Alberta a Canadian Texas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:30:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Alberta a Canadian Texas
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alberta a Canadian Texas  (Read 382 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2021, 07:18:45 AM »

How true is Alberta a Canadian Texas?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 07:40:05 AM »

Surely its more an extension of the strongly GOP states to its south?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 11:59:26 AM »

Not really.  It is a fairly educated province and while it usually votes Conservative, that is more due to view Liberals are hostile to province rather than necessarily overly right wing.  Yes it leans right, but it was generally the Progressive Conservatives who governed and they would be like Rockefeller Republicans.  UCP who is in power now is more GOP like, but they are super unpopular and trailing in polls and likely to lose in 2023.  Now true both places due to demographic changes are shifting leftward but I would say relatively speaking Alberta is further from the median Canadian voter than Texas is from median American voter.  But in absolute sense, Alberta is quite a bit more progressive than Texas, but Canada is in general a lot more left leaning than US is.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 01:49:25 PM »

Surely its more an extension of the strongly GOP states to its south?

Two-thirds of Albertans live in cities in Calgary and Edmonton, both of which have populations of over 1 million.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 12:44:02 AM »

I'd say it's fairly accurate although the average Texan has views that are closer to the average American than the average Albertan has to the average Canadian

In short Alberta is more of a outlier politically but culturally and philosophically it's similar to Texas
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 06:54:01 AM »

Not really.  It is a fairly educated province and while it usually votes Conservative, that is more due to view Liberals are hostile to province rather than necessarily overly right wing.  Yes it leans right, but it was generally the Progressive Conservatives who governed and they would be like Rockefeller Republicans.  UCP who is in power now is more GOP like, but they are super unpopular and trailing in polls and likely to lose in 2023.  Now true both places due to demographic changes are shifting leftward but I would say relatively speaking Alberta is further from the median Canadian voter than Texas is from median American voter.  But in absolute sense, Alberta is quite a bit more progressive than Texas, but Canada is in general a lot more left leaning than US is.
Alberta has quite a different history and didn’t have two wars fought over slavery nor did it ever have actual Jim Crow laws.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 04:39:16 PM »

I'd say it's fairly accurate although the average Texan has views that are closer to the average American than the average Albertan has to the average Canadian

In short Alberta is more of a outlier politically but culturally and philosophically it's similar to Texas

I actually don't think Alberta on issues is that much of an outlier.  Quebec is probably more distinct.  I think voting patterns give false impression Alberta is far more conservative than it really is.  Federally its votes Conservative more due to regionalism.  Provincially, PCs were a big tent party and quite moderate.  Yes UCP is a lot more right wing, but Kenney is trailing badly in polls and likely a one term wonder so I think Alberta being quite right wing is more a stereotype than reality.  Rural Alberta yes is very conservative, but two main cities much less so.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies