ID-GOV 2022: Janice McGeachin In
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:11:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ID-GOV 2022: Janice McGeachin In
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: ID-GOV 2022: Janice McGeachin In  (Read 6556 times)
JMT

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2021, 02:38:57 PM »

I didn't see a previously created mega-thread for the 2022 Idaho Governor race, so I created one. Please feel free to merge this with another thread if I missed it.

Today, Lieutenant Governor Janice McGeachin announced she is running for Governor. This sets up a likely primary challenge against incumbent Governor Brad Little (who hasn't appeared to formally announce he's running again, but I'm assuming he will?)

user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 03:41:19 PM »

Their relationship has been quite rocky and she spoke out against his COVID-19 restrictions quite forcefully so not too shocking.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 05:19:39 PM »

Seems like Kristi Noem 2.0. Bummer.
Duke of York

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 07:51:26 PM »

if Little runs for reelection she could very be the slight favorite. McGeachin signed on the Texas lawsuit to overturn the election, and is anti abortion and anti LGBT rights.  She is also opposed to the minimum wage.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 02:53:15 PM »

She is also opposed to the minimum wage.

Like entirely?! I didn't even realize that was a position that existed outside fringe incel libertarian circles. Freakin dingbats.

Or do you just mean the mainstream GOP position, in that she's opposed to raising it?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 11:27:31 PM »

McGeachin's political campaign advisor calls for the execution of police in America:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/she-wants-to-be-governor-her-crony-keeps-talking-about-killing-cops
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 11:30:44 PM »

So who's the Billie Sutton to at least make it close?

So much for the law and order right.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 11:47:26 PM »

Sadly unlike in SD there are no sitting D candidates from outside Boise (or Pocatello or Sun Valley) who can run on any sort of credible rural appeal.

Paulette was probably the best we were going to get!
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 02:56:44 AM »

Sadly unlike in SD there are no sitting D candidates from outside Boise (or Pocatello or Sun Valley) who can run on any sort of credible rural appeal.

No random Liberal Business owner from a rural area with some delusions of Grandeur that the party can recruit ?
ChelseaT
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 03:55:00 AM »

No random Liberal Business owner from a rural area with some delusions of Grandeur that the party can recruit ?

A liberal isn't going to make it close. Idaho dems do better with candidates who'd be Republicans pretty much anywhere else. I could see Dr. John Rusche the former state house minority leader making it somewhat close. He's popular in his home region, and really only lost because Trump was on the ballot.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 08:20:51 AM »

Her campaign merch oozes "born to shid, forced to wipe, brothers!"
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 09:56:16 AM »

Yeah...also Idaho is redder than South Dakota, and 2022 isn't going to be as Dem-friendly as 2018, sooooo

Any idea why the gubernatorial race was relatively close (<15 points) in the red wave of 2014? Sabato even had the race as "Likely R" on Election Day so there must have been something going on to suggest it was slightly competitive? I know Otter had a tough primary but wondering if there's more to it than that.
ChelseaT
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 02:09:15 PM »

Yeah...also Idaho is redder than South Dakota, and 2022 isn't going to be as Dem-friendly as 2018, sooooo

Any idea why the gubernatorial race was relatively close (<15 points) in the red wave of 2014? Sabato even had the race as "Likely R" on Election Day so there must have been something going on to suggest it was slightly competitive? I know Otter had a tough primary but wondering if there's more to it than that.
Balukoff is pretty conservative. Made a big deal about being a strong supporter of gun rights and voting for Romney. There’s also a certain element of the far right that hated otter because he wasn’t afraid to use the guard against neo nazi communes.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2021, 02:18:18 PM »

I really don't see McGeachin outdoing 2014 Fulcher in 2022. Otter won by 7.77%. I would guess Little wins by over 8 at least, unless things go REALLY south in Idaho and we reimpose COVID restrictions through the end of the year.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2021, 09:17:54 PM »

Balukoff is pretty conservative. Made a big deal about being a strong supporter of gun rights and voting for Romney. There’s also a certain element of the far right that hated otter because he wasn’t afraid to use the guard against neo nazi communes.
TIL:Neo Nazi Commumes exist apparently.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2021, 07:43:08 PM »

Yet another Republican has entered the primary race. Steve Bradshaw, a Bonner County Commissioner, announced today:

https://redoubtnews.com/2021/07/commissioner-bradshaw-announces-for-idaho-governor/
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2021, 02:45:51 AM »

Yet another Republican has entered the primary race. Steve Bradshaw, a Bonner County Commissioner, announced today:

https://redoubtnews.com/2021/07/commissioner-bradshaw-announces-for-idaho-governor/

Hard to see how Little loses this with such a divided opposition.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2021, 08:51:20 AM »

Of course, Little has not announced yet, but I would be surprised if he didn't run again. He's been fundraising for a while and has taken in some big money.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2021, 09:23:14 AM »

Of course, Little has not announced yet, but I would be surprised if he didn't run again. He's been fundraising for a while and has taken in some big money.
Is there any geographical divide in Idaho that his opponents can leverage in the primary ? like trying to paint him as the canidate of boise or something ?
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2021, 09:28:42 AM »

Is there any geographical divide in Idaho that his opponents can leverage in the primary ? like trying to paint him as the canidate of boise or something ?
I don't think that will happen. If it does, it won't stick. Little is very much more a rancher type. He's from Emmett.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2021, 09:30:54 AM »

I don't think that will happen. If it does, it won't stick. Little is very much more a rancher type. He's from Emmett.

I'm wondering if Resenment against the rapid population growth in Ada County is going to play a role in this primary ?. It might be allow a far-right Canidate attract some more moderate support by taking a populist postion on that issue against traditional republican orthordoxy.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2021, 10:26:13 AM »

I'm wondering if Resenment against the rapid population growth in Ada County is going to play a role in this primary ?. It might be allow a far-right Canidate attract some more moderate support by taking a populist postion on that issue against traditional republican orthordoxy.
It didn't help Wayne Richey in the Boise mayoral election in 2019. That was pretty much his entire platform and he only got 847 votes (out of over 53k).
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2021, 10:32:18 AM »

It didn't help Wayne Richey in the Boise mayoral election in 2019. That was pretty much his entire platform and he only got 847 votes (out of over 53k).
Isn't boise proper pretty liberal and democratic with relatively few republican votes ? I'm thinking such a message would resonate more in the suburbs  ?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2021, 10:35:12 AM »

Isn't boise proper pretty liberal and democratic with relatively few republican votes ? I'm thinking such a message would resonate more in the suburbs  ?

Yeah, Boise itself is liberal. The suburbs are still fairly conservative, although I feel like that's slowly changing with population growth and general trends.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2021, 10:48:06 AM »

Yeah, Boise itself is liberal. The suburbs are still fairly conservative, although I feel like that's slowly changing with population growth and general trends.
Exactly. Growth/housing/property taxes are major issues here. Right now, most of the focus from Little's challengers is on COVID restrictions and vaccine/mask mandates.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies