Good summer volunteering opportunities?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:46:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Good summer volunteering opportunities?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Good summer volunteering opportunities?  (Read 308 times)
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2021, 01:54:04 PM »

This doesn't really fit any board perfectly, but hopefully it's an acceptable topic.

Long story short, I'm an undergrad student and am currently looking to volunteer over the next three months to pad my (relatively sparse) resume for an important application I have to complete next year. So, I figured I would ask if any of you had any experience with (or just knowledge of) remote volunteering opportunities that would be suitable for a college student and are related to politics, policy, voting, etc. Ideally, it's something that I would be able to work on regularly throughout the summer and spend at least several hours a week doing, rather than just sporadically completing scattered projects every once and a while. I've found a few options but aren't super invested in any of them, so I decided it couldn't hurt to crowdsource some ideas from people who I'm sure have some similar interests.

Thanks in advance!
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 02:23:00 PM »

Do you live by a national or state park? You could volunteer there or even get a youth job there.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 04:00:20 PM »

Volunteer in politics if you want, but putting it on your resume will be an albatross you will struggle to put behind you, at least when just starting out.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 04:15:17 PM »

Volunteer in politics if you want, but putting it on your resume will be an albatross you will struggle to put behind you, at least when just starting out.

I understand what you're saying, but I'll specify that the application I was referring to is an application for an academic program. For said academic program, I'm more or less just supposed to demonstrate a certain degree of general involvement in political and policy matters.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 12:46:54 AM »

Idealist.org is the most obvious and immediate answer.

It's the 'USAJOBs' of the nonprofit/non-Federal intern/volunteer world.

Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 08:49:45 AM »

pad my (relatively sparse) resume for an important application I have to complete next year.

It would depend on what the upcoming application is to shape what kind of activity you might want to do in the short term. I review resumes for my employer as a collateral duty, and I'm always interested to see how young applicants present their past summer experiences. Some make month as a lifeguard into a life-changing experience, while others put one phrase about an internship with their state legislator as just checking a box. In my line of work, the latter is more relevant than the former, but if I see a spark of initiative in an unlikely place, versus someone being presented something but not making much of it, I'll probably go with the former.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies