This Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:14:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Name?
The Chronicles of Tory Scum

This Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

This Once Dignified Party of Ours

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: This Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy  (Read 55636 times)
cp
United Kingdom

« on: September 28, 2021, 03:55:24 PM »

Mostly that article just tells you that Matthew Parris is extremely right-wing these days. But then he's started to openly advocate for eugenics so, no surprise.

I'm an armchair observer from overseas, obviously, and a left-wing one to boot, but it looks an awful lot to me like the Johnson government only seems "leftist" compared to the towering hard-right Thatcher legacy and the (overstated and mildly unfair) Blair-Brown reputation for capitulating to that legacy. I can't think of anything they've done that's made stateside news that would have been out of place for an early- or mid-twentieth-century Tory government, except maybe for some of the authoritarianism-adjacent policing/Home Office stuff.

I mean the Blair and Brown governments were a mile to the left of the Johnson government. Almost everything 'left-wing' that Parris is screaming about was just standard practice then and abandoned during the Cameron-Osborne era.

Massive government subventions to private corporations spun as investments in welfare, creeping authoritarianism in immigration and crime policy, kowtowing to the finance sector, lip service to LGBT+ people that aren't affluent white men, Atlanticist foreign policy in service of thinly veiled neo-colonialism, and laughably shallow commitment to government/ministerial accountability.

Please tell me which regime I've referred to.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies