Lori Lightfoot states she'll only give 1-on-1 interviews to "Black and Brown" journalists
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 09:48:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Lori Lightfoot states she'll only give 1-on-1 interviews to "Black and Brown" journalists
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Lori Lightfoot states she'll only give 1-on-1 interviews to "Black and Brown" journalists  (Read 4624 times)
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2021, 05:37:11 PM »

Garbage mayor and HP
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2021, 05:44:22 PM »

Wow, so many left-wingers rushing to Lightfoot's defense!

...Oh wait, no one is, and pretty much every left-winger here is rightfully calling her out on her stupidity. Seriously, I hate performative activism as much as the next guy (and I actually have to deal with it more than most, who probably just read an annoying Tweet and conclude that it's the biggest issue of the 21st century) but the false equivalency drawn between this and what Trump/Republicans do, or implying that there's a double standard against them is downright silly.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2021, 05:44:34 PM »

Anyone with a mind knows that Black and Latino citizens have a very specific issue set that require focused attention. Speaking to Black and Brown journalists exclusively is not racist, it is helping to close a long term gap of minority issues not being heard.

Lightfoot is free to elevate the voices of  Black and Brown journalists by giving them as many interviews as she pleases.  The problem is with her pat denial of giving any time to White journalists soley on the basis of their race.  While her ideas supposedly behind her sentiment might not be sincere (I suspect she is just trying to avoid unfriendly media), her rhetoric is no less divisive. 

That she feels like she can get away with this shows how illiberal, dangerous and un-American critical race theory is.   

Did she say she wouldn't interview with white journalists just because they are white? Just because she is offering exclusive interview to Black and Hispanic journalist doesn't mean she hates white people. With that said, most people of all colors would probably preferred to be interviewed by a white journalist anyway because white people are seen as more credible by all races as it is, so it's not like Lightfoot is really doing any harm to white journalists.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2021, 05:58:47 PM »

I see we East Asians are rejected by both the Stephen Miller white nationalist types and the Lori Lightfoot "Black and Brown only" types.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2021, 06:16:14 PM »

Still waiting to see a picture of this woman that doesn't look like the Bass Pro Shops logo.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2021, 06:39:25 PM »

It is this kind of identity politics nonsense that feeds into Republican culture war messaging-and I'm saying this as a black person. Lightfoot is once again demonstrating how awful of a Mayor she has been. She is one of those unique politicians (along with Andrew Cuomo and Bill DeBlasio, to give a few other names) who has managed to upset both the right and the left.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2021, 06:53:01 PM »

Imagine if Trump had declared that only white journalists could ask him questions.

You know what they say - racism is prejudice + power.  Wink
Octowakandi
Octosteel
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2021, 07:15:53 PM »

We had Republicans attempt to establish what was essentially a white supremacist caucus in the House, so I do not want to hear any "But if Republicans did" arguments.

Anyone with a mind knows that Black and Latino citizens have a very specific issue set that require focused attention. Speaking to Black and Brown journalists exclusively is not racist, it is helping to close a long term gap of minority issues not being heard.

Imagine if Trump had declared that only white journalists could ask him questions.

Why would you care? Aren't you a Sanders supporter?
Personally, I wish there was a way to silence all non white Atlas posters. I hear enough from white people as is in life and think it's ridiculous that even online, I have to hear from white voices and their opinions. This site would be better if we could make it purely a vehicle for non white voices like lfromnj, Deadprez, OSR, etc.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2021, 07:20:12 PM »

She is also still mandating masks despite CDC guidance. Awful mayor.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2021, 07:43:52 PM »

Wow, so many left-wingers rushing to Lightfoot's defense!

...Oh wait, no one is, and pretty much every left-winger here is rightfully calling her out on her stupidity. Seriously, I hate performative activism as much as the next guy (and I actually have to deal with it more than most, who probably just read an annoying Tweet and conclude that it's the biggest issue of the 21st century) but the false equivalency drawn between this and what Trump/Republicans do, or implying that there's a double standard against them is downright silly.

The obvious purpose of the statement is to establish plausible deniability when it comes to controlling press access. Obviously, "the left" has nothing to do with that underlying motive, as it's purely cynical and self-interested.

The deeper problem is that the language and logic of diversity, equity, and inclusion is so murky that it is very easily abused for the sake of power plays like this one. For that there is plenty of blame to be placed. Social justice activism, professional managerial strivers, dysfunctional academic disciplines, and viral outrage stoked over new media have each been important vectors.

While there’s some influence of this sort of language to be found in academia, it does not have the impact on society that many online claim. And at the elementary/secondary level, most of the influence has been confined to meetings and professional development, with little change occurring within the classroom. While sometimes people in my district annoy me, they’re not taking over Congress or writing actual laws will this language which will impact millions of lives. I just think that the influence of performative activism, as well as the number who engage in or support it, is significantly exaggerated.
Pink Panther

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2021, 07:50:49 PM »

The City of Chicago, can you do yourselves a favor and vote out your disgrace for a mayor, please. It doesn't matter if it's in the primary or general, or how close it is, she needs to go. Also, please don't elect someone remotely similar, you wouldn't solve anything. Even though I haven't been anywhere near your city ever, I believe you should get help.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2021, 08:43:46 PM »

The City of Chicago, can you do yourselves a favor and vote out your disgrace for a mayor, please. It doesn't matter if it's in the primary or general, or how close it is, she needs to go. Also, please don't elect someone remotely similar, you wouldn't solve anything. Even though I haven't been anywhere near your city ever, I believe you should get help.
We don’t have a primary up here, just one election for mayor and a runoff.

I mean, hopefully the rumors going around that we will get a candidate from the CTU is true come 2023.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2021, 08:49:19 PM »

We had Republicans attempt to establish what was essentially a white supremacist caucus in the House, so I do not want to hear any "But if Republicans did" arguments.

Why would you care? Aren't you a Sanders supporter?
Personally, I wish there was a way to silence all non white Atlas posters. I hear enough from white people as is in life and think it's ridiculous that even online, I have to hear from white voices and their opinions. This site would be better if we could make it purely a vehicle for non white voices like lfromnj, Deadprez, OSR, etc.

Hyperbole much?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2021, 09:18:13 PM »

Mayor Lightfoot performatively & pointlessly feigns progressivism, news at 11.

But seriously, if you (rightly) had a problem with Trump choosing to only take questions from right-wing news media like Fox News, Newsmax, & OANN, yet don't see the problem with this, then there's an exact word for that & it's "hypocrisy."

Is the Forum’s biggest Biden stan really trying to give us lessons on press availability?

I just about died, lol
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2021, 09:43:10 PM »

Glad Houston remains the largest city to elect a *good* LGBT mayor.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2021, 09:50:49 PM »

Lol what a loser.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2021, 09:50:50 PM »

Surely this is a violation of some law somewhere?

Being a racist isn't illegal, no.

But that's what Lori Lightfoot is.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2021, 10:30:12 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2021, 10:55:16 PM by QAnonKelly »

Where does one draw the line on this? Does mixed race count? What kind of mixed race? Do mixed race people who look more white count? I have cousins who are Korean on the other side of their family. Two look white, two look Korean. Do you only pick the ones who look Korean? Are East Asians “brown”? Do people of Iranian descent (who are actually mostly white) count? North Africans? Etc.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2021, 10:58:11 PM »

Where does one draw the line on this? Does mixed race count? What kind of mixed race? Do mixed race people who look more white count? I have cousins who are Korean on the other side of their family. Two look white, two look Korean. Do you only pick the ones who look Korean? Are East Asians “brown”? Do people of Iranian descent (who are actually mostly white) count? North Africans? Etc.
I've noted before that a lot of "woke policy" is only truly feasible if the US had South Africa-style official racial categories and designations for all citizens
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2021, 11:12:56 PM »

I've noted before that a lot of "woke policy" is only truly feasible if the US had South Africa-style official racial categories and designations for all citizens

Well, thats the logical conclusion of the racial agenda pushed by the left in this country.  We’re about halfway there.  This story would have been unthinkable in the US 8 years ago
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2021, 11:27:17 PM »

Behavior like Lightfoot's hurts the cause of racial justice. She should be ashamed.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2021, 01:39:41 AM »

Well, thats the logical conclusion of the racial agenda pushed by the left in this country.  We’re about halfway there.  This story would have been unthinkable in the US 8 years ago

Looking at the posts and recommends, it’s certainly not the Atlas Left.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2021, 01:49:50 AM »

^and once again, it's laughable to count Lightfoot as "left". She's a generic Chicago machine hack politician who hasn't really done sh!t to reach out to the left, and is no doubt only throwing in this policy as a means of gatekeeping scrutiny to her as Averroes implied. Plus if she was a legitimate woke true believer, maybe she'd actually do something about the continued Chicago PD brutality instead of just boosting their budget with no strings attached, or completely ignoring their own ignoring of black neighborhoods and the soaring crime and murders there, or actually done something during ICE's 2019 reign of terror in Chicago besides issue a few "Trump is bad" press release statements. But of course she has no actual concern on those issues.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2021, 04:00:53 AM »

Tragically for Lightfoot, she has forgotten that although you can be as woke as you want, you can never, ever inconvenience reporters, the highest caste of humanity. The tendency for journalists to self mythologise completely outweighs the radlibs rock solid racial solidarity.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2021, 06:46:57 AM »

Should be impeached if she refuses to resign.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies