This Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 01:28:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 56
Poll
Question: Name?
The Chronicles of Tory Scum

This Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

This Once Dignified Party of Ours

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: This Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy  (Read 63689 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: November 11, 2023, 08:52:44 AM »

Does anyone have that insane quote somebody leaked about Gove that described him like a demonic entity? i believe it came from the truss adminstration.

Was it Jason Stein (the political mastermind who told Prince Andrew to do *that* interview) briefing that Gove was a "sadist", who got off on undermining PMs, and had a “darkness inside him” that “corrupts his soul”?

I think he was fired after brefing out that Truss thought Sajid Javid was a "sh*t", and he threatened to publicly oppose the government at PMQs unless Stein was let go.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #776 on: November 11, 2023, 09:24:51 AM »

Does anyone have that insane quote somebody leaked about Gove that described him like a demonic entity? i believe it came from the truss adminstration.

Was it Jason Stein (the political mastermind who told Prince Andrew to do *that* interview) briefing that Gove was a "sadist", who got off on undermining PMs, and had a “darkness inside him” that “corrupts his soul”?

I think he was fired after brefing out that Truss thought Sajid Javid was a "sh*t", and he threatened to publicly oppose the government at PMQs unless Stein was let go.

Yes, great stuff.

I love how Liz and the people in her orbit seemed to not even understand the concept of why leaking might be frowned upon.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #777 on: November 11, 2023, 11:06:29 AM »

Would this have been briefed by Badenoch or her team in order to rule out Gove for the Home Secretary job and also boost her image as a family values Conservative?

Presumably. It's been briefed in a way that praises Badenoch, paints Gove as a homewrecker, and then treads over the (unrelated) breakdown of his marriage. The only territory it doesn't cover are the old innuendos about his orientation.

Does it mention, well you know, white powder??
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #778 on: November 11, 2023, 12:33:48 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2023, 01:26:35 PM by Torrain »

Does it mention, well you know, white powder??
Don't they couldn't find a way to shoehorn it in.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #779 on: November 12, 2023, 08:13:30 AM »

Couple of notable bits in the Sunday Times:
  • There's another raft of Tory MPs who are planning to retire, but they've agreed to hold off until next year, to prevent "a stench of death" overwhelming the government during the King's Speech and Autumn Statement. Includes the likes of Kit Malthouse, Greg Clark, Robert Halfon.
  • While Braverman's supporters estimate their strength is 40-60 strong, Sunak believes that (based on attendence at pro-Braverman social events) there are only 6-12 ride-or-die for Suella MPs - a hardcore that includes Cates, Kruger and Lee Anderson.
  • MPs are taking some of the claims from Dorries' book seriously - and demands have been made to the Chief Whip to share whether his predecessors were aware of some of the grimmest allegations.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #780 on: November 12, 2023, 10:27:31 AM »

• There's another raft of Tory MPs who are planning to retire, but they've agreed to hold off until next year, to prevent "a stench of death" overwhelming the government during the King's Speech and Autumn Statement. Includes the likes of Kit Malthouse, Greg Clark, Robert Halfon.
  • While Braverman's supporters estimate their strength is 40-60 strong, Sunak believes that (based on attendence at pro-Braverman social events) there are only 6-12 ride-or-die for Suella MPs - a hardcore that includes Cates, Kruger and Lee Anderson.
  • MPs are taking some of the claims from Dorries' book seriously - and demands have been made to the Chief Whip to share whether his predecessors were aware of some of the grimmest allegations.

Her defeat at the next GE is more fervently desired than most - deeply sinister individual.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #781 on: November 12, 2023, 10:50:14 AM »

Her defeat at the next GE is more fervently desired than most - deeply sinister individual.

I almost miss her predecessor.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #782 on: November 13, 2023, 10:34:39 AM »

Nick Gibb, the longtime Schools Minister, resigned from government today. He also announced plans to stand down at the next election.

His constituency of Bognor Regis and Littlehampton had a 22k majority in 2019, and Gibb held it with majorities larger than 5k throughout the Blair years. It remains *largely* intact after the boundary change next year, and looks like it'll stay blue.

So, another one for the chicken-runners and former FT journalists to take a stab at.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #783 on: November 13, 2023, 11:15:39 AM »

Don’t think Cleverly’s leadership chances have been done much good by his new job
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #784 on: November 13, 2023, 11:36:18 AM »

Do these changes mean that LIam Byrne's wretched note can - finally - be laid to rest?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #785 on: November 13, 2023, 01:29:12 PM »

Andrea Jenkyns has tweeted her letter to Graham Brady.

LOL
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #786 on: November 13, 2023, 02:34:37 PM »

A former education minister!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #787 on: November 13, 2023, 04:09:53 PM »

Proper boomer Facebook post that
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #788 on: November 14, 2023, 04:36:52 AM »

Nick Gibb, the longtime Schools Minister, resigned from government today. He also announced plans to stand down at the next election.

His constituency of Bognor Regis and Littlehampton had a 22k majority in 2019, and Gibb held it with majorities larger than 5k throughout the Blair years. It remains *largely* intact after the boundary change next year, and looks like it'll stay blue.

So, another one for the chicken-runners and former FT journalists to take a stab at.

In the long term, I actually think it’s a seat Labour could have a shot in. As Brighton became unaffordable people moved to Worthing which has swung heavily to us, and now Worthing is starting to become unaffordable so people are going to Lewes & Littlehampton. I don’t think it’d happen next time, but in the next 10-20 years as the ancient boomers die off I could see Bognor & Littlehampton following Worthing.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #789 on: November 14, 2023, 06:52:58 AM »

In the long term, I actually think it’s a seat Labour could have a shot in. As Brighton became unaffordable people moved to Worthing which has swung heavily to us, and now Worthing is starting to become unaffordable so people are going to Lewes & Littlehampton. I don’t think it’d happen next time, but in the next 10-20 years as the ancient boomers die off I could see Bognor & Littlehampton following Worthing.

When West Sussex gets 9 seats on its own rather than having to share with East Sussex (and that's probably only one review away) then it'll be impossible to keep the two towns together in a single seat. At that point Littlehampton (which has always had a bit of a Labour vote) is quite likely to be combined with the western outskirts of Worthing.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #790 on: November 14, 2023, 10:53:03 AM »

Which makes it even more tragic that she misses actually being a boomer by a decade.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #791 on: November 14, 2023, 12:36:33 PM »

Which makes it even more tragic that she misses actually being a boomer by a decade.

I remember Obama (born in 1961) being described as the first post-'Boomer' president when he was first elected. It's almost as if these categories are not immune to being tweaked in order to fit certain narratives and prejudices. Or, perhaps more to the point, in order to fill the pockets of marketing companies.

YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #792 on: November 14, 2023, 04:39:50 PM »

I remember Obama (born in 1961) being described as the first post-'Boomer' president when he was first elected. It's almost as if these categories are not immune to being tweaked in order to fit certain narratives and prejudices. Or, perhaps more to the point, in order to fill the pockets of marketing companies.

I am not a fan in general of drawing arbitary lines between "generations" and giving them silly names, but in particular I have no idea how anyone can think that someone born in 1961 can be seen as the same generation as someone born in the immediate post-war years, certainly in a UK context.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #793 on: November 14, 2023, 04:47:24 PM »

It all gets a little complicated here as there were two baby booms (late 1940s until about 1951, late 1950s and early 1960s) rather than just the one. With the extra oddity that both cohorts had, as a collective group, more 'luck' in economic terms than those who immediately followed.
Logical

« Reply #794 on: November 14, 2023, 06:21:42 PM »

Boomer is a mindset
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #795 on: November 14, 2023, 07:22:44 PM »

It all gets a little complicated here as there were two baby booms (late 1940s until about 1951, late 1950s and early 1960s) rather than just the one. With the extra oddity that both cohorts had, as a collective group, more 'luck' in economic terms than those who immediately followed.

What happened from 1951 to 1958ish, then? Did the economy in the UK slump back after an initial post-war/post-Marshall Plan bounce?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #796 on: November 15, 2023, 07:42:51 AM »

I am not a fan in general of drawing arbitary lines between "generations" and giving them silly names, but in particular I have no idea how anyone can think that someone born in 1961 can be seen as the same generation as someone born in the immediate post-war years, certainly in a UK context.

Its a fair point, but "generation" tends to work out at around 18 years in this case as it likely should.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #797 on: November 16, 2023, 10:03:46 AM »

There always debate towards the end of a generation. So while the census bureau says the Baby Boomers were born 1946-1964, I think culturally Obama is more Gen X. At the same time, he was raised by white grandparents in Kansas so I definitly see boomer ness in him. I think Obama gets along better with Joe Biden/Bill Clinton than Kamala Harris/Cory Booker despite be closer in age.

I'm 24, born in 1999. Most people lump me with Gen Z but culturally I relate more to millennials. Although I think zillenial is the best term since I don't quite fit in either generation.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #798 on: November 19, 2023, 05:32:33 AM »

Bob Stewart is standing down as MP for Beckenham next year. Long-standing soldier with a decorated if controversial career, which he parlayed into commentator gigs, before running for the Commons in 2010. He surrendered the Tory whip this year, following his conviction for public disorder, after racially taunting an activist.

The existing constituency has a pretty durable Tory majority - 14-20k over the past decade. The redrawn seat of Beckenham and Penge looks a lot more Labour-friendly, with a notional Tory majority of only 429 in 2019. Electoral Calculus has it as an easy pickup for them next year, with a majority approaching 10k.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #799 on: November 19, 2023, 06:31:48 AM »

Of course he had a substantial pre-politics career, but I still didn't realise he was as old as 74. That of course means this might have happened anyway, and recent events just reaffirmed it.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 56  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies