood are in tossup races, then yes, they're in a fantasy land.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 12:44:19 PM »

If they think Fitz or Sherwood are in tossup races, then yes, they're in a fantasy land.

I think Fitz will win; Sherwood is now in the slight lean towards the GOP column.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 12:50:04 PM »

BTW since you're interested in the PA-10 race, the sign wars have begun here. I noticed Carney's team started putting signs out about two weeks ago, and last week Sherwood's team started as well. Santorum and Casey have yet to begin putting signs up in this area at all.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 01:27:59 PM »

BTW since you're interested in the PA-10 race, the sign wars have begun here. I noticed Carney's team started putting signs out about two weeks ago, and last week Sherwood's team started as well. Santorum and Casey have yet to begin putting signs up in this area at all.

Thanks for the update. I wonderwhen the election time chicanery will occur. On my street alone, two lawn signs for our Govenor have already been stolen.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 01:32:01 PM »

I saw Carney signs ripped apart yesterday driving home from Scranton. Methinks it's already begun.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2006, 01:36:03 PM »

Yes, Casey will win as long as he doesn't rest on his laurels, especially now that Santorum seems to be gaining momentum

I actually think Casey is more in tune with PA as a whole, economically and socially, which is why he'll pull it off. Santorum would see off a stock liberal without too much difficulty

Dave
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2006, 01:40:12 PM »

I saw Carney signs ripped apart yesterday driving home from Scranton. Methinks it's already begun.

What do you think about the news that Carney's new tax plan:

Cut federal income taxes for the middle class.
- A $10,000 per year tax deduction for college tuition.
- A "new baby tax credit" to help parents with the expenses of a new child.
"We need to support our hardworking families with tangible measures -- bigger tax breaks for child care and lower taxes for the middle class," said Carney. "It is time to stop giving tax breaks to millionaires and start cutting taxes for our working families who need the help most."

Could it help win over fiscally conservative voters? Seems like he's got a shot of winning if he keeps running as the "Republican who's not Don Sherwood."
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2006, 01:47:57 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2006, 01:51:54 PM by Tredrick »

Yes, Casey will win as long as he doesn't rest on his laurels, especially now that Santorum seems to be gaining momentum

I actually think Casey is more in tune with PA as a whole, economically and socially, which is why he'll pull it off. Santorum would see off a stock liberal without too much difficulty

Dave

Casey has no laurels to rest on.

Santorum may not be the best campaigner since Truman, but he is an excellent campaigner.

Casey, on the other hand, main campaign is "I'm Bob Casey's son."  That won't be enough.  Santorum in a squeaker.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2006, 01:50:10 PM »

I like the two deductions. A tuition tax credit would be a step in the right direction toward government subsidization of college education. The second one is fairly good as well. I'd like to see how this is made revenue neutral though. I'm sure he'll be putting out an awful lot of money with this system, money even that a repeal of the tax break for the wealthy won't generate. That may be the sticking point with fiscal conservatives.

What would be ideal is if the Democrats could've recruited an actual social conservative to run against Sherwood. Carney still has an outside shot at winning, but that chance would go up considerably if he could cut into the conservative base.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2006, 02:52:11 PM »

Casey, on the other hand, main campaign is "I'm Bob Casey's son."  That won't be enough.  Santorum in a squeaker.

You know what's funny?  I've never heard Casey say that.  Not once.  Only the Santorumites are saying it.  If anything Santorum's campaign message has been "vote for me, I'm an incumbant".  Casey's response has been "and what a bad incumbant you've been".
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2006, 07:21:04 AM »

I have a pretty good felling that Casey is going to win.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2006, 01:31:24 PM »

Since you live in the media market, I would assume you've actually seen the ads.

http://www.bobcasey.com/feature/record/

Gee, he actually mentions his accomplishments and Santorum's crappy record.

You know what's funny?  I've never heard Casey say that.  Not once.  Only the Santorumites are saying it.  If anything Santorum's campaign message has been "vote for me, I'm an incumbant".  Casey's response has been "and what a bad incumbant you've been".

Based on the ads of his I've watched, I'm going to have to assume you are right.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies